PDA

View Full Version : How Free Should Information Be?

WaffleSingSong
October 7th, 2013, 10:43 PM
Hiyas. Long time, no see, VT. ^_^

With the new movie about Julian Assange and WikiLeaks coming out on theaters, as well as other important events in the news, I think something that a lot of people around the world should be thinking about the freedom of information. But not just about governments, but just anything in general. Should websites like BestGore and theYNC post there content of extreme gore and violence? Should magazines like The National Enquirer post plausibly fake news about celebrities as a form of entertainment, even when people might be mislead? Should groups like radical Moslems, neo-Nazis or extreme left-winged groups be able to form and be able to exist in society, preaching there message to everyone?

Personally, I say let them. People should know when something is unrealistic, hardly possible or insane, And we should not punish a minority that might actually agree or enjoy, or just be interested in such material, with the tyranny of the majority. That's the reason why 99% of modern democracies are Republics, not Direct Democracies, to protect the minority. Also, It contradicts a free society, which most humans prefer. Some people might argue that this might destroy a free society, but that's what's beautiful about liberty, its a class-act ideology, willing to destroy itself, in order to stay true to itself.

What do you guys think?

conniption
October 7th, 2013, 10:48 PM
I don't really see a reason to not allow extremists, gossip magazines, and shock websites to post whatever content they want. It's up to each individual to decide if they want to read/watch that kind of stuff and how much of it they're going to take in as factual information.