PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if I have schizophrenia, but...

Pinkamena
June 2nd, 2013, 04:59 PM
Last year during the summer, I went several weeks without any social interaction with anyone.
I began having vivid auditory hallucinations, talking to several inanimate objects, and giving them completely human traits. Since then, I only occasionally hear things at random times, but nothing serious.

Miserabilia
June 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Could be. Maybe you're just mildly insane like I am ^_^
It kind of depends:
-Can you controll lots of it? You're like me YAY :D
-No controll, tells you what to do, loud voices, etc. -> probably schizofrenia

Pinkamena
June 2nd, 2013, 11:04 PM
It kind of depends:
-Can you controll lots of it? You're like me YAY :D
-No controll, tells you what to do, loud voices, etc. -> probably schizofrenia

Well, when it happens, I can't control it, but it doesn't tell me to do bad things. And I have a grip on reality enough to not obey it.

MrMundane
June 3rd, 2013, 05:15 AM
maybe

MrMundane
June 3rd, 2013, 05:16 AM
maybe.

AustinKGB
June 11th, 2013, 06:42 PM
If you don't mind me asking; have you been through any sort of physical or psychological abuse (etc.)? It's important to rule out possible causes of symptoms which are derived from stress or coping mechanisms, like PTSD, or other abnormal psychological behaviour such as Dissociative disorder.

Pinkamena
June 12th, 2013, 04:28 PM
If you don't mind me asking; have you been through any sort of physical or psychological abuse (etc.)? It's important to rule out possible causes of symptoms which are derived from stress or coping mechanisms, like PTSD, or other abnormal psychological behaviour such as Dissociative disorder.

When I was 10-ish I saw my grandpa get crushed to death by his own truck.
That's about all I can think of.

I also attendwards 3 funerals a year. I have a big family, so a lot of grief around me. It's stopped affecting me, though. I don't get sad very easily or often.

AustinKGB
June 12th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Did any of those events have any particular effect on you at the time? Like depression? It could have been a coping mechanism from your brain, not anything as extreme as dissociative disorder/multiple personalities, but it could still have put you on a bit of a trip, I'm sure.

Are/were you using an medication? (should've have asked that first, sorry). The simple mixing or misuse of (medical) drugs could have set something awry.

Pinkamena
June 13th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Did any of those events have any particular effect on you at the time? Like depression? It could have been a coping mechanism from your brain, not anything as extreme as dissociative disorder/multiple personalities, but it could still have put you on a bit of a trip, I'm sure.

Are/were you using an medication? (should've have asked that first, sorry). The simple mixing or misuse of (medical) drugs could have set something awry.

No medicine. I don't like taking meds.
And uh, I did get a little depressed at the time, but I'm fine now.

Twilly F. Sniper
June 13th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Last year during the summer, I went several weeks without any social interaction with anyone.
I began having vivid auditory hallucinations, talking to several inanimate objects, and giving them completely human traits. Since then, I only occasionally hear things at random times, but nothing serious.

But I'm not sure; As several things cause hallucination. Since you recently stated you don't take meds, than likely, yes, you are mentally disordered.
You are not alone, as I am also mentally disordered with cyclothemia (like Bipolar disorder, except with a normal phase.)

AustinKGB
June 15th, 2013, 09:55 PM
@Sargeant Threeface: Just because Pinkamena isn't taking prescription drugs does not mean she has a mental disorder. Mental disorders are physical states the brain can find itself because of genetic, psychological or physical triggers. What she's experiencing could very well be caused by a simple biological trend in her brain. Please don't suggest things you don't fully understand, but I'm glad you want to help!

CosmicNoodle
October 12th, 2013, 05:43 PM
I did exactly this, i live in a small village far from any of my friends, so on the break between finishing high school and starting Yale i did not meet anyone at all but my family, and i don't talk to them. I was alone for about 7-8 weeks, now that i look back it is kind of interesting to see how i went odd when there was no social interaction.
I started going a bit odd just like you did, i have names for a lot of inanimate objects in my room. Sasha my old PC, she is a bit slow but is a friendly giant and i like her, Dimity my new PC, he is an athlete, fast witted, quick to judge but is a nice person. Andrew, the book case, he is an intellectual.
I was capable of having conversations with them and treated them like people, asking how they where, saying sorry if i walked into them, jets just say i went a bit odd to say the least. This was a very stressful time as well so that had something to do with it.
Thankfully when i started college i became sane again, but i still use the names.

anonymous13
October 13th, 2013, 03:39 PM
It kind of depends:
-Can you control lots of it? You're like me YAY :D
-No control, tells you what to do, loud voices, etc. -> probably schizophrenia
I'm legitimately clinically insane
also semi control
mild hallucinations both auditory/visual

Katiya
October 14th, 2013, 12:54 AM
What you describe is not schizophrenia. Perhaps a mild form of psychosis or as some one else has stated a coping mechanism or imbalance of chemicals in the brain.

If it gets worse be very sure to see a psychiatrist for meds as those could help greatly and prevent it form becoming worse.

HomicidalNotSuicidal
November 13th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Actually, studies show that going for extended periods of time without human contact can cause your brain to fill the "empty space" with voices/hallucinations. It has nothing to do with your mental stability...