PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with a 20 week abortion ban?

darthearth
July 23rd, 2013, 03:34 PM
I'm trying to understand why a 20 week abortion ban is controversial. Doesn't 20 weeks give a potential mother enough time to decide? I consider myself pro-choice but shouldn't there be a line somewhere?

Thanks for the information, I really am trying to form an opinion on this, any help will be appreciated.

Clarification edit: I realize there is another abortion question on this forum, the reason I started a new thread is the specific question of why isn't 20 weeks enough time for a decision (and the child's development seems to cross an important line, at least visually to me between 18 and 20 weeks). 20 weeks seems to be a line forming among the American public (from polls). I just don't understand the controversy. I'm confused. Are there instances where a woman will need longer than 20 weeks to reach a decision?

Walter Powers
July 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
There is no logic to being opposed to it. You can tell because liberals are against it ;)

FrostWraith
July 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
I'm trying to understand why a 20 week abortion ban is controversial. Doesn't 20 weeks give a potential mother enough time to decide? I consider myself pro-choice but shouldn't there be a line somewhere?

Thanks for the information, I really am trying to form an opinion on this, any help will be appreciated.

If there's no legitimate reason to ban it, then it shouldn't be banned. The argument of most liberals on this is that there is no overwhelming reason to ban abortion after 20 weeks. Theoretically, women shouldn't need to have abortions at all; it's just that they want the freedom to do so if it does come up.

zeebo
July 23rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
20 weeks definitely makes sense, and I am pro choice as well. However, the argument is why 20 weeks? What is someone changes their mind, or some sort of financial situation pops up and the mother/couple can no longer care for the soon-to-be baby? Conservatives are just so much against the idea of abortion that any restriction pleases them.

darthearth
July 23rd, 2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the responses, this whole issue drives me nuts. One would think since there are two diametrically opposing extremes that a middle ground compromise would be welcome by all. This is such a vicious topic. Why can't we gather around an accepted "line", like the age of consent and drinking age and such. That's what confuses me.

Gigablue
July 23rd, 2013, 07:32 PM

Clarification edit: I realize there is another abortion question on this forum, the reason I started a new thread is the specific question of why isn't 20 weeks enough time for a decision (and the child's development seems to cross an important line, at least visually to me between 18 and 20 weeks). 20 weeks seems to be a line forming among the American public (from polls). I just don't understand the controversy. I'm confused. Are there instances where a woman will need longer than 20 weeks to reach a decision?

Twenty weeks is arbitrary. there is no reason for that to be the cutoff. If you wanted a more viable cutoff point, you could set it at the point of viability (24 weeks has a 50% chance of survival, 30 weeks has a >95% chance), or at the point where the fetus can feel pain (some time after 28 weeks, possibly much later). The fact the fetus has a significant visual difference between 18 and 2 weeks is irrelevant. We should use science to inform out decisions, not superficial impressions.

There is no logic to being opposed to it. You can tell because liberals are against it ;)

Complete Ad Hominem. It adds nothing to the discussion. If you think there's a valid reason, you should state it. Don't just try to associate abortion rights with something you consider to be bad.

Thanks for the responses, this whole issue drives me nuts. One would think since there are two diametrically opposing extremes that a middle ground compromise would be welcome by all. This is such a vicious topic. Why can't we gather around an accepted "line", like the age of consent and drinking age and such. That's what confuses me.

I don't view it as two extreme viewpoints. You have one that cares about Women's rights and one that doesn't. to place restrictions on a woman's right to control her own body is absurd. While this isn't as bad as banning abortion completely, it would be a step in the wrong direction. Trying to find some middle ground is problematic because it gives false balance. The pro-choice and anti-choice positions do not deserve equal merit.

My overall opinion is the same as my opinion on abortion in general. Women have the right to be in complete control of their own bodies. You can't legislate that away. The rights of the mother are always greater than those of the fetus, no matter the stage of the pregnancy.