PDA

View Full Version : Just can't stop drawing v2

Jeremy08
July 8th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Hey everyone !
It's me again and this is my second art entry. The first thread was rather heavy and I can't update it any longer. If you have time for me, kindly spot my weaknesses in these pieces. Rate my drawings on a scale of one to ten.

Any suggestions on what should I draw next?

Kristen Stewart.

http://i.imgbox.com/acuyaMDO.jpg

One of this month's finest. Everybody loves Emma Watson.

http://i.imgbox.com/acn0Am7K.jpg

She's without a doubt an amazing girl. One of a kind.

http://i.imgbox.com/abo5k3IO.jpg

Here's to never growing up! A simple Avril Lavigne sketch I made earlier.

http://i.imgbox.com/adm5JXiZ.jpg

The whole state had a blackout that day. Never happened before actually. I made this piece in the dark. One of the candles I used to light up the house.

http://i.imgbox.com/acidvdh0.jpg

Dear God, the only thing I ask is to hold her when I'm not around.

http://i.imgbox.com/abgI5KcR.jpg

Where exactly do you draw the line between noise and music?

http://i.imgbox.com/adv5BB0u.jpg

I understand that not everyone can produce such fine pieces of art. Nor do I. However, I do believe that it doesn't take a genius to understand, feel and appreciate art. After all, life imitates art far more that art imitates life. I shall keep this art folder of mine. Who knows, someday these memories will keep me. After all, art is a Bang.

More updates next time!
I am Jeremy, and I just can't stop drawing!

darkwoon
July 9th, 2013, 09:13 AM
I won't give marks over those - the photos are way too small to give extensive review and criticism.

There are few criticisms to make on those. "Emma Watson" shows strange contrast differences between the left and right side of the face (one of the eyes is deep-dark, the other is greyish). "Avril Lavigne" eyes are unevenly aligned and sized. Her face as a whole looks very flat and lacks the distinctive shading underlining the skull shapes. "The Candle" shadow rendering is not working well - not only does it make the candle foot look more as if it was made of wood, but more importantly, I'd expect a scene lightened by a candle to display more contrasted shadows and darks/whites all around. Nothing to say about the "Rose", its rendering seems correct. Nothing to say about the "Skrillex" one either, because it is too simple to actually say a lot about it.

Ok, no marks for each picture. But marks for the whole, maybe. There's little to say about the technique; you know how to hold pencils, and that shows. You also know how to watch real-life things. What leaves me somewhat dubious is your understanding and use of lights and shadows, as well as your perception of the geometries that lie "under the skin of details" so to speak - the underlying structures, shapes, or anatomy. 6/10 for me, thus.

My advices ? Speed drawing/sketching from real-life characters and scenes would be an interesting exercise. Second: drawings from imagination - reproducing reality is nice, but easy compared to creation. Three: study light and contrasts - manuals or exercises initially aimed at amateur photographers would be of great use there (check in particular resources related to the use of flashes and other artificial lightsources in photo).

Last - and most important - advice: show your drawings on professional artboards like Café Salé (www.cfsl.net). They'll provide you tons of help and tips on how to improve your work.

Good job - keep it up!

Jeremy08
July 11th, 2013, 03:19 AM
I won't give marks over those - the photos are way too small to give extensive review and criticism.

There are few criticisms to make on those. "Emma Watson" shows strange contrast differences between the left and right side of the face (one of the eyes is deep-dark, the other is greyish). "Avril Lavigne" eyes are unevenly aligned and sized. Her face as a whole looks very flat and lacks the distinctive shading underlining the skull shapes. "The Candle" shadow rendering is not working well - not only does it make the candle foot look more as if it was made of wood, but more importantly, I'd expect a scene lightened by a candle to display more contrasted shadows and darks/whites all around. Nothing to say about the "Rose", its rendering seems correct. Nothing to say about the "Skrillex" one either, because it is too simple to actually say a lot about it.

Ok, no marks for each picture. But marks for the whole, maybe. There's little to say about the technique; you know how to hold pencils, and that shows. You also know how to watch real-life things. What leaves me somewhat dubious is your understanding and use of lights and shadows, as well as your perception of the geometries that lie "under the skin of details" so to speak - the underlying structures, shapes, or anatomy. 6/10 for me, thus.

My advices ? Speed drawing/sketching from real-life characters and scenes would be an interesting exercise. Second: drawings from imagination - reproducing reality is nice, but easy compared to creation. Three: study light and contrasts - manuals or exercises initially aimed at amateur photographers would be of great use there (check in particular resources related to the use of flashes and other artificial lightsources in photo).

Last - and most important - advice: show your drawings on professional artboards like Café Salé (www.cfsl.net). They'll provide you tons of help and tips on how to improve your work.

Good job - keep it up!

Hey darkwon,

Thank you so much for those suggestions and comments. Fascinating. Dude, you inspire me. It's quite alright to not to rate each piece. Marks you've given to me for the whole is good enough for me.

The criticism that you have forwarded are indeed useful. I figured that there is flaw in every piece if I study them back in detail. Though I find myself fail to notice any mistake when I see my drawing on paper. Taking snapshots of those pieces from different angles show slight noticeable difference if you get what I mean. I've made a recent update, the Kristen Stewart up top. Check it out.

It cheers me that you acknowledged my ability of 'getting the hold' of pencils. Yes, I truly love drawing using only pencils. It is just quite difficult sometimes to take snapshots of my pieces considering the fact that graphite shines on exposure to light. It is also true that I can deeply see real life things and transfer them into paper in drawing but yea, none of my pieces are perfectly fine in the eyes of artists.

Deciding from your words of advice, I figure that you must be a talented professional artist. You must have studied art to a different level. Unlike me, I am just a hobbyist. I mean seriously, look at your avatar, man. Awesome sketch.

I'm sorry but I never post any of my work on Café Salé. I made my deviant art account quite recently however.

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Rayquaza
July 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Very nice photos. Personally I couldn't critique them even if I tried. Regardless of whether the photos are "way too small", I think they're perfect the way they are, and you don't need imaginary marks to tell you that. I'm a fan!

Jess
July 28th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Lovely drawings! You're really good at drawing people. I also love the rose.