PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety getting in the way

Megson
January 26th, 2013, 11:39 PM
I have not been diagnosed with any anxiety disorders, but I suffer from terrible anxiety on a daily basis. I have trouble making and keeping friends, I can't open up to people without worrying about what they'll think of me, and I tend to keep to myself. I can't embarrass myself if I don't talk to anyone, right? I can't call for pizza or chinese without panicking a little when the phone is ringing. I make other people order food for me at restaurants. I can hardly speak on the phone with people without being nervous. There's more, but I'm done rambling about all that.

I need to get a job. I'm almost 18, never worked before, and I need a job so I can get my drivers license. But the idea of going in for interviews scares the hell out of me, and the thought of working around lots of people is even worse. My parents just think I'm lazy for not looking harder for work. They have no idea how bad my anxiety gets, and they don't understand.

What should I do?

lyriclover
January 27th, 2013, 02:45 AM
Talk to a profecional. They can prescribe medication to help you.

ReginaGeorge
January 27th, 2013, 03:11 AM
By the sounds of the severity, you would benefit from talking to a professional, but not to be put on meds immediately like the person above said. He/she can really study your situation and judge the best way to help you out, and if that is medication than that's okay too. You can talk to your doctor (or a local doctor) to refer you to a therapist/counselor/psychologist, whatever, or you could do some research of available professionals in your area. Some places have free mental health services, but you will have to look into that. Private practices will cost money, and it can be expensive. If you go to school, or college, you can visit the counselor there. When you get a job, a lot of those have access to professionals as well.

As for day-to-day stuff, when you try to do little things that trigger your anxiety, just take deep breaths, and physically tell yourself it's okay, tell yourself the reality of the situation "it's okay, you're just ordering pizza, nothing can go wrong, after this, you'll have delicious pizza, nothing will happen", and just really try to push past the little things. You will need to try and conquer it slowly, or else you'll be stuck as you are now, at square one.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

baseballfan
March 16th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Talk to a profecional. They can prescribe medication to help you.

Pretty much this. Only a professional is qualified to give advice