PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been to a mental/psychiatric hospital?

Pulp501
January 15th, 2014, 02:50 PM
What was it like? How long were you there? I was in one, it wasn't like in movies, although I'm sure there are places like that where the pateints are dangerous. We did a lot of group therapy, on weekends we watched movies all day. It wasn't terrible I was only there for a week. If I had told the truth I would have been there longer.

Etcetera
January 15th, 2014, 03:10 PM
What was it like? How long were you there? I was in one, it wasn't like in movies, although I'm sure there are places like that where the pateints are dangerous. We did a lot of group therapy, on weekends we watched movies all day. It wasn't terrible I was only there for a week. If I had told the truth I would have been there longer.

if people really knew what goes on inside my head I probably would be in one. i've fought it away well.

ElectraHeart
January 18th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I was inpatient twice. It was okay, I felt much better when I was there. My anxiety almost disappeared completely, and the people were very supportive. But it's hard to be away from your home and friends, and being watched all the time.

Rawiyah
January 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM
I have been inpatient three times and it was hell each time.
The first two times was in the children/adolescent ward and we were treated like lab rats. I wasn't taken seriously by any of the staff. The last time I was on the adult ward.
It was really boring all three times. I wasn't allowed to have my phone or any access to the internet except to do homework on the adolescent ward. There was a typical schedule every day with different therapies like music therapy, art therapy, occupational therapy and stuff like that. Then there's the terrible food.

The food is awful and it's awful sharing rooms with another stranger. It wasn't too bad in the adolescent ward, but in the adult unit there was a lot f psychotic patients who would scream in the middle of the night and that was scary sometimes. I was there for three weeks each time.

They usually put you in certain wards depending on your symptoms and your reason for coming to the hospital.

zack.zack
January 21st, 2014, 05:09 PM
I was in one for a week after taking a bunch of pills trying to off myself. It was a pretty pleasant place, nice and clean, and the people who were there were nothing like what we see on television and in the movies. There was a lot of group sessions and one on one.

Katiya
January 23rd, 2014, 02:14 AM
The one where I live is horrible! Terrible terrible place. The staff are demeaning and condescending and abusive towards patents and abuse their power by punishing Barents for crying by forcing them into solitary or force feeding them drugs that make them vomit.

They also parade patents around naked and violate them. One girl I know lost her virginity there to the tools they violated her with.

Its awful and I'd never want to go there. You are trapped and you Can NOT have any visitors or phone calls what so ever or look out a window even. Walls are white washed and stale. No internet or anything you set literally with nothing to do. Not even pen and paper. Very boring. You can have no contact even with parents or family what so ever. They keep patients for 3 weeks minimum and allow for only 5 hrs of sleep per 24 hrs.

I would tell everyone to stay the hell away from that place. I'm glad not all of them are awful like this.

Croconaw
January 26th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I've never been in one before and I'm kind of glad that I never was. It doesn't sound like a fun place to be at, that's for sure.

elmoc
February 9th, 2014, 10:31 AM
I was in a psychiatric hospital for two weeks, following sexual abuse. IMO, the staff was helpful, supportive, & really cared about me & my issues. They have a pretty rigid daily schedule, which sucked, but I can look back now & see that I would have simply laid in bed all day, every day, so they were just trying to get me up to face the day. We had group therapy, individual therapy, &, of course, the doctor started me on some medications. Much of the two weeks was to allow the meds to start working.

I don't ever want to go back, but if I do, it really wasn't bad.

Troye
March 2nd, 2014, 09:29 PM
I have been for a multitude of reasons, and I can say other than it being mildly embarrassing and boring, i don't have any negative experiences

Karkat
March 7th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I've never been to one, but sometimes I feel like I need to. Or, if nothing else, check myself into rehab. But, expenses.

---

One girl I know lost her virginity there to the tools they violated her with.

I'd just like to point out that virginity is A. a social construct, and B. that pretty much everyone can agree that you can't lose your virginity to an object. You can be RAPED with an object, you cannot lose your virginity to one. It's not a person. I mean, I guess if she considers it losing her virginity, that's up to her. However, as a general rule, that's just a huge misconception about virginity to begin with. Which, virginity is kind of a misconception to begin with.

Also, there are reasons tools need to be stuck up there. Whether you're being searched (which, yes, is an invasion of privacy and totally violating, however, if you're hiding something up there, they have to make sure you won't hurt yourself or others...) or getting a checkup (going to a gynecologist is not violating- it's being proactive and healthy. Same with going to an obstetrician.) sometimes it needs to be done.

CosmicNoodle
April 18th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I was an inpatient once at my local hospital, I just lost it one night and started manically laughing and talking about hurting myself and others, I was far gone that night, I don't remember anything untill I got to the emergency room. Everything before that is just a blur and the feeling of confusion and pain.
The hospital was nice, but they did leave me, a suicidal semi maniac in a room for 6 hours with nothing but insanity for company, but the nurses where nice and it was clean. But overall a horrid experianxce that I hope not to, but may repeat.

Anyway, that's my story of insanity and a hospital.

Mojofilter
April 22nd, 2014, 03:03 AM
4 times. First three for a week, the most recent one for a month. God damn i still have nightmares about that place... it wasnt scary.. just.. it felt like they were treating us like toddlers in day care, from my perspective anyways. Was pretty skeevy.

ViolinPro
June 25th, 2014, 10:41 AM
No never been in one :D
Nice to know not all the mental hospitals are some kind of crazy asylums like shown on the TV.
Maybe one day if my dark side emerges, I'd like to stay there, maybe drink some tea and daydream for a week and I'll be good to go xDDDDD

carolinae
June 25th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I've never been in one, but a doctor once told be if I kept with this self-harm issue he'd have to put me in one. I'm glad i learned to hide it well.

lumiadots
June 28th, 2014, 07:42 PM
i've been in confessional rehabilitation before. it was kind of like a branched off building to our local psychiatric hospital for less volatile patients. i started off my first week in the hospital because i was unstable and put on suicide watch, and it was horrible. nothing but one on one therapy, terrible food, and sitting by myself in a white-washed room with no access to the outside world.

once i was put in the rehabilitation center, though, it was better. we were allowed phone calls and internet, there were group therapy sessions, and we were set on a rigorous schedule which kind of sucked, but as was said before, it was in place to get us up and out of bed and doing something. i actually met a couple friends there too, for the next two and a half weeks i was there.

if i had a choice to go back or not i wouldn't, but if i had too i wouldn't complain if i was just put back in confessional rehab. that hospital sucked ass, though.

TheN3rdyOutcast
June 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM
well, I was in one for about 2 weeks total inpatient, and though some people were a little...odd. It wasn't anything like a movie psychiatric ward. However, I was exposed to people from as young as 10 to as old as 17, so the population was pretty diverse.

Melodic
June 30th, 2014, 02:19 AM
I was in the hospital a while ago because of a bipolar meltdown

Ben_Frost
June 30th, 2014, 02:54 PM
My mom took me to one in a trip, it was quite interesting to see actual mental people and not idiots pretending to have a mental illnesses.

bob97
June 30th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I don't know if it counts but I was in a suicide ward for a couple days at a hospital. Lockdown. All locked doors. No shoelaces or any metal at all. Screaming people all the time. Big goons there to restrain you. Not a fun place. But I needed it so I'm grateful I went

LouBerry
June 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM

I've never been actually admitted, but I went to one pretty regularly two years ago to see a friend who was in one for a few months. Like you said, it wasn't like in the movies. It was actually a really pleasant place. All the staff members were very kind and really cared about their patients.

Dennis98
July 4th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Well , I am not crazy person but my parents sent me few times to Psychiatrist because : I dont have remorse and because I am extremely cold-blood person ... When I was child they never saw any of this characteristics but with my growing up they saw few characteristics .... Anyway , they sent my to psychiatrist when I was 14 and I talked with him blah, blah , did some tests and from my acting and results on test he saw my diagnosis : I AM PSYCHOPATH .... I really dont care because of it , I still have friends , although they see that I am only cold blood they dont see that I am psychopath buahahaha xD ... Anyway , I am still person that is considered to have good sense of humor and I am relly acepted ... Beside that , psychiatrist told my parent that I should do IQ test because he thought that I have high IQ ... My parents were crushed that days because of my diagnosis but they sent me to do IQ test ... I didnt belive in results , my IQ was 131 ... So , I am not shamed because of my status , because God gave me and I couldnt choose ... So , I admit that I have really hard days especially when it is autumn and winter ( I dont know why) but I know that during summer or spring I feel great , although I am trying to hide my dark side xD ....

Cognizant
July 5th, 2014, 02:37 AM
I personally haven't, but there's been times where I wish I could just admit myself, get help, and tune out of the world around me....

My sister's been admitted before, and she said she didn't like it, but said the staff was friendly.

Caligari
July 7th, 2014, 06:26 AM
I came close when I had a psychotic breakdown, but my psychiatrist felt that it would be horrible for me due to my extreme anxiety (and he worked part-time at the hospital himself).
So he devised a system vwith my mom, so I could be treated at home with the same meds.
It was a very difficult period for everyone involved, but I recovered in a few months and never again had a psychotic episode.

Armor_King
July 8th, 2014, 11:45 PM
I've been and it kinda sucks, but I was lucky to have nice people there to talk to. I made a few friends but they live far away so yeah.

Gottaloveaginger14
July 9th, 2014, 10:20 AM
I've been commited to one several times. I think it may have help in the short term to help stabalize me, but after I was stabelized I think it would have been more helpful to be at home and doing daily out parient therapy so that I was getting help but I was also around people who loved me and supported me.

nerdyvixxen
July 17th, 2014, 09:26 PM

Honestly i'd rather be there then where i am right now, maybe because i was away from my family. I was there for a couple weeks. Had a room all to myself for a while, then had a room mate. I didn't really like the group therapy though.