PDA

View Full Version : References

HadesLady
November 24th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Do you use a reference in your artwork?

On a scale of 1-10 how often do you use a reference for your artwork?

Do you feel more comfortable with or without one?

Your thoughts on using references?

darkwoon
November 25th, 2013, 09:21 AM
If you mean "photographic ones", then very often, yes.

7 or so.

No difference really, it depends on what I'm trying to achieve.

Photographic references are a very important tool that helps understanding complex poses, lightnings, or folds. Hand-drawn references can also be interesting, but it depends on one uses them: blind copy/trace will not be useful at all, but trying to understand how the artist created his work is a good practice.

Fallen_Eagle
November 25th, 2013, 09:47 AM
Depends on what I'm trying to do. For example, if I want to depict a specific moment from a video game, I use a screenshot of this specific moment as a reference. I also use references for characters that I find difficult to draw accurately. I don't use them for everything though.

With

Makes me feel like a cheap artist, but I do think it's necessary in certain situations.

Moth
November 25th, 2013, 12:01 PM

- Yes.

-I feel you always have to use references and if you don't it will be very difficult for you to show your progression as an artist. It also helps to show some theory in your work.

-I believe you need to use references in your artwork. As a landscape and abstract expressionist painter it is very important for me to use reference in my work to show my progression, thought processes and how I got to my final piece. For example I will take inspiration from an artist, maybe their technique and I will then refer back to how their technique inspired the way I made my final piece.