PDA

View Full Version : ADHD Diagnosis and Medication

screamtobeheard
May 9th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Last night, my boyfriend did a screening quiz for ADHD, and is now convinced that he and I both have it (I also took the quiz, and scored even higher than he did). Now, he's talking about going to the doctor and actually getting a diagnosis with ADHD from a doctor and possibly going on medication. I understand that not being able to focus and get schoolwork done is a major problem for him, mostly because I have the same problem and it's extremely frustrating. At the same time, I don't want him to get medicated because I don't want his personality to change. I don't know if that makes sense or if it's just selfish or whatever. But my question is, does anyone have any advice for this situation? Or any insight into what ADHD medication does to you? I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks.

NotShortButFunsized
June 4th, 2013, 03:27 PM
first of all, dont trust online quizzes, theyre all a joke. anyways. i understand your concern, being that the medication can do alot to your mood and personality. However, the medication affects everyone differently, so the only way you can find out what it does to him is to have him try it. my advice would be to see what the doctor says, and if he gets prescribed for something, let him take it for a month or two, see what changes, and then have a talk about whether the benefits it provides outweigh the consequences of taking it. I personally had an awful time with the medication (the doctor was stupid and gave me three times the dose for what i really needed, didnt find out until i went to another doctor either) and the side effects were pretty bad and it didnt even really do what it was supposed to, so i had to stop.
anyways, like i said, the only way you can know is to try. then you can see whether it works for him and whether what he gained is worth what he lost.

Hangover
June 6th, 2013, 03:39 PM
^What Chelsea said, you should give it a shot. I've got adhd, but haven't got my meds yet.
It takes time, but I feel going to the doctor was really worth it for me. I've got a diagnose, and I'm getting meds for it soon enough.
Try the meds out, if you guys don't find it worth it he can always stop taking them and you'll know the cause of his/your trouble.

Hullo I'm Sara
July 9th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Don't trust quizzes, as other people said, and if you do go to the doctor, do not let them put you on Adderal. I had a very bad experiance with it.