PDA

View Full Version : Top 15 best and worst airlines

Gumleaf
October 13th, 2015, 01:41 AM
The website www.escapehere.com (for credit purposes) has listed the top 15 best airlines in the world and also the worst. The criteria is centred around the passenger experience such as availability of on board food/drinks, on time running, entertainment and baggage allowances etc. Which airlines would you add to a particular list or which airline in your opinion should be removed from the list?

http://www.escapehere.com/trending-travel/15-best-airlines-in-the-world/
15 best:

1 Cathay Pacific
2 Qatar Airways
3 Singapore Airlines
4 Emirates
5 Turkish Airlines
6 ANA All Nippon Airlines
7 Asiana Airlines
8 Etihad
9 Lufthansa
10 Qantas
11 Air New Zealand
12 Delta
13 Air Canada
14 Jetblue
15 Westjet

http://www.escapehere.com/trending-travel/15-worst-airlines-in-the-world/
15 Worst:

1 Air Koryo
2 Bulgaria Air
3 Pegasus Airlines
4 Nepal Airlines
5 Spirit Airlines
6 SmartWings
7 Lion Air
8 China Eastern Airlines
9 RyanAir
10 Pakistan International Airlines
11 EasyJet
12 Tigerair
13 United Airlines
14 Frontier Airlines
15 US Airways

Jaffe
October 13th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Most of the ones listed, I have never used, but here is what I think:
1. RyanAir, even at #9 on the 'worst' list, is too highly rated.
2. Delta should be one step above RyanAir, at the end of the list.
3. KLM/AF is one I generally like. However, the last 2 years, they have switched many of their passengers in my area to Delta, who is quite effective at treating a customer like shit. (I do not know what the relationship between AF/KLM and Delta is, if any). One upside is that once you make your second leg connection to Air France/KLM, you are delighted with the service, as you are comparing it to Delta's second-rate treatment.
4. Recent experience with Air Italia puts them at the top of my list. Wonderful food certainly helped that decision, but the treatment was wonderful as well. (Granted, KLM owns part of Air Italia... what can I say?)
5. A few years ago we had a flight on Thomas Cook. They were absolutely wonderful. I am not sure if they still exist, even.

SethfromMI
October 13th, 2015, 07:07 PM
United is the worst I have experienced for sure

Falcons_11
October 13th, 2015, 09:34 PM
I didn't see Southwest Airlines. I have flown them several times and they always seem to be okay. Where do you rate them?

Uniquemind
October 16th, 2015, 12:39 AM
The list needs to be expanded and clarified.

There are some airlines that only cater within their domestic country or within particular continents.

Airlines really need to be categorized and rated both for their local service experience, as well as their international flight experience.

So the rating system really needs to be done two or 3 times.

This is also probably why Southwest isn't on the list.

---

Another criteria to consider is the Airline's policy on how they train their pilots, staff, and how much the crew relies on automated software for landings, take offs, and for flight readings.

Along with which airspace routes certain airlines will flyover despite risk of some crazy country accidentally shooting your plane out of the sky.

There's a reason Malyasian airlines has a bad reputation and two major plane crashes/destruction with death in recent years.

Lot of it is traced to bad company policy for training, mechanical inspection standards etc..

Like when a plane stops for inspection in countries whose laws for a pilot or mechanic's license are a lower standard compared to the world's highest standard....and the airplane is commissioned into service, I'm skeptical of their safety record.

TLDR: There's more to rate an airline by than just customer experience of the flight itself.

There's all the stuff to rate them by that is behind the scenes and is frankly probably technically boring to research about them, but it could mean your life or a loved one.

canada boy
October 16th, 2015, 03:22 PM
3. KLM/AF is one I generally like. However, the last 2 years, they have switched many of their passengers in my area to Delta, who is quite effective at treating a customer like shit. (I do not know what the relationship between AF/KLM and Delta is, if any). One upside is that once you make your second leg connection to Air France/KLM, you are delighted with the service, as you are comparing it to Delta's second-rate treatment.
4. Recent experience with Air Italia puts them at the top of my list. Wonderful food certainly helped that decision, but the treatment was wonderful as well. (Granted, KLM owns part of Air Italia... what can I say?)
5. A few years ago we had a flight on Thomas Cook. They were absolutely wonderful. I am not sure if they still exist, even.

Cool you go to europe often?I'm from holland and KLM is the best:)

german_boy
October 16th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I would add Austrian (OS/AUA) to the best list. Especially the catering is good. I'd also add Swiss (LX/SWR) and Edelweiss Air (WK/EDW).

Ryanair at rank 9? In my opinion #2 (after Air Koryo of course) ;)

Plane And Simple
October 16th, 2015, 04:48 PM

Yeah Thomas Cook exists still. They focus on holiday charter I want to say though.

--

I fly with easyJet most of the time and I wouldn't rate them as one oft he worst. Granted, it's a low cost and you're cramped, no drinks for free and whatever, but I've gotten same service quality aboard KLM/AFR.

RYR has also been improved a lot lately, I've never flown with them but I've only heard good stuff since the makeover. Of course the RYR stigma is there, which plays a huge part, but I don't think they deserve to be so low.

Uniquemind
October 17th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Yeah Thomas Cook exists still. They focus on holiday charter I want to say though.

--

I fly with easyJet most of the time and I wouldn't rate them as one oft he worst. Granted, it's a low cost and you're cramped, no drinks for free and whatever, but I've gotten same service quality aboard KLM/AFR.

RYR has also been improved a lot lately, I've never flown with them but I've only heard good stuff since the makeover. Of course the RYR stigma is there, which plays a huge part, but I don't think they deserve to be so low.

Well that's another aspect to this discussion.

You got to compare apples to apples.

First class service of one airline compared to another's first class.

Economy/coach to economy coach.

Like I said more details need to be defined for this thread.

makyoch
October 18th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Wooo air koryo my favourite thing in existence

Jaffe
October 18th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Cool you go to europe often?I'm from holland and KLM is the best:)

Yeah, I am from Amsterdam, but live in the USA. So we go home to visit family at least once a year, but usually 2x a year.

Judean Zealot
October 18th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Where's Malaysian Air? :P

crazyBoyjJ
October 18th, 2015, 04:36 PM
I've mostly flew on American Airlines and twice on JetBlue jetblue's service was good

Canadian Dream
October 31st, 2015, 03:24 PM
I'm just saying one thing about Air Canada, while their service is actually really good, they're probably the worst in terms of being on time though. I was a bit disappointed when I took JetBlue, but it was a short flight so I'm not complaining too much. KLM should definitely be in the top 15, by far the best flight I've ever experienced.

wolf g
November 1st, 2015, 03:45 PM
well thank you for the informations

TheLivingLie
November 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM
People say Ryanair and easyjet are really bad, but they really aren't. Easyjets seats are lovely and new and I love the new cabin, it's just so smart! My only problem is that our hold luggage is often damaged, but that's the ground staff a gatwick not easyjet. Gatwick is the worst airport in London imo, but anyway moving onto Ryanair, u get wat u pay for, u can pay 10 quid to get to mainland Europe so u should expect shit quality, but it's not all that shit. I fly Ryanair all the Time and they are the safest airline ever but also one of the most punctual. I fly easyjet when I go to Innsbruck and it's usually delayed but the cabin is really nice

TheLivingLie
November 29th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Oh and SAS business class looks SO GOOD!!!!!!!

Southside
November 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM
Where's Southwest? I know its a budget airline and all but I've never had a negative experience when traveling on SW. Plus you cant beat the free bags, other airlines charge anywhere from $25-60 for a bag.

Porpoise101
November 29th, 2015, 06:13 PM
All I know is that KLM, Delta, and Qatar are great. But KLM is godly quality.

Endeavour
December 21st, 2015, 11:08 AM
Ryanair shouldn't be in the bottom 10 IMO. Quite a few times now we have gone to Ireland for 15-20 return per person. Yes it's a short flight but it gets you there quickly.

Saw above someone mention Thomas Cook. I HATE them, but they are starting to get better now with their new A321s.