PDA

View Full Version : Is homosexuality the modern lifestyle?

NeuroTiger
October 20th, 2013, 07:02 AM
With the growing number of US states and countries around the world favouring the LGBT rights and the group welcoming new members everyday, it's a fact that the LGBT group is gaining in power from what it was a decade back.

Hence, what are your views to the statement:
'Homosexuality is the modern lifestyle.'

ksdnfkfr
October 20th, 2013, 07:21 AM
I would like to think of it more as being incorporated rather than taking control. I would like to see a day when being gay or black etc in the US goes unnoticed. Perhaps it is more a matter of oppressive ultra conservative straight whites who are losing power, so to speak, and things becoming more equalized.

So how about:
"Equality is the modern lifestyle".

Twilly F. Sniper
October 20th, 2013, 07:34 AM
It is not a lifestyle nor just a recent trend.
There have been quite influential figures that had homosexual tendencies.

One great example is Tennessee Williams, whom was a Pullitzer Prize winning poet. He met a man named Frank Merlo and they had a one night stand. This then became a somewhat loving relationship, this shows when Williams made a downward spiral, turning him into an alcoholic. But a few weeks later, Merlo returned to him and helped him recover and win 2 Pullitzer Prizes.

And as for it being a lifestyle it isn't. A lifestyle is a choice. Sexuality isn't. I really shouldn't need to back myself up there.

In conclusion, homosexuality isn't just modern, nor is it a lifestyle, so both sections of the statement are false.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151239/Historys-hidden-gay-couples-outlaw-marriages-helped-Americas-greatest-minds-reach-new-heights.html
^Source for Paragraph 1.
This source also has other stories, quite similar if you really aren't convinced...

candorgen
October 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
It is not a lifestyle nor just a recent trend.
There have been quite influential figures that had homosexual tendencies.

One great example is Tennessee Williams, whom was a Pullitzer Prize winning poet. He met a man named Frank Merlo and they had a one night stand. This then became a somewhat loving relationship, this shows when Williams made a downward spiral, turning him into an alcoholic. But a few weeks later, Merlo returned to him and helped him recover and win 2 Pullitzer Prizes.

And as for it being a lifestyle it isn't. A lifestyle is a choice. Sexuality isn't. I really shouldn't need to back myself up there.

In conclusion, homosexuality isn't just modern, nor is it a lifestyle, so both sections of the statement are false.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151239/Historys-hidden-gay-couples-outlaw-marriages-helped-Americas-greatest-minds-reach-new-heights.html
^Source for Paragraph 1.
This source also has other stories, quite similar if you really aren't convinced...

I totally agree.
A lifestyle is a style you approach life with. You have a choice in what style you approach something with. Sexuality is an aspect of yourself which you cannot decide to have or not have. It is not a choice. Therefore homosexuality is NOT the modern lifestyle.
And just because it's much more documented now than ever, doesn't mean that it is modern. Non-straight sexuality has existed since the start of history.

[Excuse my technical lingo, I tend to sound critical in debates and can't really help it. I'd prefer if I didn't, but I get the message across more easily with it.]

Cygnus
October 20th, 2013, 12:41 PM
So how about:

I find this very plausible.

Jess
October 20th, 2013, 12:43 PM
It's not a lifestyle..so I don't agree with that statement..

Soulless
October 20th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Homosexuality is the modern lifestyle...

What a load of BULLSHIT.

Just now society in the West is more accepting, more feel at liberty to come out.

And it's not a choice either, and even if you're gay it doesn't mean you're a Camp as Christmas liberal, I, for example, am the ANTITHESIS of that argument.

CosmicNoodle
October 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
Homosexuality is not the modern lifestyle, it has just been incorporated into modern life. That's a good thing in my opinion.

darthearth
October 22nd, 2013, 08:17 PM
I would like to think of it more as being incorporated rather than taking control. I would like to see a day when being gay or black etc in the US goes unnoticed. Perhaps it is more a matter of oppressive ultra conservative straight whites who are losing power, so to speak, and things becoming more equalized.

So how about:

I like this.