PDA

View Full Version : Should the UK leave the EU?

Walter Powers
August 8th, 2013, 05:55 PM
What's your opinion: should Britain leave the European Union?

I think UK would benefit and save themselves from economic harm if they got out of it.

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 05:58 PM
yes! keep free trade but 51 mill a day on top of everything eles is just too much and niw Romanian and Bulgarian people can come here and the second they land be entitled to our welfare

Plane And Simple
August 8th, 2013, 06:05 PM
yes! keep free trade but 51 mill a day on top of everything eles is just too much and niw Romanian and Bulgarian people can come here and the second they land be entitled to our welfare

Let me make sure I got that right. You are saying that the UK should leave but keep the benefits of being a member? That's bad...

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Let me make sure I got that right. You are saying that the UK should leave but keep the benefits of being a member? That's bad...

Thank you my good friend from spain, it would take ages for us to get a free trade treaty with every country- we can't leave the club but still ask to keep the company car.

We need the EU to survive.

Three simple facts with show that

- We export more to Belgium than we do to China
- More Brits live in the EU than EU residents live in Britain, this means that if we live our net population would increase
- Eu immigrants are 70% less likely to claim benefits than brits

Walter Powers
August 8th, 2013, 06:23 PM

All he's saying it should be simply an alliance to encourage trade, like NAFTA here in North America. It works quite well; us, Mexico, and Canada are all much more prosperous because of it. Free trade benefits everyone.

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 06:24 PM

America is not a member and theyre getting free trade... Britain and Britain alone should decide what we do

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 06:25 PM
All he's saying it should be simply an alliance to encourage trade, like NAFTA here in North America. It works quite well; us, Mexico, and Canada are all much more prosperous because of it. Free trade benefits everyone.

It's not that simple in Europe though, why would they want to sign a free trade deal after we've jumped ship, we need the EU as much as the EU needs us. I really can't see many EU countries being keen on an agreement where we get more for less

America is not a member and theyre getting free trade... Britain and Britain alone should decide what we do

That's very different, firstly it hasn't been signed. Secondly America hasn't had the EU link that we have, it's not up to us to simply jump at the first sign of danger.

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 06:28 PM
It's not that simple in Europe though, why would they want to sign a free trade deal after we've jumped ship, we need the EU as much as the EU needs us. I really can't see many EU countries being keen on an agreement where we get more for less

no they will want the free trade deal, it benefits them all especially Germany and wine producing nations will want it

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 06:31 PM
no they will want the free trade deal, it benefits them all especially Germany and wine producing nations will want it

Do you have any evidence for that or is this another one of your impromptu announcements?

Why in hell would they want something that is so greatly unfair for them, the free trade deal would not only take a very long time to be written and passed, this means a long period of time for British Business.

As I said before, it's like leaving a company and asking to keep the car

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Do you have any evidence for that or is this another one of your impromptu announcements?

Why in hell would they want something that is so greatly unfair for them, the free trade deal would not only take a very long time to be written and passed, this means a long period of time for British Business.

the German motor industry, Polands wind turbines, French wines and no, we leave and take back our power but keep the free trade the same, simple, it will take a while to leave anyway so it can be sorted then

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 06:52 PM
the German motor industry, Polands wind turbines, French wines and no, we leave and take back our power but keep the free trade the same, simple, it will take a while to leave anyway so it can be sorted then

So you've named 3 companies as proof that the EU will sign a free trade deal!

Take back our power, you make it sound like Brussels rule over us.

What are you going to do when farmers don't have anyone to do seasonal work?

What about when you have millions of pensioners coming back from countries like Spain and Italty?

There's not a single benefit to leaving the EU, we use the EU as much as the EU uses us

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
So you've named 3 companies as proof that the EU will sign a free trade deal!

Take back our power, you make it sound like Brussels rule over us.

What are you going to do when farmers don't have anyone to do seasonal work?

What about when you have millions of pensioners coming back from countries like Spain and Italty?

There's not a single benefit to leaving the EU, we use the EU as much as the EU uses us

well generally when a country signs a trade deal its for companies to trade, and we buy more of their stuff than they buy of ours so it will benefit them more

actually they do rule over us, remind me, why did it take 10 years to deport a terrorist?

the same things I will do when I go abroad, get a visa!

do you know that the UK can not represent itself on international trade deals, instead a man goes who represents the whole EU?

Walter Powers
August 8th, 2013, 07:01 PM

That's very different, firstly it hasn't been signed. Secondly America hasn't had the EU link that we have, it's not up to us to simply jump at the first sign of danger.

Like I said, free trade benefits everyone. Without it, you'd lose and they'd lose. They have no real reason not to accept a free trade deal. Your acting like it doesn't have any benefit to the other European countries.

Again, how is a free trade deal unfair? Please explain.
Also, have you ever thought about drafting the deal before leaving the EU, like you would do with any other reform, know the new system before ending the old system? That'd work.

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 07:03 PM
well generally when a country signs a trade deal its for companies to trade, and we buy more of their stuff than they buy of ours so it will benefit them more

actually they do rule over us, remind me, why did it take 10 years to deport a terrorist?

the same things I will do when I go abroad, get a visa!

do you know that the UK can not represent itself on international trade deals, instead a man goes who represents the whole EU?

Yes, but saying three companies has nothing to do with whether the power groups would sign with us after we've basically fucked them over. You can't leave on the assumption that we have a free trade deal when we don't.

It's funny you mention that, when Gary Mckinnon was going to be extradited to the US our home secretary used the exact EU ruling to keep him in Britain. It's double standards, you can't say you hate it and then use it to benefit us. The Human rights acts gives everyone the same rights, it doesn't matter what God your pray to.

A holiday visa, not a working Visa. A working Visa is a lot harder to get meaning you would have a large number of people returning to Britain because they no longer have free access.

Yes, that's how a common market works, this method has greatly benefited us- just look at the US deal.

The deal would be very sour with the rest of Europe because when we're in the EU we help other countries out in times of need through different policies and they in turn help us. The problem is that we can't pick and choose.

Also with a free trade deal we would end up like Norway or Switzerland, both have to abide by EU rules without any influence over how they are formed.

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 07:10 PM
It's funny you mention that, when Gary Mckinnon was going to be extradited to the US our home secretary used the exact EU ruling to keep him in Britain. It's double standards, you can't say you hate it and then use it to benefit us. The Human rights acts gives everyone the same rights, it doesn't matter what God your pray to.

its interesting you bring that up, why cant a british court decide? why should foreigners
decide what happens in Britain?

and can you give me the definition of a company and a industry? thanks. and as I said, we buy more than we sell

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 07:16 PM
its interesting you bring that up, why cant a british court decide? why should foreigners
decide what happens in Britain?

and can you give me the definition of a company and a industry? thanks. and as I said, we buy more than we sell

Because we've signed an act that ensures that every person in Britain has the same rights, without this Gary Mckinnon would be in America on death row. We signed the human rights act of 1998, you can't just break a treaty. In the eyes of British Law it doesn't matter what country your from, it only matters what the law says. Justice doesn't have a colour

Of course we import more into the EU- it has over 25 countries in it!

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Because we've signed an act that ensures that every person in Britain has the same rights, without this Gary Mckinnon would be in America on death row. We signed the human rights act of 1998, you can't just break a treaty. In the eyes of British Law it doesn't matter what country your from, it only matters what the law says. Justice doesn't have a colour

Of course we import more into the EU- it has over 25 countries in it!

and we cant have our own courts? make our own laws?

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM
and we cant have our own courts? make our own laws?

We do make our own laws, we do have are own courts. We always have and we always will

You don't seem to understand the difference between a treaty and a law.

We signed the European convention on Human rights, and then the British government under Tony Blair passed the 1998 human rights act which made this into a law. These were both done by the British Government.

If we break the treaty then you have a legal right to challenge the government, that's in place to protect abuse- we can't just break a treaty

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM
We do make our own laws, we do have are own courts. We always have and we always will

We signed the European convention on Human rights, and then the British government under Tony Blair passed the 1998 human rights act which made this into a law. These were both done by the British Government.

If we break the treaty then you have a legal right to challenge the government, that's in place to protect abuse- we can't just break a treaty

then why have we been told to give prisoners votes? and why cant the British decide what the British do? dont you think it makes more sence?

Walter Powers
August 8th, 2013, 07:46 PM

Could you please reply to my post? Or am I just a bloody Yank who doesn't know anything, and so you aren't bothering to?

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Like I said, free trade benefits everyone. Without it, you'd lose and they'd lose. They have no real reason not to accept a free trade deal. Your acting like it doesn't have any benefit to the other European countries.

Again, how is a free trade deal unfair? Please explain.
Also, have you ever thought about drafting the deal before leaving the EU, like you would do with any other reform, know the new system before ending the old system? That'd work.

The problem is the only two other EU countries to sign a free trade deal of such have been Norway and Switzerland, neither of them have done well out of it because they still had to abide by EU regulation within their industry and other standards, if we leave then we won't be able to make decisions which affect us

Could you please reply to my post? Or am I just a bloody Yank who doesn't know anything, and so you aren't bothering to?

I mentioned about the free trade deal I just forgot to mention you by name, but I'm sorry for not quoting you about it.

then why have we been told to give prisoners votes? and why cant the British decide what the British do? dont you think it makes more sence?

This is a different topic about the prison votes, the court has the power to make suggestions about a treaty we signed

And can you please turn down the UKIP rhetoric, the British courts decide what British people do, you make it sound like the EU control every court case which they simply don't.

Court is about due process, abu Qatada pointed out that his Human rights were breached through torture, something no-one should go through. We signed a deal with Jordan and he has now left the country. We can't force through illegal prisoners transfers

irishguy123
August 8th, 2013, 08:01 PM
one word answer "nope."

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Court is about due process, abu Qatada pointed out that his Human rights were breached through torture, something no-one should go through. We signed a deal with Jordan and he has now left the country. We can't force through illegal prisoners transfers

but the British systems was happy, we had to persuade a foreigner that we was in the right, why should we answer to anyone? if we know its right then its right.

'The problem is the only two other EU countries to sign a free trade deal of such have been Norway and Switzerland, neither of them have done well out of it because they still had to abide by EU regulation within their industry and other standards, if we leave then we won't be able to make decisions which affect us'... what about the USA? you think they will be told what to do?

Harry Smith
August 8th, 2013, 08:07 PM
but the British systems was happy, we had to persuade a foreigner that we was in the right, why should we answer to anyone? if we know its right then its right.

'The problem is the only two other EU countries to sign a free trade deal of such have been Norway and Switzerland, neither of them have done well out of it because they still had to abide by EU regulation within their industry and other standards, if we leave then we won't be able to make decisions which affect us'... what about the USA? you think they will be told what to do?

A court system has never been happy. You can go to a police station and ask why should I have to answer to you after committing a crime, they'll still arrest you

The Uk and the US are worlds apart in regards to the EU, we're not going to get an American style treaty because we're not american. They're starting a relationship, we would be leaving one

You do know that this EU US treaty is creating millions of Jobs in the Uk and helping boast our economy, all thanks to terrible EU

britishboy
August 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM
A court system has never been happy. You can go to a police station and ask why should I have to answer to you after committing a crime, they'll still arrest you

that doesn't answer my question, why should a foreign power tell us what to do when we're happy and the country we're sending him too is happy?

You do know that this EU US treaty is creating millions of Jobs in the Uk and helping boast our economy, all thanks to terrible EU

because the US is a great country, and I would say slightly different from Romania and Bulgaria?

The Uk and the US are worlds apart in regards to the EU, we're not going to get an American style treaty because we're not american. They're starting a relationship, we would be leaving one

the UK has the 6th largest economy, it will benefit them

Walter Powers
August 8th, 2013, 08:17 PM
The problem is the only two other EU countries to sign a free trade deal of such have been Norway and Switzerland, neither of them have done well out of it because they still had to abide by EU regulation within their industry and other standards, if we leave then we won't be able to make decisions which affect us

I mentioned about the free trade deal I just forgot to mention you by name, but I'm sorry for not quoting you about it.

This is a different topic about the prison votes, the court has the power to make suggestions about a treaty we signed

And can you please turn down the UKIP rhetoric, the British courts decide what British people do, you make it sound like the EU control every court case which they simply don't.

Man I forgot Britian is so much weaker then America so you don't have as much leverage :p

Regardless, the amount of money Britian is losing to the EU, is 51,000,000 a day (is it or ? )That can't be anywhere near the amount you gain with the enhanced trade.

TheBigUnit
August 8th, 2013, 08:59 PM
From the way I see it....the reason why the EU was originally made was because America was so successful because theres free trade between the states and there being 50 states and a really large country with resources everywhere we really benefit....suppose texas wants to secede, they could possibly self sustain but the economy would hurt because the business in texas need other resources but it costs them a bit just to get it....bottomline Texas will still exist but one example is that many businesses would layoff people. ..

Likewise in uk the unemployment will shoot up..thus weakening the economy and the pound

Just one example why uk might not benefit leaving

Walter Powers
August 8th, 2013, 11:54 PM
From the way I see it....the reason why the EU was originally made was because America was so successful because theres free trade between the states and there being 50 states and a really large country with resources everywhere we really benefit....suppose texas wants to secede, they could possibly self sustain but the economy would hurt because the business in texas need other resources but it costs them a bit just to get it....bottomline Texas will still exist but one example is that many businesses would layoff people. ..

Likewise in uk the unemployment will shoot up..thus weakening the economy and the pound

Just one example why uk might not benefit leaving

See, you can't compare America to Europe really. That's how our union is totally different then the European Union. Europe is so diverse, you have free market people in some countries and then you have socialists and communists in others. In America, however, the vast majority of us value relatively the same things, and our culture is pretty consistent, pretty much because we are the popular culture! Also, in America incomes and per capita GDP don't very anywhere near the extent in the EU. On one end you have Estonia making only $17 K a year per person, and on the other you have Luxembourg making $70k a year.

A union like this works for Americait's just plain crazy to think it could work for all of Europe. It's too diverse. It's better and more fair to let like people govern themselves.

one word answer "nope."

This is actually a fairly complex issue, so one word won't do. Care to elaborate?

tovaris
August 9th, 2013, 02:32 AM
whoo needs them. They can leave any time they want but they newer will tipical of them all talk... Degaul was right not to let them in the coal and steal comunety.

laurakoller0815
August 9th, 2013, 02:46 AM
hmm im not into that politics issues. but i ask a question. it seems that uk dont feel as a part of european union. sometimes i read or heard the term "continental europe" sperated from uk. kind of confusing.

britishboy
August 9th, 2013, 05:20 AM
hmm im not into that politics issues. but i ask a question. it seems that uk dont feel as a part of european union. sometimes i read or heard the term "continental europe" sperated from uk. kind of confusing.

we dont have the Euro so it is kinda different, thank god we didn't get the Euro!

unemployment will shoot up

why is that?

-please do not double post. -Emerald Dream

irishguy123
August 9th, 2013, 05:57 AM
This is actually a fairly complex issue, so one word won't do. Care to elaborate?[/QUOTE]

I am willing to elaborate. From listening to Cameron, I believe that this is an empty threat in which the UK wants to have more power and control in Europe as Germany and France do.

I believe it would be damaging for both the EU and Britain also. (as well as for my country, as it would mean there would be no free trade between the two countries which is damaging for both economies as it would mean less trade between the countries.

I view European Unity as very important and positive for those involved.

irishguy123
August 9th, 2013, 06:11 AM
See, you can't compare America to Europe really. That's how our union is totally different then the European Union. Europe is so diverse, you have free market people in some countries and then you have socialists and communists in others. In America, however, the vast majority of us value relatively the same things, and our culture is pretty consistent, pretty much because we are the popular culture! Also, in America incomes and per capita GDP don't very anywhere near the extent in the EU. On one end you have Estonia making only $17 K a year per person, and on the other you have Luxembourg making $70k a year.

A union like this works for Americait's just plain crazy to think it could work for all of Europe. It's too diverse. It's better and more fair to let like people govern themselves.

This is actually a fairly complex issue, so one word won't do. Care to elaborate?

Also, who are you to sudgest that the issue is to difficult for me to understand by calling it "complex"
WTF seriously! Do you think I do not understand the concept, and by the way, you have never seen the difference the EU has made in your country because you are not even European so if you are going to question my understanding then I will question yours in return!

Harry Smith
August 9th, 2013, 07:13 AM
that doesn't answer my question, why should a foreign power tell us what to do when we're happy and the country we're sending him too is happy?

because the US is a great country, and I would say slightly different from Romania and Bulgaria?

the UK has the 6th largest economy, it will benefit them

The EU isn't a foreign power, they have the right to suggest to use because we singed a treaty with them that was not related to the EU but to the European human rights treaty, we can't break the law! Even if we leave the EU we'll still have to abide by the human rights act!

I know it will benefit the US as well, this EU trade deals will generate millions of jobs and business without the EU Britain wouldn't have this deal with the US meaning less jobs and less income

Man I forgot Britian is so much weaker then America so you don't have as much leverage :p

Regardless, the amount of money Britian is losing to the EU, is 51,000,000 a day (is it or ? )That can't be anywhere near the amount you gain with the enhanced trade.

To quote a tory based think tank

The UK's contribution to the EU budget is a drop in the ocean compared with the benefits to business of being in the single market,. It could be costly for UK exporters if they face EU legal arguments against UK standards - there could be a lot more court cases.
The UK could lose tax revenue if companies dealing with the eurozone, especially banks, move from the City to the EU

This 51 millions seems to be another figure that Jack has pulled out of nowhere as we does, the above shows that we're gaining from the EU

britishboy
August 9th, 2013, 07:49 AM
This 51 millions seems to be another figure that Jack has pulled out of nowhere as we does, the above shows that we're gaining from the EU

coming from the guy that thought Falkland islanders wasn't British?;) and read this

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2052433/Chart-How-does-Britain-pay-EU-does-back.html

and heres where I got the 51m per day from
www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2052433/Chart-How-does-Britain-pay-EU-does-back.html

Harry Smith
August 9th, 2013, 08:44 AM
coming from the guy that thought Falkland islanders wasn't British?;) and read this

The island is not an extensions of british, just like the cayman islands where I've been it's a British overseas territory, it's very different in legal terms. Also pre-1983 the british government had said that anyone born didn't have the right to a British passport.

Also please don't talk about gaffe's-you've made about a million and one questionable statements on here

My BBC numbers disagree with that, that's only in the rebate. The EU brings in wealth in many other areas. We need EU trade to survive, I don't want Britain to end up like Norway

Walter Powers
August 9th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Also, who are you to sudgest that the issue is to difficult for me to understand by calling it "complex"
WTF seriously! Do you think I do not understand the concept, and by the way, you have never seen the difference the EU has made in your country because you are not even European so if you are going to question my understanding then I will question yours in return!

Before your gonna post in a topic you might as well give an explanation! And I wasn't questioning your understanding, I just didn't feel one word can sum up one of the worlds most influential organizations.

And you are totally allowed to question my understanding. It IS a debate!

britishboy
August 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM
The island is not an extensions of british, just like the cayman islands where I've been it's a British overseas territory, it's very different in legal terms. Also pre-1983 the british government had said that anyone born didn't have the right to a British passport.

Also please don't talk about gaffe's-you've made about a million and one questionable statements on here

My BBC numbers disagree with that, that's only in the rebate. The EU brings in wealth in many other areas. We need EU trade to survive, I don't want Britain to end up like Norway

do you think people will stop trading because of a political union? they dont care about politics only profit, and Norway is an idiot, we can be fully independent with a free trade relationship and with whoever we want to trade with!

Harry Smith
August 9th, 2013, 12:23 PM
do you think people will stop trading because of a political union? they dont care about politics only profit, and Norway is an idiot, we can be fully independent with a free trade relationship and with whoever we want to trade with!

The EU care about politics very much, it's built around politics just like Westminster is. With a free trade treaty we would lose a lot of influence, influence we would need to protect British jobs and British industry.

Norway is not an idiot, it's not a person.

As Cameron has said, we need to be part of the decision making process, with a free trade deal we will lose control and influence because we will still have to meet EU standards.

Also a free trade deal wouldn't deal with freedom of movement, you're going to have more people coming back into the country, Brit's are the second most likely to work in EU countries. The EU makes sense

Walter Powers
August 9th, 2013, 10:07 PM

I am willing to elaborate. From listening to Cameron, I believe that this is an empty threat in which the UK wants to have more power and control in Europe as Germany and France do.

I believe it would be damaging for both the EU and Britain also. (as well as for my country, as it would mean there would be no free trade between the two countries which is damaging for both economies as it would mean less trade between the countries.

I view European Unity as very important and positive for those involved.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see how it's all that positive for the UK, they have to bail out bail out countries because they are being irresponsible, doesn't seem like a good deal to me!

What's wrong with agood old fashioned free trade agreement? They could just leave the EU accept still maintain trade agreements.

The way I view the EU is abusing the UK, so they should get out. Is there any limits to it's power?

Zelder
August 9th, 2013, 11:10 PM
I really don't care Europe is Europe.

You point out how all these European nations are struggling, maybe America should help them out a little? Just a thought.

britishboy
August 10th, 2013, 01:28 PM

You point out how all these European nations are struggling, maybe America should help them out a little? Just a thought.

why should they help them out?

Walter Powers
August 10th, 2013, 02:05 PM

That is crazy. We shouldn't make the same mistake Britain did.

Also, I can give you hundreds of countries whose people desearve help more then the overspending, irresponsible nations of Europe.

Harry Smith
August 10th, 2013, 03:37 PM
That is crazy. We shouldn't make the same mistake Britain did.

Also, I can give you hundreds of countries whose people desearve help more then the overspending, irresponsible nations of Europe.

We didn't make a mistake in joining the EU.

It's generated millions of jobs for Britain and allowed us to have a bigger influence on the world. In a world of increasing Unitarianism it makes sense for Britain- a European country to be in a European Community.

CharlieHorse
August 10th, 2013, 03:41 PM
There's no K in EU, therefore only the U can leave.

Harry Smith
August 10th, 2013, 03:49 PM
why should they help them out?

I'm not saying that the US should help Europe out at all but they have done it in the past and it was very effective. Marshall aid pretty much helped save Europe after WW2

EvanGr
August 10th, 2013, 04:03 PM
well harry's right. you have benefited by entering e.u. as I saw, there are also a lot of skeptists there. well i believe the britsh elections next year will be a referendum as for the britain will remain in eu or not. but think you, euroskeptists, that there won't be any special rights in trading or in other sections. you are not the only ones in the world so i believe that there won't be any special treatment because of being britain.

tovaris
August 10th, 2013, 04:17 PM
I'm not saying that the US should help Europe out at all but they have done it in the past and it was very effective. Marshall aid pretty much helped save Europe after WW2

I doubt that a Usa that can berly survive on its own will be starting a nother marshal or truman plan...
But it would be nice it they would conpensate the World for all the financial amd material damage....
But thats a for a nother future thread...

Bottom line the UK benifits nothing in oeaving and loses a lot. The decision is theirs(yours).
And I beleve that this thaught will pas like many of their thaughts (it is true what they say you know... A dog that barks doesnt bite)

Carlsen
August 10th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Norway was smart only to join EEA agreement. this way Norway it will benefit economics and defence but not have open borders to other countrys.

pieman10
August 22nd, 2013, 09:17 PM
Before the EU was the monster it is today, it was a simple free trade agreement.
Why cant we go back to those times?

Id rather Britain not be dictated to by some low grade bank clerk in Brussels.

Walter Powers
August 23rd, 2013, 12:27 AM

You want MORE?

No way are we going to give Europe money because they were irresponsible. I mean, come on! A region devasted by warfare is completely different then a region full of freeloaders!

SawyerSauce
August 23rd, 2013, 01:00 AM
No, Britain shouldn't leave the EU.

The UK has a few more countries than just Britain also.
I think there is Scotland and part of Ireland included.

britishboy
August 23rd, 2013, 04:41 AM
No, Britain shouldn't leave the EU.

and wales and england, its a union anyway hows that a reason not to?

SawyerSauce
August 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
and wales and england, its a union anyway hows that a reason not to?

That's not a reason. I am correcting the OP.

britishboy
August 23rd, 2013, 03:35 PM
That's not a reason. I am correcting the OP.

oh sorry!:p what do you think on the EU?

SawyerSauce
August 23rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
oh sorry!:p what do you think on the EU?

I don't know much about it. I think it's important to have the EU because everything in Europe is so close and knitted together.

Harry Smith
August 23rd, 2013, 06:04 PM
You want MORE?

No way are we going to give Europe money because they were irresponsible. I mean, come on! A region devasted by warfare is completely different then a region full of freeloaders!

I never said that, not at all. I was stating that Marshall aid did a good Job

DerBear
August 24th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I honestly believe leaving the EU would be a terrible idea. I think we'll end up like some of the countries that have the free trade deal with EU countries except we don't have an overall input on how new rules a formed. Another problematic thing would be travel and working abroad. Many UK citizens would have to apply for a work visa which isn't always easy to get and work for many would dry up. Many people from the UK don't actually work within the UK a lot, they work outside the UK in other EU countries and only return to the UK every month or so. It would most likely lead to a rise in unemployment.

It would also strain relationships that we've spent that last few decades building.

Yolo98
August 24th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Yes. We are better off out.

Capto
August 25th, 2013, 05:25 PM
The UK leaving the EU is an idea best left to short-sighted uber-isolationists with no idea on the adverse effects of an immediate withdrawal or of the immense amount of paperwork and diplomatic backlash that would result.

Interestingly enough, if we follow a New Keynesian dynamic stochastic general equilibrium model's take on the expectations-augmented Phillips Curve, you'll find that the unemployment would actually strengthen the pound.

Also noting that geographically, Scotland is indeed a part of Great Britain, though Northern Ireland, as you pointed out, is not.

[Also, I neglect to mention the British Overseas Territories, as well as Guernsey and Jersey, for fear of greater discourse on the matter occuring. Shetland is a bit of a hassle in this regard though.]

candorgen
August 26th, 2013, 09:54 AM
If the UK leaves, there's a good chance Ireland will too, since both countries are in a close trade relationship. I am with the idea, because I see the EU as a sort of superstate that is reducing member states' powers to act independently.

EU = UTE - United States of Europe.

Harry Smith
August 26th, 2013, 10:28 AM
If the UK leaves, there's a good chance Ireland will too, since both countries are in a close trade relationship. I am with the idea, because I see the EU as a sort of superstate that is reducing member states' powers to act independently.

Ireland wouldn't leave, if you remember the EU have been providing bail out money for ireland because your economy is weaker than nuns piss. How is it a superstate at all?

candorgen
August 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM
Ireland wouldn't leave, if you remember the EU have been providing bail out money for ireland because your economy is weaker than nuns piss. How is it a superstate at all?

Ireland in return has been providing a lot of bailout money for Spain,Portugal and Greece, a lot of that money coming from taxes. Ireland would leave the EU if the UK does, because trading would be much easier. Also, if Ireland leaves, we have our own currency, which is better, because having an international currency means that the currency's value can change due to foreign causes, our of the country's control. It seems a better idea to have a currency that you can have full control over.

To Harry Smith:
On an entirely different topic, thanks for the reply yesterday, it helps.

Harry Smith
August 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Ireland in return has been providing a lot of bailout money for Spain,Portugal and Greece, a lot of that money coming from taxes. Ireland would leave the EU if the UK does, because trading would be much easier. Also, if Ireland leaves, we have our own currency, which is better, because having an international currency means that the currency's value can change due to foreign causes, our of the country's control. It seems a better idea to have a currency that you can have full control over.

To Harry Smith:
On an entirely different topic, thanks for the reply yesterday, it helps.

I know, but that's the joy on the EU- all the members pitch in together. Without the EU ireland wouldn't get any money and you would be losing millions of pounds through trade that the EU helps bring in. If you had your own currency, yes you would control over it but the only control would be negative. Look at how Zimbabwe have done with their money.

The problem is also that Ireland would lose most of it's influence since it's not in NATO

candorgen
August 26th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Hmm...
My opinion stands the same.
Ireland could at least leave for a year and see if things get worse or better; a sort of trial run at an independent currency. It might sound hard to do, but the world is not exactly in an economic situation where the easy options get you places.

britishboy
August 26th, 2013, 11:30 AM
I know, but that's the joy on the EU- all the members pitch in together. Without the EU ireland wouldn't get any money and you would be losing millions of pounds through trade that the EU helps bring in. If you had your own currency, yes you would control over it but the only control would be negative. Look at how Zimbabwe have done with their money.

The problem is also that Ireland would lose most of it's influence since it's not in NATO
I agree with this, the EU is a massive benefit to small countries like Ireland
Hmm...
My opinion stands the same.
Ireland could at least leave for a year and see if things get worse or better; a sort of trial run at an independent currency. It might sound hard to do, but the world is not exactly in an economic situation where the easy options get you places.
you can't do that, no one will invest in Ireland because of the uncertainty and what happens in a year is no real guide on the future

the UK and Ireland aren't that closed, remember how you got independence? by blowing us up (IRA) and we're completely different countries

and the United States of Europe will fail because we're too different

candorgen
August 26th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Best to call all of my opinions void in practicality then.
I'm here to just give opinions and ideas, idk what would happen if they were to be used.
Bad things probably.

Slippers
August 30th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Certainly! The EU has been a damaging and detrimental project for ALL of Europe but particularly the UK. There's a feeling in our country - particularly from the older generations who fought valiantly against Nazism - that we've merely replaced one oppressive German regime with another. A sentiment I agree with!

Harry Smith
August 30th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Certainly! The EU has been a damaging and detrimental project for ALL of Europe but particularly the UK. There's a feeling in our country - particularly from the older generations who fought valiantly against Nazism - that we've merely replaced one oppressive German regime with another. A sentiment I agree with!

Well that's just wrong, it's an insult to anyone who faught in WW2 to compare Nazism which killed 6 million people alone to the EU leadership

Vlerchan
August 31st, 2013, 07:28 AM
Ireland trades more with the EU than with the UK. It'd be a really, really bad idea to leave. That's not to mention the bailouts. Also; CAP.

As for the UK leaving: Well, if they want to damage their economy further then I say let them (I don't exactly have a voice in the issue, anyway). I'm not just talking about putting trade at risk but FDI, too. Multinationals have already warned that pulling out of the EU could be extremely detrimental towards investment and the UK needs this sort of investment to stimulate its already weakened economy. Though, saying that, Ireland being the sole English speaking gateway into Europe would be pretty nice.