PDA

View Full Version : Your life is not over... it's barely begun. [Look, wisdom from an older member!]

Deleted User
January 29th, 2014, 06:26 PM
The title itself sounds like an age old cliche, I know. But it's true.

Warning: incoming wall of text, oops.

When I joined this website, I was a scared little kid. Actually, I was a teenager who hardly knew what being a teenager meant. I was mixed up with adolescence and mental illness and growing up is scary enough for a mentally healthy kid, let alone someone like me. I came here to find support, to find friends, to vent, etc. On many occasions, I thought my life was over. I was very wrong.

As my 19th birthday approaches (okay, it's in a few months but time flies these days), I'm starting to realise that adulthood is different than adolescence. I'm still a dork, I'm still a bit shy and introverted, and I do still live at home with my mother. Hell, most of my time is spent running a relatively popular video game blog and being a geek with others. But there's something freeing about making it this far and knowing that I've grown and will continue to grow.

When I left this site a few months ago, I knew that it was time to move on. I'm still here once in awhile to say hi to people and I still have many a bad day. I dropped out of university recently. But that's okay. Because I'm taking it one day at a time. University wasn't the right thing for me yet. I am, however, looking at job applications and I'm trying to expand my social circle in a new city. Those are baby steps I wasn't sure I could take six months ago.

I think my point is that whether you know me and my story or not, you probably know someone like me. Someone who has come a long way and has proven that when you think life is done, it's not. Those are the people to look up to. Make sure your life is filled with the happiest people you can find. It's okay to say goodbye to people who you know you cannot help. You need to be able to help yourselves first. There's always something waiting for you. You can't wait for someone to save you because no one is coming. There will be people there to cheer you on and pick you up when you fall but no one can save you but yourself. Every moment of your life is precious. And every bad moment is worth it in the end. It builds you up. It's frustrating and painful and tedious, I know, but eventually you'll look back and be able to say "wow, that kid made it through a lot" and that kid was you. You should be proud to look at yourselves then and now and mark down each tiny step of progress you've made.

If you've gotten worse, that's okay too. Sometimes it takes hitting rock bottom to figure out you don't have anywhere else to go but up. It's a lot of work, I'm not going to lie. It's gonna hurt more before it gets better. You're going to feel disappointed more than once. But it doesn't last forever. There are resources you can access, there are people you can talk to. You're never as alone as you think you are.

I never thought I'd be sitting here writing this post. I never thought that I would find meaning in my life. I thought I was destined to be some bump on a log, insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But now I am an artist, a writer, a friend, a sister, a daughter, and many other things. I am happy with who I am because there are people out there who appreciate the small things I do. I promise you that you will come to a point in your life where you will think these things and they will surprise you. And then you'll smile. After that, you keep smiling because the first good thought you have is not one you forget easily.

Keep going guys. I've known a lot of people on this website with many different issues. You're all fantastic people no matter what happens to be going wrong in your lives. No matter how big or small your problem, keep going and it will be worth it. :yes:

~ Jo

P.S. Remember to take note of the little things. If the sun makes you happy, smile about it. If a song makes you joyful, dance to it. If a person makes you laugh, tell them you appreciate them. There are so many things we miss simply because we were never looking.

AlexOnToast
January 29th, 2014, 06:31 PM
This actually did cheer me up quite a bit :) Great post and I wish you every success in life :D

Deleted User
January 29th, 2014, 06:35 PM
This actually did cheer me up quite a bit :) Great post and I wish you every success in life :D

I'm glad and thank you. :)

I haven't needed this place in a long time but I know many people do and I wanted to leave a good word or two behind before I disappeared again.

Croconaw
January 29th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Nice post. I'm surprised I read all of it, and I'm glad I did. That was literally amazing! People should have a more positive outlook on life.

Synyster Shadows
January 29th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the positive message Jo. My gf needs to see this...

Tarannosaurus
January 29th, 2014, 06:49 PM
I've seen a lot of your posts and have respected you since I joined VT. Thanks for taking the time to post this, I'm sure a lot of people will find it helpful :)