PDA

View Full Version : Lacking Empathy

CcRoder
January 10th, 2014, 09:28 PM
Does anyone on this forum, who has either Generalised Anxiety Disorder or Social Anxiety and/or any other of the many anxiety disorders, find that when relating to other people you lack empathy? Meaning, you have a hard time caring about how they feel or what they've done or what they've been through? That sounds self centred, but it's not if it's part of the anxiety disorder if it can't be helped.

Does anyone experience that?

ksdnfkfr
January 10th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Oh yeah. I totally lack empathy which I always attributed it to my autism.
But I did not know it was related to GAD which I also have. Very interesting.

Miserabilia
January 11th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Sometimes I do.
I don't automatically feel it , I kind of make myself feel it.

Tarannosaurus
January 11th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure what I have yet, it's some kind of mixed anxiety and depression order. But yes, it can be very hard to have empathy for other people. I have no empathy whatsoever for my parents at the moment as my counsellor told me they should have been starting to seek help for me almost ten years ago.

AlexOnToast
January 11th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I'm gonna be the sore thumb here and say I'm the opposite, sometimes to bad effect....Like if some person was to put up a post about something thats troubling them, I overthink it and get a sort of "contact" depression. I don't consider it a good thing :(

Katiya
January 12th, 2014, 02:01 AM
It depends for me. I feel for them. But I do not feel for people who are doted on and fawned over. People ask how can I be so heartless as to not bow on my knees for someone the whole community is helping. I tell them that I am just returning the favor of how they treted me when I was in need.
I have been in dire need of help and support and was simply mocked and told I should go die, by adults that know better and call them selves christian. So when they dote on some one I do not support that person as I would a person in the position I was.
I am one person with no support. I can not sacrifice my self to save others. I can only do so much and I must pick my doings wisely if I wish to continue living. So I chose to help those who share my experience of being locked out in the dark and cold. I and my efforts mean far more to that person than the one doted upon by hundreds of people.
I still feel but not so strongly. I do onto others as they do onto me. I'm just a reflection of you.

Harizu
January 12th, 2014, 07:42 AM
I am often told I lack empathy but I don't think it's because of my anxiety issues. As far as I know lacking empathy is not a symptom of anxiety.

CcRoder
January 12th, 2014, 09:51 PM
I'm gonna be the sore thumb here and say I'm the opposite, sometimes to bad effect....Like if some person was to put up a post about something thats troubling them, I overthink it and get a sort of "contact" depression. I don't consider it a good thing :(

Ah, you're not a sore thumb. That makes sense too, especially with someone with GAD. But GAD and Depression can have similar symptoms, but two people with GAD can have polar opposite symptoms, in my experience, though they do have the same symptoms typical of those with generalised anxiety.

KimuraWannabe116
February 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Depends on the situation, though I still struggle with feeling empathy. I have ADHD, PDD, and FAS.