PDA

View Full Version : what causes a man to like men?

britishboy
September 19th, 2013, 09:37 AM
what causes people to be gay?

I believe in the recent study that found gay mens minds to be more like a womens and a gay womens mind to be more like a mans

this would also explain straight men and lesbians to be masculine and women and lesbians to be feminine

Harley Quinn
September 19th, 2013, 09:41 AM
I'm a lesbian, so I'm automatically 'masculine'?

Nothing causes it. You are born it.

britishboy
September 19th, 2013, 09:44 AM

there are exceptions but from what I see yeah, and what makes you like the 'wrong' gender?

Harley Quinn
September 19th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I don't believe I am liking the wrong gender. I just can't like the opposite, I have no feelings for them whatsoever and I don't want to force myself to like the gender that I just can't. It's like if someone forced you to like guys, you wouldn't like it. It's the same with me. I like girls, always have done even after trying to force myself to like guys and be straight. It's just something you can't change.

PinkFloyd
September 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM
I believe that it's the way you're born.

Vlerchan
September 19th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I similarily call bullshit. It seems like a conclusion born more of tired stereotyping than actual scientific analysis.

Sugaree
September 19th, 2013, 10:03 AM

I believe in the recent study that found gay mens minds to be more like a womens and a gay womens mind to be more like a mans

this would also explain straight men and lesbians to be masculine and women and lesbians to be feminine

Bullshit readings are going off the charts. Either link to your sources or don't make claims that you can't back up.

TheBigUnit
September 19th, 2013, 10:24 AM

apparently you were born with more testosterone than straight women, nothing wrong with that

I believe homosexuality is upbringing and horemones

Steven1
September 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Nothing causes it, and there's no scientific backing that makes you more like the opposite sex if you're gay or lesbian. Scientists researching this topic have used evidence and have said its likely to be genetic, so you're born how you're born.

Saint of Sinners
September 19th, 2013, 10:37 AM
I don't think a gay person's mind is different from others of his/her gender. They just happen to like the same gender. That's it, no other bullshit. Why would they be different?

britishboy
September 19th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Bullshit readings are going off the charts. Either link to your sources or don't make claims that you can't back up.

www.shaktitechnology.com/gaybrain.htm

there are others reporting a similar thing but this one is most detailed for people like you, not too complicated but explains itself

I don't think a gay person's mind is different from others of his/her gender. They just happen to like the same gender. That's it, no other bullshit. Why would they be different?

one is attracted to the opposite sex the other it's own, thats a massive difference when givern thought

Harley Quinn
September 19th, 2013, 10:48 AM
www.shaktitechnology.com/gaybrain.htm

there are others reporting a similar thing but this one is most detailed for people like you, not too complicated but explains itself

one is attracted to the opposite sex the other it's own, thats a massive difference when givern thought

>from 1999
>society has changed
>not a valid form of evidence

Good try though.

britishboy
September 19th, 2013, 10:54 AM
>from 1999
>society has changed
>not a valid form of evidence

Good try though.

people haven't:P but my mistake
www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/articles/results/handedness.shtml

I'm not against LGBT, just interested in the many theories, their are stories of those turning gay in prison, but that's countered with they was hiding it from themselves, it is a interesting debate

Stronk Serb
September 19th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I think it's influenced by genetics, but the environment influences it also. Maybe you never realized you were gay until you found yourself in a place dominated by the same sex?

Gigablue
September 19th, 2013, 04:01 PM

There is a kernel of truth in this, but you drastically overstate the facts. There are statistical differences between the brains of homosexuals and heterosexuals. However, these are small and localized to very specific areas. Some, but not very many, of these differences resemble the brain of the opposite sex. That being said, these differences in neuroanatomy are not predictive, meaning that you cannot someone's sexual orientation by looking at a brain scan.

Your second paragraph is more absurd. There is no need to explain why lesbians are more masculine than heterosexual women because it isn't a real phenomenon. There is a common stereotype that this is true, but it simply isn't. Some women have more masculine features, but this doesn't correlate with sexual orientation.

The answer to your original question is complicated. All our best evidence shows that sexual orientation is determined in utero, and that nothing can be done to change it after birth. We have found several genetic variations that correlate with homosexuality, suggesting that it results from a complex interaction of many genes. Prenatal testosterone levels also play a role. This explains why men with more older brothers are more likely to be gay. Each male pregnancy affects the hormone levels for all subsequent pregnancies.

In short, sexuality is very complicated, resulting from many different genetic and hormonal factors.

Abyssal Echo
September 19th, 2013, 04:11 PM
I believe you are born that way.

candorgen
September 19th, 2013, 04:56 PM
I think and believe it to be nature over nurture. It's not a choice, I think some DNA/hormone stuff might be involved, either while you're living, or passed down from the previous generation.
And the idea that gay males are like females and vice-versa sounds like a stereotype. It my have some standing, but it shouldn't be assumed that LGBTers are all like that.

Twilly F. Sniper
September 19th, 2013, 05:23 PM
I believe it is somewhat genetic, but mostly environmental, and psychosexual development.

Croconaw
September 19th, 2013, 05:34 PM
You're born that way. :)

Twilly F. Sniper
September 19th, 2013, 06:00 PM
You're born that way. :)

I used to think that. But the main concept of that I believe is correct. It is definitely not by choice, nor do we want to.

Walter Powers
September 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I think it's probably a combination of nature and nurture.

Luminous
September 19th, 2013, 07:54 PM
this would also explain straight men and lesbians to be masculine

Seriously? I'm more feminine that most of the straight girls I know. I can't be seen without makeup, my favorite color is pink, I love jewelry and dresses and high heels and hearts and princesses and sparkles and boas and dress up and ball gowns and singing and hair and.. honestly I could go on forever. That's just a stereotype. I also know straight girls that are tomboyish and don't give a damn about how they look or pink or anything else girly.

Honestly, being gay is something you're born with. I remember being little and looking through magazines with other girls. They pointed out the male models and I stared at the Victoria's Secret models. TBH if I could choose I would be straight. In this day and age I know when I come out I'm going to be a victim of ridicule, verbal abuse, and other types of bullying. Do you seriously think I would choose this because I want pity and attention? It's bad but I can seriously see myself saying yes if a boy were to ask me out. I don't know why, just to try it or even to bring suspicion away if someone were to know I am gay.

TheBigUnit
September 19th, 2013, 07:56 PM

agreed

Cygnus
September 19th, 2013, 08:13 PM

This is like the first time I actually agree with you in something.

teen.jpg
September 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM
The "expectation" shouldn't be feminine gay men and masculine lesbians. You probably just think that because of movies and television.

there are exceptions but from what I see yeah, and what makes you like the 'wrong' gender?

Wait WHAT?! Why is liking the opposite gender "right" and anything else "wrong"?

And overall why do any of these "theories" even matter. Some people like what you don't, it's not too hard to understand.

Lovelife090994
September 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I feel like it can be a combination of developmental factors mixed in with social factors. For me I haven't a clue but maybe my curiosity is from me having a hard time with girls and from being bullied so much that maybe I just felt it easier to be curious? I'm not sure. Sexuality is quite varied.

teen.jpg
September 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry to be kind of off-topic here, but why does this question always come up? Like honestly, some people like the same sex, some people like the opposite sex, some both. It's literally that simple, and if some people weren't so close-minded over nothing then it would stay that simple.

lightPainting
September 19th, 2013, 08:46 PM
this should help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq5nmUTx6eI

Sugaree
September 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Sorry to be kind of off-topic here, but why does this question always come up? Like honestly, some people like the same sex, some people like the opposite sex, some both. It's literally that simple, and if some people weren't so close-minded over nothing then it would stay that simple.

This is britishboy we're talking about. We have to explain things in black and white or else it's too confusing for him.

ksdnfkfr
September 19th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I believe it is somewhat genetic, but mostly environmental, and psychosexual development.

The problem with that is cases with siblings, especially twins, where one is gay and the other straight. That kinda rules out genetics, environment and development. And what I don't see this thread taking into consideration is, the vast number of people who are bisexual. People always seem to forget that it's not a 50/50 division between gay and st8. I think the answer is somewhere along the lines of why some people prefer Coke over Pepsi. They just do.

teen.jpg
September 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM
This is britishboy we're talking about. We have to explain things in black and white or else it's too confusing for him.

Well ... yeah ... but jesus christ it's not hard to understand.

Nomad_X
September 19th, 2013, 09:10 PM

Gender is a social construct.

Lovelife090994
September 19th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Well ... yeah ... but jesus christ it's not hard to understand.

For some it is hard to understand because they have to rewrite their previous ways of thinking, easier said than done, correct?

teen.jpg
September 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM
For some it is hard to understand because they have to rewrite their previous ways of thinking, easier said than done, correct?

No, it's literally the easiest thing. It's like realizing that not everyone is the same height, the same weight, has the same hair color, eye color, etc. Yet we don't have the same issues for those things.

Lovelife090994
September 19th, 2013, 09:51 PM
No, it's literally the easiest thing. It's like realizing that not everyone is the same height, the same weight, has the same hair color, eye color, etc. Yet we don't have the same issues for those things.

Actually some do have issues with those but those are only skin deep.
Beliefs such as homosexuality is bad, all gays go to hell is actually a way of thinking some have and they themselves have to choose between changing it or keeping it and admitting they are wrong which can be hard to do or not.
Point is, it isn't as easy as one may think. Get it, doesn't that make sense?

teen.jpg
September 19th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Beliefs such as homosexuality is bad, all gays go to hell is actually a way of thinking some have and they themselves have to choose between changing it or keeping it and admitting they are wrong which can be hard to do or not.

Actually, it doesn't make sense. It's pretty ridiculous and unreasonable. I'm more then sure I've said why it is already, but I'm pretty sure that if someone isn't hurting you/someone else/themself with their actions, you should have nothing against it.

Lovelife090994
September 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Actually, it doesn't make sense. It's pretty ridiculous and unreasonable. I'm more then sure I've said why it is already, but I'm pretty sure that if someone isn't hurting you/someone else/themself with their actions, you should have nothing against it.

Agreed.

ksdnfkfr
September 19th, 2013, 10:09 PM

People pretend to be all kinds of things they are not when coerced.

And the idea with religion is that anyone gay or not, who does not belong to a particular religion, is bad and going to hell and people have to admit to being wrong in not believing in that particular religion and conform to it.

Lovelife090994
September 19th, 2013, 10:42 PM
People pretend to be all kinds of things they are not when coerced.

And the idea with religion is that anyone gay or not, who does not belong to a particular religion, is bad and going to hell and people have to admit to being wrong in not believing in that particular religion and conform to it.

Slightly true.

Sugaree
September 19th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Gender is a social construct.

Only Tumblr feminists and social justice wannabes say this. While, yes, gender is definitely a LOOSE term in itself, it is not a social construct. RACE is a social construct.

Lovelife090994
September 20th, 2013, 02:53 AM
Only Tumblr feminists and social justice wannabes say this. While, yes, gender is definitely a LOOSE term in itself, it is not a social construct. RACE is a social construct.

How so, if even though we are all human, ethnicities do vary?

Saint of Sinners
September 20th, 2013, 04:44 AM
How so, if even though we are all human, ethnicities do vary?

Its just mere asthetics. We are all alike once you look past the color.

Nomad_X
September 20th, 2013, 04:47 AM

If the SEX of someone determines if they are sex male or sex female, then what is Gender for?

Twilly F. Sniper
September 20th, 2013, 05:31 AM
The problem with that is cases with siblings, especially twins, where one is gay and the other straight. That kinda rules out genetics, environment and development. And what I don't see this thread taking into consideration is, the vast number of people who are bisexual. People always seem to forget that it's not a 50/50 division between gay and st8. I think the answer is somewhere along the lines of why some people prefer Coke over Pepsi. They just do.

The rest of your race is not going to be satisfied with they just do.
Plus, im implying the take on the environment, and the genetics part is just an error in the sex chromosome (that could raise the question of how the existence of more complex sexualities is possible...)
If it were just a preference, then how is it that most homosexuals and bisexuals really don't want to be their sexuality?

@Dakota really? That just shows how belief influences the truth for some people, not being racist but traits definitely vary between races.

ksdnfkfr
September 20th, 2013, 08:19 AM
The rest of your race is not going to be satisfied with they just do.
Plus, im implying the take on the environment, and the genetics part is just an error in the sex chromosome (that could raise the question of how the existence of more complex sexualities is possible...)
If it were just a preference, then how is it that most homosexuals and bisexuals really don't want to be their sexuality?

What is supposed to be my race? And I think in time people will come to accept things for what they are. As to the sex chromosome, why an error rather than a just difference? As to preference, I hope I didn't come off as sounding like I was saying "it's a choice". Also I think if they don't want to be their sexuality, it would be for the same reason other minorities have wished they were of the majority.

Sugaree
September 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
If the SEX of someone determines if they are sex male or sex female, then what is Gender for?

Gender is just synonymous for sex if you think about it for a minute. It's a simple way of distinguishing one from the other.

Melodic
September 20th, 2013, 10:35 PM
You know how some people like people with blonde hair or some people like people who are brunette? Or someone likes someone with common interests or someone likes someone total opposite. Or someone likes someone with abs or skinny or someone likes someone who is more thick? It's pretty much the same with relationships (gay or straight). We like what we like, it's just that simple. We shouldn't judge other people because of their preferences of who/what they want in a relationship. Love is Love people.

And I find the stereotype that because you're gay you are feminine and if you're a lesbian you have to be masculine very stupid. Just because they have a interest in the same sex doesn't make them any different than a person you see on the middle of the street. Most people nowadays you wouldn't even tell they were gay if you saw them on the street alone unless they have a billboard on top of their head saying I'm gay.

henry5331
September 22nd, 2013, 08:39 PM

I'm gay and I am not feminine at all. If I think like a woman I'd be really surprised.

Lovelife090994
September 22nd, 2013, 10:31 PM
I'm gay and I am not feminine at all. If I think like a woman I'd be really surprised.

LOL, I know right? Well, Im really bi, but still.

Derryck
September 28th, 2013, 09:26 AM
alot of straight men have a distinctive feminine side. I know I do, even though I barely ever listen to it bc of its constant bitching at me. :D Anyway, what Im saying is that you don't need to be homosexual to think like the opposite sex. :)