PDA

View Full Version : orthorexia

Akasuki
November 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
i'm just wondering if there is anyone who is orthorexic on this site.

if you are, what do you (or don't you) eat?

i'm fucking paranoid about everything i eat. i'm vegan and i literally obsess over my diet. it's on my mind 24/7 and i panic about everything i eat. i won't eat anything that is high in sodium. i won't eat any produce that isn't organic. i won't eat anything that touches animal products. i won't eat anything that has anything artificial, i don't eat corn syrup, i avoid preservatives, etc. i basically won't eat anything that, in my opinion, isn't healthy. it's easier some days and harder on others but i have constant cravings for things i won't eat and it sucks. i literally have nightmares about accidentally eating or being force-fed foods i won't eat. i can't even eat out at all without freaking out about whether or not cross-contamination occurred with foods i won't eat, and most places don't serve organic food so i worry about that too. i've lost a lot of weight in the past month. it used to fluctuate between 100-105 but now it's fluctuating between 95-100 and that's borderline underweight for my height. it's just really hard so i'm wondering if other people have the same problems. :/

Tarannosaurus
November 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
I've always been really fussy and paranoid about food. I wouldn't eat food (apart from certain liquefied baby foods in jars) until I was 4/5 and as a result of that for a long time I didn't know how to swallow food. I'm a vegetarian and still paranoid about whether my food may have touched meat, or who or what might have touched my food before I prepared it and I tend to wash food obsessively. If I I accidentally eat something containing animal products other than milk I try to vomit it up. Unfortunately a lot of people noticed my obsession and my friends tease me over it, though I don't think they realise how horrible it is for me when it happens. A month ago a so called "friend" threw a small piece of chicken at me "just messing" and it touched my hair. I had a panic attack and had to go home straight home and repeatedly wash my hair which she thought was hilarious. I used to have nightmares about food but I don't now (though they've been replaced with different nightmares so I don't know if that's a good thing). I lost a lot of weight two years ago where over the space of about 3 months I dropped 12kg. I've managed to regain 6kg and my weight is stable now. I'd like to give some advice but I really don't think I can because I haven't managed to sort myself out. So I'll just say try to take care of yourself and try to be healthy :)