PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated instead of VPS

Anthem
October 11th, 2015, 01:39 AM
FYI: I don't mean to advertise if I am, I am just making some suggestions and hoping to make your search easier, as I have been researching hosting providers for over a year now.

I noticed the site is constantly giving 503's at some hours tonight and I did some sniffing around and found out that you guys use Linode as your hosting provider.

Since a VPS can't really handle a site like this without a exorbitant amount of money, you should just switch to dedicated servers.

With dedicated servers, you have all the resources that the server has, you basically own the server. You can have what ever OS you wish on a dedicated server.

Dedicated servers don't mean you need to colocate, just google "Dedicated Server Providers" and there will be a rather large amount of results.

If what you see on google doesn't impress you, there is always a forum called WebHostingTalk that has a whole section dedicated to dedicated servers.

StoppingTime
October 12th, 2015, 09:33 AM
It was giving 503s because of a very specific error that is no longer going to be a problem.
And the staff is well aware of what a dedicated server is, it's just not something we need at the moment

ImCoolBeans
October 13th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Since a VPS can't really handle a site like this without a exorbitant amount of money, you should just switch to dedicated servers.

That's very untrue. And sites larger than this can run on a VPS. It's really not a problem, and like Steve said, it's something that we're aware of and have considered, but is not really necessary.