PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like mild schizophrenia?

Joseph69
July 28th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Hello, sorry if this is a long post, I'll get straight to the point :P

I believe I may have mild schizophrenia, but I'm not entirely sure so I just wanted to know people's opinion, here's the symptoms I'm having;

Recently I've been wanting to be around people less, and when I'm with people I don't want to talk and I'll only say something if I'm asked a direct question (I'm not too bad at talking to my parents though)

Changing thoughts/ideas quickly, quite often I'm thinking about something and then I start thinking about something entirely different and I don't even realise its happened at first.

I have a serious lack of concentration with almost anything I do (I like computer programming and can concentrate on that for hours, but not much else)

Recently I've become more 'flat' - eg having less emotion, but some days I'm fine though.

I've been struggling to talk properly, having to take long pauses to remember what I was saying, also very slight stuttering or getting words mixed up.

Voices.. But I 'think' them rather than 'hear' them. For example, it doesn't sound like there's someone in the room with me, it seems like the voices are in my head, like an extra reading voice for example. The main one I 'hear' is like a computer; it often warns me of danger or describes the surroundings in what seems like an electronic voice (hence why I described it as sounding like a computer). When people say they hear voices, it's actually like there's someone in the room isn't it? So perhaps what I have is completely different.

I've also noticed mild visual issues, for example, seeing a flash of light in the room when there is definitely nothing around which could have caused it.. I've only experienced this about 5 times and only seems to happen when I'm tired.

I'm also having issues remembering things, or my memory being very slow.

I know some of those things may not even be related to schizophrenia but I wanted to mention them.
Also, I have symptoms of Aspergers (which I've not been diagnosed with) and symptoms of Palinopsia (which I have been diagnosed with)

So, what do you think? Schizophrenia or something else?
Thanks.

Surreal
July 28th, 2013, 10:47 PM
What are your sleeping habits?
A lot of this sounds like Aspergers and depression or sleep deprivation

The concentration, flatness, quickly changing thoughts (known as racing thoughts), memory, social avoidance can all be depression.

The flatness, racing thoughts, social avoidance, and conversations with self could be Aspergers. The flatness is referred to as 'monotone' and a lot of people with Aspergers / Aspie people have it. Most likely it's depression though because it changes for you, as you stated.

I don't know much about Palinopsia other than the basics of what it does.

I'm asking your sleeping habits because if you're sleep deprived, the racing thoughts, conversations, unexplained lights, memory, stuttering, concentration, and flatness could all be explained.

It doesn't seem like Schizophrenia, though. Talk to you doctor just in case. Don't rely on a forum for something like this! I am not licensed! I have Aspergers and have been severely sleep deprived (to hospitalization), and have been severely depressed before. Most of this is personal experience.

Get some good sleep. Drink a lot of water. Eat a good, balanced meal. Let me know if anything changes.

Hope this helps,
-Amy

Joseph69
July 29th, 2013, 06:07 AM
What are your sleeping habits?
A lot of this sounds like Aspergers and depression or sleep deprivation

The concentration, flatness, quickly changing thoughts (known as racing thoughts), memory, social avoidance can all be depression.

The flatness, racing thoughts, social avoidance, and conversations with self could be Aspergers. The flatness is referred to as 'monotone' and a lot of people with Aspergers / Aspie people have it. Most likely it's depression though because it changes for you, as you stated.

I don't know much about Palinopsia other than the basics of what it does.

I'm asking your sleeping habits because if you're sleep deprived, the racing thoughts, conversations, unexplained lights, memory, stuttering, concentration, and flatness could all be explained.

It doesn't seem like Schizophrenia, though. Talk to you doctor just in case. Don't rely on a forum for something like this! I am not licensed! I have Aspergers and have been severely sleep deprived (to hospitalization), and have been severely depressed before. Most of this is personal experience.

Get some good sleep. Drink a lot of water. Eat a good, balanced meal. Let me know if anything changes.

Hope this helps,
-Amy

Thanks for your answer. When I was at school I was getting about 6-7 hours of sleep per night, and now that I've finished school, I'm getting around 10-11 most nights and I hadn't noticed any changes in the symptoms once I started getting more sleep.
Also, I forgot to mention that I sometimes get very angry, very quickly, but I'm not sure if that's relevant :P

Thanks again for your answer :)