PDA

View Full Version : What has happend?!?

Jasperf
July 24th, 2013, 09:18 PM
If you think about it up until like the 21st century nudism was considered normal, teen guys would swim together down at the swimming hole naked ect. Way back in the Greek and roman times people barely even wore cloths :p
When did everyone become such gumnophobes? And what is your stand on this?

FrostWraith
July 24th, 2013, 09:51 PM
I disagree with the premise. Consider the style of dress in, say, the 1800's compared to the current one. Clothes today (especially for women) are far more revealing than they used to be, and bathing suits used to cover the whole body. Look at pinup models from the 1920's. I'd say that people are far more okay with revealing their bodies then they used to be.

TheDeepestDepths
July 25th, 2013, 09:36 AM
I disagree with the premise. Consider the style of dress in, say, the 1800's compared to the current one. Clothes today (especially for women) are far more revealing than they used to be, and bathing suits used to cover the whole body. Look at pinup models from the 1920's. I'd say that people are far more okay with revealing their bodies then they used to be.

I see where you're coming from, but I also see the other side. It seems we've become far more comfortable with revealing skin but the idea of full nudity has become an almost abstract thing. Before such conservative notions - back in Greek and Roman times - nudity was not a bad thing, people just opted not to walk around naked to protect against the weather and disease as well as show people their status, but it wasn't bad.

Now it is. People even a generation or two before us would have had no issue stripping and swimming together when children and only stopping stripping in front of the other gender when puberty hit. Now we have to be clothed.