PDA

View Full Version : Would Nudism Work?

PinkFloyd
August 14th, 2013, 05:29 PM
This is NOT a political argument by any means. If that's what you're looking for, please turn back now.

I seriously doubt that nudism would work out survival wise. I mean the human body needs protection from the elements wether it's snow, hail, wind, whatever. Our bodies are vulnerable.

I am not saying that nudism is wrong at all. I'm just getting sick of people saying that everyone should be naked 24/7, and that clothes are un natural. It wasn't any of you. it was a few of my friends and my girlfriend and my family. Will someone please share their point of view on this subject. I must be missing something.

Jess
August 14th, 2013, 05:31 PM
No, it won't help us survive. I agree, there's nothing wrong with it, but clothes are NOT unnatural and if you went without them 24/7 you won't survive, especially with harsh weather.

Rina
August 14th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I agree. I think they definitely help a lot especially in the winter and in harsh conditions, like how in the desert they wear more clothes to keep their skin from being sunburnt. It's light clothing, but it helps. Nudism all the time wouldn't work imo.

tovaris
August 14th, 2013, 05:39 PM
It depends on the enviorment... Certan natural tribes realy rekuire ni clothes living in tropical or subtropical evioment. While we need to clothe ourselves to proteckt us from the cold. It is ended matural for us humans both to and not to wear clothes, luckuly we have evolved to the point when we can make it happen rather than reliing on our furr.

Cygnus
August 14th, 2013, 05:47 PM
I mean sure, if people desire to be naked all the time they could, but they would feel worse in both warm and cold climates and the body would be more exposed to cuts. Maybe in a place suited for nudists it would work, but that place is not everywhere.

Mushin
August 14th, 2013, 06:08 PM
I don't think nudism would work in a fight against the elements, but you also have to think about the modernization of our society. We're becoming a society of people who's daily activities no longer require you to be outside (depending on your career). You wake up in a house, take some form of transportation to your destination, and spend the rest of your day at that destination, then repeat the process to return home. Most of which - if not all - have a regulated temperature. Primitive societies didn't have these accommodations, most of their days involved outdoor labor of some sort. So although the human body isn't capable of braving the elements without clothing, we are now capable of eliminating the elements all together with the glory of indoors. :rolleyes:

TheBigUnit
August 14th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Clothes are probably the reason why we have less hair than our ancestors

Sir Suomi
August 14th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Rina just summed it up. Yes, we need them. We're more prone to infections, cuts, sunburns, hypothermia, etc. Basically, bad shit would happen if we didn't have clothes.

Vocabulous
August 15th, 2013, 12:08 AM
as a Minnesotan, no.

Stronk Serb
August 15th, 2013, 02:38 AM
No. Some tribes in Africa and South America and on the Pacific Islands use gowns to cover their private areas, but only that. Those environments and the adaptation of their bodies to those conditions allow them to wear little to no clothing. But the same cannot be applied to all places. Eskimos would die in a matter of minutes if they were naked. The Berbers of the Sahara Desert would have serious sunburns. Those are the more extreme cases. We need clothing.

Steven1
August 15th, 2013, 03:42 AM
I think clothes are needed. Its our body's natural instinct to protect ourselves from the elements, by way of shelter and clothes. If they're un-natural, then why did we start wearing them in the first place? The Neanderthal man wasn't a very strong thinker to anything but hunting, so why would they were clothes? Instinct, of course.

tovaris
August 15th, 2013, 06:51 AM
I think clothes are needed. Its our body's natural instinct to protect ourselves from the elements, by way of shelter and clothes. If they're un-natural, then why did we start wearing them in the first place? The Neanderthal man wasn't a very strong thinker to anything but hunting, so why would they were clothes? Instinct, of course.

It wasnt instinkt but need, and the neandertal was quite inteligent: we wear clothes when and becuse we need to not because of an instinkt.

whatsgoinon53
August 15th, 2013, 08:05 AM
This is NOT a political argument by any means. If that's what you're looking for, please turn back now.

I seriously doubt that nudism would work out survival wise. I mean the human body needs protection from the elements wether it's snow, hail, wind, whatever. Our bodies are vulnerable.

I am not saying that nudism is wrong at all. I'm just getting sick of people saying that everyone should be naked 24/7, and that clothes are un natural. It wasn't any of you. it was a few of my friends and my girlfriend and my family. Will someone please share their point of view on this subject. I must be missing something.

I completely agree with you. There's nothing wrong with being naked around the house during times and climate's that are acceptable and reasonable, but when in public you should never be naked. You are also right about the weather. We can't survive in the cold without clothes. Whoever's telling you to be naked 24/7 should try doing it themselves and freeze almost to death before they can tell you what to do.
I like the fact that you didn't make it political too.

Nellerin
August 20th, 2013, 02:11 PM

No, nudism would not work in terms of providing us with protection and is not something that would be applicable year-round and everywhere in public.

HOWEVER we should make steps as a society to prevent things like a woman's breasts or even the penis/vagina from being automatically sexualized. If a woman wants to walk around in the summer without a shirt on, that should be OK.

Too many things in American society are sexualized.

Gigablue
August 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
No. It wouldn't work, at least not in most parts of the world. In the winter, it can get down to -40 degrees here, -50 with windchill. At that temperature, exposed skin freezes in five minutes or less. To go outside naked would be beyond stupid.

That being said, in the summer I think it would work just fine. If people want to be naked when the weather is nice, I don't see an issue.

Tarannosaurus
August 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM
It would work sometimes, but practicality comes first. Sometimes it would just be more practical to wear clothes.

tovaris
August 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
It would work sometimes, but practicality comes first. Sometimes it would just be more practical to wear clothes.

It realy dependes on the outside temperature and the oweral climate. (not to mention thet the curent coltural background does not alowe for this flexebility).

justin 13
August 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
I dont really like being a nudist

PinkFloyd
August 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
It realy dependes on the outside temperature and the oweral climate. (not to mention thet the curent coltural background does not alowe for this flexebility).

Yeah. I guess if you lived in somewhere such as Southern Italy, it would work, but Norway or Sweden... no.

Tarannosaurus
August 21st, 2013, 07:44 PM
You know southern Sweden actually gets quite warm in summer believe it or not :P

britishboy
August 22nd, 2013, 02:38 AM
it would never work fully, cooking, nuclear technicians, soilders etc need clothes

laurakoller0815
August 22nd, 2013, 03:36 AM
i think nudism works where is mandatory or appriciated. well i imagin i come to my best friends naked. they gonna get shocked......

Josh from SoCal
August 25th, 2013, 05:56 AM
I dont really like being a nudist

hahaha that's cuz you live in FL where the sun would fry you. That's where I live also. Actually, sunscreen makes it nudism work pretty well.

As for the whole 24/7 thing, I'm not sure that the issue is whether or not humans could survive in any environment if they were naked. Clearly not. But maybe this question is more designed to consider it from a social aspect. Are our daily lives such that we would need to wear clothes? While I'm totally for nudism, I think it's impractical to be nude all the time. think about how many things we carry on our clothing or in our pockets. Not trying to be funny but where would you put your money, cell phone, etc?

Since none of us lives anywhere where we are surrounded by naked people all the time and since we are all pretty hyper-sexual cuz of our hormones, we immediately jump to that aspect of nudism. But think about how many times you paid any real attention to a tree, for example. If you'd never seen one, then you'd be captivated by it. But once you're used to them, they are just more trees. I think people would become very desensitized to the naked body if it was no longer uncommon.

Imo, I think naked people are awesome. It strips away our social class and equalizes us in a whole new way.

Oh, Im rambling here..... sorry.