PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Enchiladas

CLS02
October 10th, 2015, 08:08 PM
This post is dedicated to my friend here, Jaffe. He is totally kewl beans and I like him a lot! :whoops:

=======

South Texas Cheese Enchiladas with Chile Gravy

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano (use Mexican oregano if available)
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 cup grated mild cheddar cheese (for topping)
10 slices Monterrey Jack cheese (approximately 1/8" x 3/4" x 3")
10 corn tortillas
1 cup finely chopped onion
4 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a heavy skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over moderate heat. Add chili powder and stir for 30 seconds. (* In a separate skillet, brown 1-pound lean ground beef, as an option.)

In a jar with lid, mix flour with cold water, shake well. Add to chili powder, stirring constantly. Add cumin, oregano and garlic seasonings. (* Add the browned ground beef, if desired.) Reduce heat to simmer, stirring frequently until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove sauce from heat. Reserve 1/2 cup cheese for top.

Heat 1/3 cup of oil in a shallow 10" skillet. Using tongs, dip tortillas one at a time in hot oil until flexible, about 5 seconds per side; then dip in above sauce. Lay tortilla in 9x13" baking dish and put 1/10th of the cheese and about 2 tsp. of chopped onions, on each tortilla and roll. Arrange enchiladas seam side down in baking dish. Pour any remaining sauce over enchiladas, especially on ends, scatter remaining onions over all and top with reserved cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes.

===========

My mom and I made this dish a couple weekends ago. We have made it before a few times but this time seemed like it was easier. It does create a big mess, so it's easier to have the sink filled with soapy water and then also if you have another person to help.

CLS02
October 11th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Haahahaha Nobody said anything yet and Jaffe has not seen it yet. DANG!!!!

:eek:

Jaffe
October 11th, 2015, 02:27 PM
This post is dedicated to my friend here, Jaffe. He is totally kewl beans and I like him a lot! :whoops:

=======

South Texas Cheese Enchiladas with Chile Gravy

===========

My mom and I made this dish a couple weekends ago. We have made it before a few times but this time seemed like it was easier. It does create a big mess, so it's easier to have the sink filled with soapy water and then also if you have another person to help.

Whoa! Just saw this! Thanks for the dedication and compliment!
(BTW, if you put an @ sign in front of the name, like CLS02, it sends the person a notice that you mentioned them!)

So now I have to try Mexican food eh? Good timing, since my mom is in Europe so my dad and brother and I get to use her kitchen... she's normally pretty possessive of it!

It seems like a lot of work, but I will have to consider trying this. *Writing shopping list now*

Edit: Can I use a different cheese? Not a fan of cheddar or monterrey (those rubbery blocks of stuff at the market, no?). Or maybe I just don't know where to find the real thing instead of mass-produced stuff.

CLS02
October 11th, 2015, 03:17 PM
(BTW, if you put an @ sign in front of the name, like CLS02, it sends the person a notice that you mentioned them!)

So now I have to try Mexican food eh? Good timing, since my mom is in Europe so my dad and brother and I get to use her kitchen... she's normally pretty possessive of it!

It seems like a lot of work, but I will have to consider trying this. *Writing shopping list now*

Edit: Can I use a different cheese? Not a fan of cheddar or monterrey (those rubbery blocks of stuff at the market, no?). Or maybe I just don't know where to find the real thing instead of mass-produced stuff.
If you are ready for a big mess to clean, it will be worth it. Just be careful making the conversions for measurement and temperatures! They are delicious, Jaffe.

CLS02
October 11th, 2015, 03:18 PM

Some of the Irish cheddars are good, Jaffe. But use any similar cheeses you think might be good!

Jaffe
October 11th, 2015, 03:45 PM
If you are ready for a big mess to clean, it will be worth it. Just be careful making the conversions for measurement and temperatures! They are delicious, Jaffe.

Heh, if it makes a mess, I definitely have to do this while my mom is gone... lol. Or maybe convince my friend to let us do it together, at her house!

Conversions shouldn't be an issue. I live in Los Angeles! We moved here 3 years ago. And there is a little Mexican market walking distance from our house, so I will check there!

CLS02
October 11th, 2015, 03:54 PM
Heh, if it makes a mess, I definitely have to do this while my mom is gone... lol. Or maybe convince my friend to let us do it together, at her house!

Conversions shouldn't be an issue. I live in Los Angeles! We moved here 3 years ago. And there is a little Mexican market walking distance from our house, so I will check there!
Ahhh cool! For some reason I thought you were in England. Anywayz, me being dumb again!

You know Texas Mexican food tastes pretty much different than California Mexican food. See which you like!

Kristikia
October 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Ahhh cool! For some reason I thought you were in England. Anywayz, me being dumb again!

You know Texas Mexican food tastes pretty much different than California Mexican food. See which you like!

Been getting my gmail messages? Sorry, I just didn't want the convo to end

CLS02
October 11th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Been getting my gmail messages? Sorry, I just didn't want the convo to end
ok wait