PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance Relationships

frankie97
February 19th, 2013, 11:33 AM
I recently started talking to this guy and we really "clicked" we have similar interests and love talking to each other. But he's in California and im in New York :( so when he asked to be my boyfriend I was surprised, nervous and hesitant. But in the end I agreed and now we're... I guess "dating"? (not sure what to call it exactly yet)0_o anyway I'd just like some advice on long distance relationships; the good and the bad, personal experience or otherwise. >Not sure if this matters much but it's a gay relationship.<

Atonement
February 19th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Well, first of all, have you actually met? That distance sounds like an online relationship which can be something quite different.

Under the presumption that this is just "long-distance", I've always been against them to a large extent. I'm a person that enjoys intimate proximity, hugs, face to face chats, etc. Those aren't things I could do long-distance. Now, what you really need to do is ask yourself what your expectations are from the relationship and if you think you'l be able to achieve them. If your expectation are right, you should be fine. If not, I would reevaluate your situation.

Apollo.
February 19th, 2013, 11:45 AM
I've always been somewhat against them but thats for me, personally I couldn't be without the physical contact the hugs, nights in cuddling and things like that, they work for some people. Have you met the guy? If not do you plan on meeting the guy? If you do just be careful you can never be truly sure you know who know who people are online. I wish you guys all the best though!

frankie97
February 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM
We have not met, we've talked for a while Kik, text, phone call (I love his voice <3 .) I guess an online relationship would describe it better, I was against the idea of long distance/online relationships but something seems different about him. It's hard to explain but we just connected....I hope I get to visit him soon but after all I'm only a teenager who's not out of the closet and it would be hard to justify going to see another guy in California to my anti gay family...

Akasuki
February 19th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Just be honest and be loyal. I was in an online relationship too (CA and PA) and now I live with him. Be patient but don't expect it to last.

anyone50
February 20th, 2013, 03:51 AM
My first instinct is be cautious because you haven't meet him in person and there are a lot of men who pose as someone much younger to talk to guys and girls as well. If you haven't already i would advise doing a video chat so at least you know who your talking to and this comes from first hand experience.

I agree being a teen you can't just ask your parents to travel across the country to meet someone you talk to online and you don't mention anything about his age and if he has offered to travel to meet you so how does he feel about this online relationship?

My advise is don't do anything you can't undo because in all proabability the chance of this working out is a long shot just because of your age. I meet this guy online in a chat room when I was 13 and it lasted almost a year before i realized I was missing out on life. All my friends where going out to partys and having fun while i sat in front of my computer or on the phone with this guy and all of a sudden he just wasn't there one day and his number had been diconnected. He got want he wanted from me and proably moved onto someone new. I think your first instinct that you were against this type of relationship was the right one.