PDA

View Full Version : online dating?

Jakey116
March 14th, 2013, 08:10 PM
what are your guys views on online dating? is it okay, is it weird..

Ryhanna
March 14th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Through a dating website?

My Aunt and Uncle met through the internet. They're happily married now. So I guess I'm find with online dating. You have to be careful, though, you can never be sure of a persons intentions. This is true of regular dating also, but there's more anonymity on the internet.

JoeHillsTSD
March 14th, 2013, 08:51 PM
I'm just giving my opinion here and I know at least one person will disagree:

I don't think that online dating is really healthy. Like, finding someone online and dating them outside of the computer is perfectly fine. I.e Eharmony or blackpeoplemeet or whatever. I think it's perfectly ok for people to search for dates online and be involved with them in real life.

But I don't think actual online dating, Internet based interactions, is healthy for a relationship or a person. When people "fall in love" with someone over the Internet, they're not in love with that person, they're in love with who that person says they are. You can tell someone anything or exclude anything in your life on the Internet, and be whoever you want. Take me for example, who's to say my real name isn't Debra and I'm some middle aged woman from Nigeria (I'm not lol). You can be anything you want to e on the Internet, and easily manipulate someone who is in an online relationship with you or vice versa.

Plus, online dating doesn't have that physical interaction that you get when you're with someone in real life. You can't hold a computer, or kiss it, or hug it, and get a response back.

Jakey116
March 14th, 2013, 09:04 PM
i kind of agree with you both

anyone50
March 15th, 2013, 02:24 AM
Through a dating website?

My Aunt and Uncle met through the internet. They're happily married now. So I guess I'm find with online dating. You have to be careful, though, you can never be sure of a persons intentions. This is true of regular dating also, but there's more anonymity on the internet.

I agree with most of what your saying especially the anonymity part but online dating and a dating website is ussually considered two be two different things. The majority of online relationships ussually involve two people from different parts of the country and they never actually meet each other where as dating web sites pair up couples in the same general locality and the primary purpose is to actually meet face to face on a real date.

swaggerman84
March 15th, 2013, 03:31 AM
yea it is cuz you take a pic from google and crop it and there's your avatar or whatever and you don't know the other person intentions are and you might talk and try and get serious but you may find out that person was lie everything on there was lie remember kids that's how rapist,murders get their victims! Soo not always safe don't rely on that my friends not safe also I wish it could send you a message like STOP BE BE A PEDO!!! Or something like that even better HE BE A MURDER KILLED 20 WOMEN ALREADY AND YOU WILL BE NEXT IF YOU DON'T CLICK BACK HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!

Berad
March 15th, 2013, 03:43 AM
Long distance relationships are pretty pointless in my opinion. Can be a little dangerous too if you're reckless. But if your cautious, and just looking for people with same interests/attractions, I don't see the harm in it.

Atonement
March 15th, 2013, 03:45 AM
I'm always a firm believer of: If that's what makes you happy, do it.

However, for me, the long-distance anonymity of it kind of puts me off. If I'm dating someone, I want to be with them. If it's exclusively online, that's just a friendship to me. If it's meeting online and dating in reality, I have absolutely no problem with that.

Cicero
March 15th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I think that there is a higher chance of dating someone you actually like, it's basically having their life on a piece of paper. You know who they are before you meet them which can prepare you

DerBear
March 15th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I think that there is a higher chance of dating someone you actually like, it's basically having their life on a piece of paper. You know who they are before you meet them which can prepare you

I'd disagree.

You'll find people you have stuff in common with sure, But you don't really know the person until you meet them and then usually they make themselves sounds like the best thing since sliced bread but then you meet them and there attitude and personality is completely different.

CastigateMe
March 15th, 2013, 10:54 PM
I think it's fine, as long as you are mature enough to know what you are doing, understand the risks you could be taking, and are willing to be very safe about it.

If you are not a legal adult, I believe your parent(s)/guardians should be aware of your relationship, and should consent to it. If possible, it would be even better to have some sort of video chat with the person and your parents so you are all clear on what is what, and have both parties provide some sort of proof of who they are.

In general though, I think they're fine, as long as you're safe about it; just as you would be with an offline relationship.

Jess
March 15th, 2013, 11:01 PM
It's okay if you understand the risks. It can work out, but not always and not for everyone. It's not the best way to find a partner though.

Cicero
March 15th, 2013, 11:09 PM
I'd disagree.

You'll find people you have stuff in common with sure, But you don't really know the person until you meet them and then usually they make themselves sounds like the best thing since sliced bread but then you meet them and there attitude and personality is completely different.

That's why you meet them after you get to know each other online. It's better them meeting them blindly or even asking someone because you know their hobbies and such

unnamed94
March 16th, 2013, 02:43 AM
it may seem kinda harsh but i believe that all relationships that are online are crap. there has to be a phyisical connection in a relationship for it to work, which obviously cant occur on an online relationship. you can completely fake who you are online or even pretend you are somebody else, who would find out? of course its different when we are talking about some dating websites that introduce you to someone and you then meet them.

xmojox
March 16th, 2013, 03:03 AM
People lie in real life too, y'all. Just because you're lookin at a person's face don't mean they ain't lyin through their teeth. Just sayin. Everyone has to do what makes him or her happy. And it's always a good idea to be careful in any relationship, online or otherwise.

thisisben
March 16th, 2013, 05:38 AM
i dont like the idea of it , because most people i know who tried it , mostly were fakes and peadophiles targeting vulnerable people.