PDA

View Full Version : Help with anxiety issues, please?

theteenagerobot
November 16th, 2013, 11:56 AM
So I think I've had minor anxiety issues all my life (fearful, made-up fears, etc) but lately it's gotten very bad. I'm seeing a therapist currently for my problems with anxiety and depression, but every since my first appointment with my therapist I've felt even more depressive and anxious. I sometimes get extremely nervous and shaky for no reason and it becomes hard for me to breathe. I also sometimes get random dizzy spells and wake up during the night. I've had more issues talking and I feel like when I do I make a fool of myself. My friend claims to deal with anxiety and depression but never listens to my issues and problems and claims that "I just had a bad day" and then goes on a huge explanation that you decide whether you have bad days and that I'm just being "moody", which in itself makes me question whether or not she even deals with anxiety and depression as she claims
I see my therapist again in two days (this being written on Saturday) but I'm still afraid of talking about things with her. My friend hasn't been letting up on her "help" and it's honestly making me more depressed to the point where I've gotten the urge to hurt myself
Can someone help me out here? Thanks :(

HeyMrsTambourine
November 17th, 2013, 11:09 AM
It hurts so much when your close friends and relatives don't understand your pain... Because you expect them to instinctively know how you suffer.
But step into their shoes, and you'll see that it's not easy to read one's mind :(

I think I know how you feel, that's why I'm here on this forum.
You're not alone, please keep it in mind ! There's a big community all around the world that understands you (personally I hang on to that 'cause around me no one understands my disease).

Maybe you should change your therapist : it's not normal to feel "even more depressive and anxious" after your appointments, and you know it.
You should even change again and again until you find the right one. Because there is a right one (yet you may not see it on the first appointment) : even if a practitioner was trained in neutrality, he/she stays a person with an own character and you may or may not be on the same wavelength.

Stay strong because someday it'll get better (it always does, always).

JamesSuperBoy
November 17th, 2013, 11:26 AM
So I think I've had minor anxiety issues all my life (fearful, made-up fears, etc) but lately it's gotten very bad. I'm seeing a therapist currently for my problems with anxiety and depression, but every since my first appointment with my therapist I've felt even more depressive and anxious. I sometimes get extremely nervous and shaky for no reason and it becomes hard for me to breathe. I also sometimes get random dizzy spells and wake up during the night. I've had more issues talking and I feel like when I do I make a fool of myself. My friend claims to deal with anxiety and depression but never listens to my issues and problems and claims that "I just had a bad day" and then goes on a huge explanation that you decide whether you have bad days and that I'm just being "moody", which in itself makes me question whether or not she even deals with anxiety and depression as she claims
I see my therapist again in two days (this being written on Saturday) but I'm still afraid of talking about things with her. My friend hasn't been letting up on her "help" and it's honestly making me more depressed to the point where I've gotten the urge to hurt myself
Can someone help me out here? Thanks :(

maybe you just have to not talk about how you feel with your friend - it seems obvious whatever "help" they claim to give or try to give does not help at all or makes you worse. So maybe just do that with the therapist and it will take time to open up to them but I am sure therapists know this. I know one girl who writes to her therapist - or makes a note of things and just hands it to her when she goes in - you could ask your therapist about doing this - or maybe just try the once and see how it goes.

Hope this helps in some way and maybe others will have some good help to offer as well.