PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Ways to Cope With Anxiety

ImCoolBeans
January 30th, 2014, 09:02 PM
What methods work best for you when it comes to coping with anxiety?

For me, I've always found deep breathing to be quite helpful, but there are times where it also just doesn't seem to cut it. The specific method I use I've seen referred to as the "4, 4, 4, 4" method.

What you do is take in a deep breath through your nose for 4 seconds, hold it in for 4 seconds, breath out through your mouth for 4 seconds, hold it for 4 seconds, and do that 4 more times. By the time I'm done with that I'm usually pretty concentrated on the breathing and before I know it I'm less anxious than I was before.

thesurvivalist
January 30th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I think of worse things I've been through

ksdnfkfr
January 30th, 2014, 09:44 PM
Breathing techniques like Mike described. Because of my autism I self stimulate (stim or stimming). My main stim is rocking my upper body back and forth. And try to keep my hands busy with things like modeling clay. Like thesurvivalist said, I try putting things into prospective. Really just try keeping it at bay and ride it out the best I can. If all that fails then I have a meltdown. Not fun or pretty, but I do feel some better afterwards.

AlexOnToast
January 31st, 2014, 12:08 PM
I walk around. Sounds overly simple but it works for me :/

DarkHorse4eva
January 31st, 2014, 12:38 PM
i drum with my fingers and feet

Breakeven
January 31st, 2014, 01:09 PM
running , i like to run with really loud music but when i cant i use the Breathing technique or walking around outside till i feel more calm

Harizu
January 31st, 2014, 01:27 PM
I use the breathing technique even if it doesn't work 100% of the time.
I also take a med for anxiety and it helps me a lot, and which is good, it never gives me any side effects.
I also find listening to music with my earphones calming when I'm in a room with much noise and risking to have a meltdown/panic attack.

Tarannosaurus
January 31st, 2014, 01:42 PM
I do that breathing thing too, or I find a distraction, or I stick my head out the window for some fresh air (it's not safe to go for a walk in the evenings).

HideInPlainSight
January 31st, 2014, 01:51 PM
[ ... ]

Miserabilia
January 31st, 2014, 02:06 PM
I'm going to try all these, but I will actually get social anxiety from doing this in public,
so it's kind of a cycle.

Hallie
January 31st, 2014, 05:02 PM
Listening to music usually calms me down, but when I can't get to it, i hum or sing softly and that works really well i don't know why. I'm weird >.<

Thomas01
February 2nd, 2014, 01:59 AM
When it's a bunch of thoughts just bombarding me or like bad memories or mempries that I find a way to turn bad, I just tell myself "okay, that's a thought and my brain is doing it's job. Cool" (not my original idea)

I also like to hear a repetitive sound like tapping my hand on my side or snapping each step i make that my hand swings back (every other). Repetition helps

If I'm alone, just dancing wild to music is great

And lastly I just have something that I carry with me and if I feel anxious, I twist it back and forth (more repetition)

I hope this helps. Stay strong! :)

ImCoolBeans
February 2nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
Listening to music usually calms me down, but when I can't get to it, i hum or sing softly and that works really well i don't know why. I'm weird >.<

You're not weird! Music is a big stress reliever for me too and when I'm feeling anxious and it's not really an appropriate time/place to listen to music humming, singing to yourself or whistling can be great. It helps me keep my mind on the music and not what's causing the anxiety. I do it all of the time.

Hallie
February 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
You're not weird! Music is a big stress reliever for me too and when I'm feeling anxious and it's not really an appropriate time/place to listen to music humming, singing to yourself or whistling can be great. It helps me keep my mind on the music and not what's causing the anxiety. I do it all of the time.

Awesome, Glad to hear it! Helps a lot :)

Paraxiom
February 2nd, 2014, 05:10 PM
Epic music gives me fast-acting induced confidence and motivation, which can help ^.^

zack.zack
February 2nd, 2014, 05:13 PM
deep breathing doesnt always work for me, sometimes i have to get away from what is making me so anxious and go outside for fresh air.

Akasuki
February 7th, 2014, 11:38 PM
I can't cope with it. I'm so ridden with anxiety that nothing ever helps long term. homeopathic remedies help for a few minutes but then it's right back so there's really no use in trying.

Yugen
February 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I'll practice deep breathing and either bounce my leg or move in another way that I find helps release everything.
Not that it's often helpful, but sometimes I'll also think about if I can do anything about what's making me anxious at that moment. If the answer is no, try to move on. My psychologist recommended doing that.

Feraligatr
February 9th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I normally just listen to music or I do something I enjoy doing.

ImCoolBeans
February 12th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Focusing on positive parts of my life helps me forget about the negative parts sometimes. Also setting goals for myself helps my anxiety sometimes because it gives me something to work at rather than just worrying about it.

Etcetera
February 13th, 2014, 12:07 AM
I can't cope with it. I'm so ridden with anxiety that nothing ever helps long term.

^ This.

Gamma Male
February 13th, 2014, 02:13 AM
I twist my ring back and forth around my finger. I also usually wear sunglasses when I go out in public to help with social anxiety. Gives me a sense of security I guess.