PDA

View Full Version : nationalism good or bad?

britishboy
July 21st, 2013, 12:58 PM
what do you guys think of nationalism?
this is a 5min video watch it all
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CzmJVD_6ro&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9CzmJVD_6ro
I think its fine as long as it doesn't get extreme

Harry Smith
July 21st, 2013, 01:00 PM
I don't really think that BGT is nationalism that much, all it does is prove how boring we are as a nation, for me nationalism is pretty ugly no matter what, it's about a group of people wanting to isolate them-self and avoid changes to society

Cygnus
July 21st, 2013, 01:27 PM
I think it is alright, except for the US. They are so horribly nationalistic they have become ignorant.

Harry Smith
July 21st, 2013, 01:38 PM
I think it is alright, except for the US. They are so horribly nationalistic they have become ignorant.

That in itself is pretty hypocritical, due to the fact your hatred for the US is one of the running themes of nationalism of many southern American countries.

Left Now
July 21st, 2013, 01:40 PM
I think limited nationalism is useful and good;no problem with that.

Southside
July 21st, 2013, 01:40 PM
Nothing wrong with thinking your country is Number One....It's just when your ego gets so big that you think you can tell others what to do is where it gets too much

RoseyCadaver
July 21st, 2013, 01:54 PM
It separates people and creates wars, so I think it's bad. The end.

removeddddd
July 21st, 2013, 02:18 PM
I suppose it does create some sort of segregation

OrKing
July 21st, 2013, 02:24 PM
I personally don't like it. To me it seems to create unnecessary conflict between people and within people, not to mention that it tends to work against equality and often causes racism. I just don't see enough pros for it to be justified.

Stronk Serb
July 22nd, 2013, 02:35 AM
No, wars happened because of it.

Azunite
July 22nd, 2013, 05:47 AM
Nationalism boosts morale and gives people an aim they need. It is needed.

Unless you go "Fuck Europeans and Asians go Team Arabi" or vice versa

Steven1
July 22nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
I think its alright, so long as it doesn't become extreme or lead to extremism.

Walter Powers
July 22nd, 2013, 11:39 AM

Talk about hypocritical.

If you think we're nationalistic now, be thankful you weren't alive virtually anytime in our past!

PinkFloyd
July 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
I think it's okay as long as it doesn't get as bad as it did in my country with some people...

britishboy
July 22nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
it also won wars, it saved the falklands and stopped britian from surrendering in ww2

RoseyCadaver
July 22nd, 2013, 01:28 PM
People can say it has won wars (in a positive way) but I see that more as patriotism. Fighting for your country or working hard because you love it and want to keep it the way it is, not creating unity by dividing those who don't fit into your cultural taste or background.

Walter Powers
July 22nd, 2013, 03:05 PM
it also won wars, it saved the falklands and stopped britian from surrendering in ww2

Exactly. Without it Churchill would have surrendered and we very well could be speaking German right now.

Actually I take that back, it would take the Nazis a hundred years longer to invent the Internet then the free world did.

britishboy
July 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM
Exactly. Without it Churchill would have surrendered and we very well could be speaking German right now.

Actually I take that back, it would take the Nazis a hundred years longer to invent the Internet then the free world did.

agreed haha:P but we also have you Americans to thank for us not speaking German:)

Stronk Serb
July 22nd, 2013, 04:59 PM

The people of the Falklands just thought it would better under British rule. They were not isolationist people who deened non-Brits as bad people. British soldiers in WWII were fighting for the defence of their homeland. That is patriotism, not nationalism

Considering German technological development which the Allies stole after the war, internet would be invented approximately at the same time, albeit with restrictions.

agreed haha:P but we also have you Americans to thank for us not speaking German:)

You are overexaggerating, before '43, they had minimal influence in Europe, only sending weapons and some volunteers. But the Battle of Britain wasn't won by American pilots on American planes. It was won by the British pilots on Spitfires. Same goes for El Alameyn. The Brits carried the full load of the war in the west, while the Soviets were carrying the load in the east. If it was not for Japan, America wouldn't give a rat's ass.

britishboy
July 22nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
You are overexaggerating, before '43, they had minimal influence in Europe, only sending weapons and some volunteers. But the Battle of Britain wasn't won by American pilots on American planes. It was won by the British pilots on Spitfires. Same goes for El Alameyn. The Brits carried the full load of the war in the west, while the Soviets were carrying the load in the east. If it was not for Japan, America wouldn't give a rat's ass.

I 100% agree, the soviets helped a lot in pushing the Germans from the otherside however like the Americans, they didn't care until they themselves got attacked. My point was that they helped alot with push into France. And by the way, those on the Falklands are British as they're on a British overseas territory

tovaris
July 25th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Nationalism is alvais bad you onoy have shades from bad to worst.

britishboy
July 26th, 2013, 03:18 AM
Nationalism is alvais bad you onoy have shades from bad to worst.

it can bring countries together and won WW1, WW2 and the Falklands

Stronk Serb
July 26th, 2013, 04:04 AM
it can bring countries together and won WW1, WW2 and the Falklands

You mistake nationalism with patriotism. Nationalism is when you think that your nationality is the best in the world.

britishboy
July 26th, 2013, 04:06 AM
You mistake nationalism with patriotism. Nationalism is when you think that your nationality is the best in the world.

oh I see, then nationalism is bad, looking inwards only creates racism and can have a large effect on economies