PDA

View Full Version : Am I ADD?

nicknack100
May 10th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I haven't been diagnosed but I've been told by many ADD friends that I probably am.
I find it extremely difficult to stay still e.g. I'll always have like a leg shaking or a hand tapping.
I can't stop talking...like literally, if I start talking I'll just blurt out my whole life story then I feel bad in the end cos I didn't let the other person talk (Which also makes for my lack of friends)
I do find it difficult to pay attention a lot of the time, like if I'm reading a book I can't do a sitting of more than like let's say 10 minutes unless it's a SUPER good book, ironic because I do very well in school but I always tend to start talking to the person next to me instead of listening to the teacher...

Croconaw
May 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM
You most likely are ADD. That doesn't matter though. I also have ADD and I'm slowly growing out of it.

Rayquaza
May 10th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I don't think you have ADD. I think you may have Autism.

I wrote a sticky about it here (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174586), have a read and see if you match any of the criteria.

Autism shows a lot of signs that ADD show, however you're able to stay intrigued in a good book, and a lot of people with ADD are not able to go that far. You also mentioned in another thread you had social anxiety. This is more common to autism, as well as the hand tapping and leg shaking. Many autistic children do lose interest in things quickly, which can explain why you do not pay attention in class. It is also common for autistic children to go off topic and talk about things irrelevant and inappropriate for the conversation, shown here by you talking about your life. I'd recommend talking to your parents and seeing what they think, as well on actions that you perform that you aren't aware of and do subconsciously. Ask them to give you an assessment for a diagnosis as it sounds more likely to be autism than ADD.

nicknack100
May 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
I don't think you have ADD. I think you may have Autism.

I wrote a sticky about it here (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174586), have a read and see if you match any of the criteria.

Autism shows a lot of signs that ADD show, however you're able to stay intrigued in a good book, and a lot of people with ADD are not able to go that far. You also mentioned in another thread you had social anxiety. This is more common to autism, as well as the hand tapping and leg shaking. Many autistic children do lose interest in things quickly, which can explain why you do not pay attention in class. It is also common for autistic children to go off topic and talk about things irrelevant and inappropriate for the conversation, shown here by you talking about your life. I'd recommend talking to your parents and seeing what they think, as well on actions that you perform that you aren't aware of and do subconsciously. Ask them to give you an assessment for a diagnosis as it sounds more likely to be autism than ADD.
Been tested for autism several times due to mothers' worry, definitely don't have it, but tyvm for the reply :)

TheUselessAndUnwantd
May 17th, 2013, 11:34 AM
It does sound allot like you have ADD or ADHD, or quite possibly even aspergers syndrome which is what i have paired with ADD. I too have a tendency to not be able to sit still or focus for periods of time longer then it takes to cook popcorn lol. as a-matter-a-fact im in an inschool suspension room atm and im finding it extremely hard to focus and not get up and throw in the towel so i know im having an ADD moment. other times like last weekend i will have a day where im just right out straight and cant stop talking. that right there will tell me im having a day. i think if you talk to your school professional such as a guidance counselor or even a special education teacher in your school who might give your parents a call and help point them in the right direction so they can take the right steps to help you so you can succeed in school. i know without the right help it can be hard to function and be successful in school. good luck man

Fdmember
May 28th, 2013, 03:00 PM
yeah i have it soooo probably

NotShortButFunsized
June 4th, 2013, 03:23 PM
i have it and that sounds like what i do, so id say yes, but obviously its something your doctor has to take a looc at and decide from a professional medical standpoint. they give a survey to your parents and all your teachers to get an idea of how you behave at home and in class and stuff, and then decide from there

Pseudogeek
August 28th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I haven't been diagnosed but I've been told by many ADD friends that I probably am.
I find it extremely difficult to stay still e.g. I'll always have like a leg shaking or a hand tapping.
I can't stop talking...like literally, if I start talking I'll just blurt out my whole life story then I feel bad in the end cos I didn't let the other person talk (Which also makes for my lack of friends)
I do find it difficult to pay attention a lot of the time, like if I'm reading a book I can't do a sitting of more than like let's say 10 minutes unless it's a SUPER good book, ironic because I do very well in school but I always tend to start talking to the person next to me instead of listening to the teacher...

You just described me. In order to get through more than a chapter of a book, I had to be dip dyeing my hair because that made it so I couldn't go anywhere while reading.

Lost in the Echo
August 28th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Please don't post in threads that have been inactive for over 2 months. :locked: