PDA

View Full Version : racism? still a problem?

britishboy
July 31st, 2013, 03:57 AM
is racism still a problem in countries like the UK, USA, Australia and Canada? (all develped western countries) I don't think it is, yes it still goes on but ive never seen it and no one complains about it when were talking about politics, what do you think?

Lost in the Echo
July 31st, 2013, 04:02 AM
I agree. It still happens on occasion, but it's nothing like it was, like 50-150 years ago.

TheDeepestDepths
July 31st, 2013, 05:34 AM
But it still happens and that makes it a problem. I've seen evidence of it, just because you're sheltered doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Maybe it isn't as prominent as it was in the past but as long as it still exists it is a problem.

Harry Smith
July 31st, 2013, 05:49 AM
It's still a problem,it's just much more devolped than it was 20-30 years ago, you've got it on both sides.

You've got the Quota system in both South Africa and America where white people are denied jobs purely so that companies can meet government quotas for the number of black workers.

In Britain we've got a police force which has been described by high court judges as institutionally racist, a police force which refuses to deal with racial murders in the proper manner and a police force which is 28 times more likely to search black people using stop and search, something which has been found to be breach of a human rights

teen.jpg
July 31st, 2013, 05:58 AM
Definitely a problem. It's quite sad really. Race is for the most part so insignificant.

britishboy
July 31st, 2013, 06:15 AM
it doesn't effect most people, the real problem in Britian is the hate towards gay people however it could be argued that it's no where near as bad as places like Iran or Russia

Harry Smith
July 31st, 2013, 06:38 AM
it doesn't effect most people, the real problem in Britian is the hate towards gay people however it could be argued that it's no where near as bad as places like Iran or Russia

7/7 only affected 56 people, it was still terrible. The size of a problem doesn't matter one bit, it's the very nature of it. The exucation of a mentally disabled 18 year old in texas only effects one person, that still means it's a terrible problem. You can't simply dismiss it.

So what since it's worse somewhere else it's not a problem, that's just plain stupid. Thousands of gay teens kill them-self every year based on bullying, schools still fail to prevent it. It's a major issue in Britain.

Have you heard of Stephen Lawrence?

Racism is still a problem, you can't dismiss it using a chocolate tea pot argument as you always do

britishboy
July 31st, 2013, 06:47 AM
7/7 only affected 56 people, it was still terrible. The size of a problem doesn't matter one bit, it's the very nature of it. The exucation of a mentally disabled 18 year old in texas only effects one person, that still means it's a terrible problem. You can't simply dismiss it.

So what since it's worse somewhere else it's not a problem, that's just plain stupid. Thousands of gay teens kill them-self every year based on bullying, schools still fail to prevent it. It's a major issue in Britain.

Have you heard of Stephen Lawrence?

Racism is still a problem, you can't dismiss it using a chocolate tea pot argument as you always do

1) it is a problem yes, especially in the working class however its small compared to current problems
2) yes gay men have it hard in Britian, I said it could be argued that theres charities there and it's little compared to other countries
3) don't think I have? I'll Google him in a minute.

Harry Smith
July 31st, 2013, 06:57 AM
1) it is a problem yes, especially in the working class however its small compared to current problems
2) yes gay men have it hard in Britian, I said it could be argued that theres charities there and it's little compared to other countries
3) don't think I have? I'll Google him in a minute.

It's still a valid problem, wow.

A charity doesn't mean anything? There's charities working for human rights in china, does that mean there are human rights in china? No,

By your logic it would of been okay to imprison Jews in the 1940's because they had it worse in Germany.

I'm concerned about the treatment of British citizens in Britain, it doesn't matter what the rest of the world is doing- it's about Britain

TheDeepestDepths
July 31st, 2013, 07:39 AM

Honestly, that's like saying to a black person "Don't complain, that gay guy over there has it much worse than you. His problems need to be fixed first." Sure, the LGBT community are suffering from bigotry. But when it comes to things like this a hate crime is a hate crime and all need to be treated as such. Racism isn't just a small problem either (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-18155255).

The bigotry is more widespread, prominent and extremist in those countries, yes, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't just as awful here.