PDA

View Full Version : Having Tests Done

lifeguardd3
February 10th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Hi guys! So a few weeks ago I was at my therapist. I've been seeing her for a while. After telling her about my problems sleeping and random bursts of energy and being happy (sometimes I feel just so overwhelmed by this that i have to to run far away) she suggested I might have bipolar disorder. She explained mania and depression and it really made sense. Lately I've been sleeping way more and find it hard to be happy or feel anything at all... So last Tuesday I had some tests done. It was mostly multiple choice about how I feel. Some of the questions were kind of ridiculous. But some did apply to me, like self harm. When I'm depressed I cut. This Tuesday I'm taking the wexler intelligence test and some other one. Then after that we are going to go over the results... My dad denies it, but he has bipolar and his side of the family has a bad history. I'm just afraid what the results will be:( what could come out of this:confused:

candabear17
February 10th, 2013, 08:19 PM
I myself don't have bipolar disorder but I know several people who have serious mental illnesses like bipolar disorder schizophrenia and psychosis. I myself have PTSD. I think having any kind of mental illness that effects you physically is hard but at the same time it puts you at ease. All the things you never understood about yourself are suddenly explained. Not only do you then know why you do the things you do, but you'll be able to learn to control them. Whatever your diagnosis is, try your best to stay positive. Freaking out about it won't help you at all. Good luck! :)

Syvelocin
February 14th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Definitely don't freak out about it. A diagnosis doesn't change anything! All it does is help the doctors better treat you :) But regardles of the diagnosis, you'll still be the same person you've always been.

And don't worry, cause the bipolar club is great! I'm honoured to be a part of it. Do you know how many creative and brilliant minds were also bipolar? It's a blessing, in my opinion. I mean, we have to suffer through some tough shit, but everyone I've spoken to, if faced with a choice to get rid of it or keep it, would choose the latter.

Yeah, if your dad is bipolar, then there's a huge chance you are. Nothing concrete, but my mum's convinced we're a three-generation line of bipolar girls. My grandmother was never diagnosed or anything, but my mum seems pretty sure. Then she's bipolar, I'm bipolar. My half-sister is at the least depressed, but I have worries she's bipolar, too.

I'll have to dig up the statistics again. But bipolar disorder is insanely hereditary. In children with bipolar parent(s), something like half the children in the study had some sort of psychiatric issues, 15-20 percent already had some form of bipolar. To compare that, statistics for non-bipolar parents are about 0% to 2% having bipolar children.

rocketsheep
March 11th, 2013, 04:26 PM
fffff