PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm becoming anorexic

DarknessUnicorn
January 5th, 2014, 05:45 AM
So, I was sick about a month ago, I had the flu pretty bad, and I didn't eat a lot when I was sick (for obvious reasons). And that's pretty normal, except ever since then I haven't been as hungry. I've noticed I wont eat breakfast anymore, I'll have barely anything for lunch, then I'll come home after dance and a lot of the time I wont feel hungry. If I eat something unhealthy or eat really late because I am actually hungry, I'll get mad at myself and punish myself with less food. I'm around 5' 5, I'm around 95 pounds, I'm 13, I dance 2 hours a day Mon-Fri and 3 hours on Sat, and I've had problems with my body and low self-esteem for as long as I can remember. Do you guys think I might have anorexia??

AkuRokuStalker
January 5th, 2014, 02:57 PM
In my opinion anorexia is a mental choice you do not just accidantly get it. it is a way of life of living. It how you think day in and day out. You should probably do a bit more research on it before you decide that. I could be wrong though so don't take my word on it.

Hope I helped

unknownuser
January 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM
In my opinion anorexia is a mental choice you do not just accidantly get it. it is a way of life of living. It how you think day in and day out. You should probably do a bit more research on it before you decide that. I could be wrong though so don't take my word on it.

Hope I helped

Anorexia is NOT a choice.

You unknowingly slip into it... that is why most anorexics deny having a problem- they can't see their abnormal eating habits, nor do they see themselves as skinny, even if to a normal person, they look like a walking skeleton.

To Kyra, it is good that you recognize that your acting is abnormal and unhealthy. The hard part is getting back on track and deciding how to correct this behavior. The longer you wait, unfortunately, the harder it gets to break out of the pattern.

DarknessUnicorn
January 5th, 2014, 09:13 PM
To Kyra, it is good that you recognize that your acting is abnormal and unhealthy. The hard part is getting back on track and deciding how to correct this behavior. The longer you wait, unfortunately, the harder it gets to break out of the pattern.

I just don't know how to break out of it >.> It's getting to the point where I'm not feeling hungry anymore, and if I do try to eat more I either get mad at myself, feel really sick, or both. Is there anything else I can try to get out of this?

unknownuser
January 5th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I just don't know how to break out of it >.> It's getting to the point where I'm not feeling hungry anymore, and if I do try to eat more I either get mad at myself, feel really sick, or both. Is there anything else I can try to get out of this?

Yeah, that's the problem. :(
When I was recovering, people online told me not to attempt it myself to seek outside help... but of course, I didn't seek help, I did it myself. It's been almost three years, I've relapsed, I still feel crappy about myself, but I guess I've sort of taught myself to not obsess over the numbers- the calories, the pounds, and instead just focus on eating better and more nutritious foods without feeling guilty and listening to by body, feeding it when it yells for food and trying not to overeat out of boredom.

It takes courage, willpower, and time- there's no magic cure to fix your thoughts about yourself, your body, your weight, your looks, and about food. Small steps is what it takes- nothing happens over night.

I don't know how much you know about eating disorders and how they're treated, but if you go see a doctor and they diagnose you as having an eating disorder, they will likely have you see a therapist or if your case is very severe, they might suggest to have you sent off as an inpatient at a clinic with others with similar problems (where they force you to eat and monitor your exercise and what you do). I don't personally have an opinion on therapists as I've never gone to see one myself- it may or may not be helpful to you, you won't know unless you try. And I personally think that the whole inpatient thing is a little stupid because it seems to ignore the psychological aspect of an eating disorder- they just want to get you to a good weight as soon as possible, but once you're out of the clinic, your chances for relapse are likely going to be higher because your thoughts about yourself and eating will likely not have changed.

I know it's hard to go up to a trusted adult, a friend, or someone who you know cares about you and ask them for help in a situation like this... If you really can't get yourself to do it and want to take a try at it yourself, you're going to have to try to change the way you think about yourself and food. Why do you punish yourself- is it because you think you're fat? because you hate how you look? are you bullied or called names? something else? What do you think your underlying issue is?

DarknessUnicorn
January 6th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Why do you punish yourself- is it because you think you're fat? because you hate how you look? are you bullied or called names? something else? What do you think your underlying issue is?
I actually don't know... A couple years ago I was really chubby and I kinda knew that and I didn't like it, and I was too lazy to do anything about it, but I grew taller and leaned out. Maybe it's that? I don't really know. I don't even like when I punish myself , especially if I am hungry. I can't control it though. It's my brain being an ass :l