PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety Disorder

These.scars.are.me.
August 3rd, 2013, 06:11 PM
my friend convinced me to tell her whats bothered me recently so i told her and she thinks i have SAD i did 4 or 5 different online tests from reliable sites and they all said i am very likely to have it. i would also say i have it looking at a list of symptoms and signs. anyone else got it and anyways of getting treatment or any tips with how to cope with it?

blue666
August 19th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Social anxiety is basically shyness or awkwardness. I've always had it. If it's really bad, you can talk to your doctor and see about anxiety medication. You also just kinda have to tell yourself that socializing isn't a big deal. Hang out with people that you're comfortable with. Plenty of people have it but just don't know or don't talk about it.

Deleted User
August 19th, 2013, 01:38 AM
Social anxiety is basically shyness or awkwardness. I've always had it. If it's really bad, you can talk to your doctor and see about anxiety medication. You also just kinda have to tell yourself that socializing isn't a big deal. Hang out with people that you're comfortable with. Plenty of people have it but just don't know or don't talk about it.

Social anxiety disorder is NOT shyness or awkwardness. That's almost offensive to say. Shyness is just getting nervous in or before situations you may be unfamiliar with like presenting in front of a class or meeting new people. And shyness goes away relatively quickly once the situation proves itself to be less daunting than it seemed. Social anxiety is a fear of doing things like that or being in social situations. It's also known as a social phobia. It often prevents sufferers from engaging in social activities, cancelling plans, being unable to do presentations and things that require being in front of people. My social anxiety is so bad I had to quit my job because it required working with people and I'd have panic attacks so bad at the thought of being around people that I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I was at home. Situations can be completely safe and yet a social anxiety disorder can blow things way out of proportion. It's normal to be shy, it's a disorder when it affects your life and you start avoiding things because of it.

Social anxiety manifests in different ways... behavioural, emotional, cognitive... things like not making eye contact or refusing to eat in front of others or speak are behaviours. Emotions are that of anxiety, dread, fear, etc. Cognitive stuff is often thoughts and obsessions about people watching and judging you. It's a lot more than just avoiding unfamiliar people. Some people with social anxiety still have problems hanging out with people they are comfortable with on a good day. They can have trouble in relationships and when dating.

So actually, you're wrong about what social anxiety disorder actually is. There are varying levels of severity but the main part is whether or not you start frequently changing your habits to avoid people due to intense fear and anxiety. If the OP feels anything like what I described, speaking to a doctor is your best bet. Anxiety meds can be prescribed but therapy is also very good for social anxiety to help work through the fear behind the disorder.

Shyness is natural, SAnD is an actual mental illness.

More information here. (http://www.anxietybc.com/resources/social.php)

And here. (http://www.anxietycanada.ca/english/SAD.php)

JamesSuperBoy
August 19th, 2013, 03:41 AM
my friend convinced me to tell her whats bothered me recently so i told her and she thinks i have SAD i did 4 or 5 different online tests from reliable sites and they all said i am very likely to have it. i would also say i have it looking at a list of symptoms and signs. anyone else got it and anyways of getting treatment or any tips with how to cope with it?

What sites and tests on line did you do?

In any case maybe you should see a doctor about how you feel and why.

That way you kinda get help and know for sure - I am sure your friend means well.

1_21Guns
August 19th, 2013, 07:26 AM
I agree with everything Jo said, along with the comment of you shouldn't take online tests no matter how 'reliable' the websites are, those tests are not doctors. They can't really tell you anything, most of those tests pretty much say I'm insane, but they're just online tests made to freak hypochondriacs out.

blue666
August 20th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Social anxiety disorder is NOT shyness or awkwardness. That's almost offensive to say. Shyness is just getting nervous in or before situations you may be unfamiliar with like presenting in front of a class or meeting new people. And shyness goes away relatively quickly once the situation proves itself to be less daunting than it seemed. Social anxiety is a fear of doing things like that or being in social situations. It's also known as a social phobia. It often prevents sufferers from engaging in social activities, cancelling plans, being unable to do presentations and things that require being in front of people. My social anxiety is so bad I had to quit my job because it required working with people and I'd have panic attacks so bad at the thought of being around people that I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I was at home. Situations can be completely safe and yet a social anxiety disorder can blow things way out of proportion. It's normal to be shy, it's a disorder when it affects your life and you start avoiding things because of it.

Social anxiety manifests in different ways... behavioural, emotional, cognitive... things like not making eye contact or refusing to eat in front of others or speak are behaviours. Emotions are that of anxiety, dread, fear, etc. Cognitive stuff is often thoughts and obsessions about people watching and judging you. It's a lot more than just avoiding unfamiliar people. Some people with social anxiety still have problems hanging out with people they are comfortable with on a good day. They can have trouble in relationships and when dating.

So actually, you're wrong about what social anxiety disorder actually is. There are varying levels of severity but the main part is whether or not you start frequently changing your habits to avoid people due to intense fear and anxiety. If the OP feels anything like what I described, speaking to a doctor is your best bet. Anxiety meds can be prescribed but therapy is also very good for social anxiety to help work through the fear behind the disorder.

Shyness is natural, SAnD is an actual mental illness.

More information here. (http://www.anxietybc.com/resources/social.php)

And here. (http://www.anxietycanada.ca/english/SAD.php)

So you're saying I don't know what it is, even though I have it and have been diagnosed with it. And I'm being offensive. Makes sense. I am AFRAID of being around people. But I would call that, on some level, shyness. Awkwardness, since I have few social skills. People who are shy usually feel social anxiety. You're just using big medical definitions for that.

brennacharles
August 24th, 2013, 01:18 PM
I was just recently hospitalized for severe recurrent depression, suicidal thoughts, and multiple anxiety disorders including this one.. It's a difficult and debilitating thing to live with. I'm here for anyone who has questions about being put in a mental hospital for such things, medications, and support.. <3

Also, most people suffer from some form of mental illness; depression and anxiety being the most common. SAD may simply be an uncomfortable feeling to some people while to others, the thought of even talking to someone on the phone might send them into a panic attack. What people experience and how they cope with their disorder is not going to be the same for any two people.

Syvelocin
August 29th, 2013, 06:43 PM
SAD is a tough one, although of all my "mental quirks," this one is most definitely the most recovered. None of this is factual or research by the way, this post I'm writing is pure experience so you know. The issue with SAD is that it's reinforced the more you listen to it, and the most effective way to recover from it is exposure therapy. I deal with bipolar disorder, OCP, and anorexia/BDD. SAD is probably tied for the most difficult for me to overcome (although I'm fine with the OCP, never tried to fix that) because it was pure tough love I had to give myself to get over it, and it's one of the most miserable to be in because you simply hate it so much. The utter loneliness is unbearable, but it has your anxiety to speak to.

I find it effective to treat it like a phobia, which it is, although how fitting that term is depends on the individuals symptoms I guess. How do you get over a fear of spiders? You put yourself around spiders. On that front, I capture the spiders I would otherwise be killing, keep them in bottles and look at them throughout the day. As terrible as it is, with SAD, you simply have to put yourself out there. Stop being a hermit, stop avoiding social situations, and go do it all. Take an acting class, even if you're not into acting. A lot of people go into college acting classes to become better speakers, or to simply gain confidence. It works wonders. Start small, depending on how severe your symptoms are. But NEVER give in to your anxiety.

My SAD started small. It was never bad, until I fed it. Especially over summer holidays, the anxiety would grow and grow because I was humouring it. Before I knew it, I'd go back to school and I literally felt I could not eat in the canteen. The reason it grows is because you avoid it so much.