PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrist

HideInPlainSight
January 31st, 2014, 02:26 PM
[ ... ]

Tarannosaurus
January 31st, 2014, 02:33 PM
Mine was very nice, it was only awkward when my mother was in the room, but she asked if I wanted my mother to leave. Once you get there it's not as scary as you think! Good luck :)

HideInPlainSight
January 31st, 2014, 02:43 PM
[ ... ]

drmindfreak
January 31st, 2014, 04:47 PM
it's always a bit awkward, but no big deal
they just ask you lots of questions and thats kinda annoying, but he wont say anything to your mom if you dont want to, just let him know that

HideInPlainSight
January 31st, 2014, 04:54 PM
[ ... ]

ksdnfkfr
January 31st, 2014, 05:11 PM
Been seeing shrinks, therapists and counselors my whole life.
For me personally there has never been a time when one of them betrayed me to my folks or whatever. They have all seemed too smart for that and knew what and what not to include my parents in. It's usually been working things out with someone smarter and more understanding than others about my issues. usually feel a lot better and not worse after a session.

HideInPlainSight
January 31st, 2014, 05:25 PM
[ ... ]

Katiya
February 9th, 2014, 02:10 AM
Psychiatrist prescribes MEDS! Psychologist talks to you. If you don't want meds refuse to go to a psychiatrist! They prescribe medication. The first thing they say will be "I have ..... That you can take for depression/anxiety ext.. Side effects are weight gain, vomiting, blah blah blah."

Got to a psychologist! That's a counselor or therapist.

I've met bad counselors before. Actually quite a few. I attribute this to being at a much higher IQ than them frankly. Our MHO is awful and employs who ever wants the job or can't get payed privately because they inevitably suck as a counselor. Some of them would say the most assinine things. And naturally I would paint them in a corner and piss them off and we go our separate ways.

I don't know what its like where you are but the cheep ones or State funded may be awful. So don't be surprised or feel bad if it doesn't work out, they are likely a dumb ass. Go private if you can. ;) much much better people there generally. But it is expensive, hence why I don't go.

Also you don't need to get personal until you feel comfortable with the person. A good counselor won't pressure you, but a bad one will. Don't be afraid to ask for a new one if it doesn't work. Best of luck! :)