PDA

View Full Version : Signature crit

MrVanity
December 28th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hey:whoops:

I made my own sig pic, this was my first photoshop attempt. What do you think. If you like it i would be happy to make more.

Lost in the Echo
December 28th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I think it looks really cool.
Good job. :)

TheSocialInspector
December 28th, 2012, 07:01 AM
It's brilliant.

MrVanity
December 28th, 2012, 07:04 AM
So would you be interested in a sig shop like origami or other people who do sigs.

makyoch
December 28th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Pretty good, actually. But make think about a better contrast between colours, dark purple on black doesn't tend to stand out too well the way you've used it :P

MrVanity
December 28th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Pretty good, actually. But make think about a better contrast between colours, dark purple on black doesn't tend to stand out too well the way you've used it :P

Thanks, is there a way to use purple (other than a very light lavender) with black.

darkie
December 28th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks, is there a way to use purple (other than a very light lavender) with black.

Hmm, if you're using Photoshop, I suggest starting off with a big file (something like 1600x500) at first, so when you shrink it down to the forum's limit on sig dimensions, it would look crisp and it wouldn't look blurry (unless that's the effect you're after.)

The cut out of the person at the right is pretty okay for a first attempt, but it could be better. If you're using the pen tool to crop out things, use Bezier curves and points to make it a bit smoother (I think that's Alt+A as a shortcut) so it wouldn't look just like a cut out. Also have feathering set to 1 or 2 pixels when you're cutting it out. Or better yet, just use layer masks. :)

The star pattern's pretty cute.

The text, hmm, you can use dark purple/lavender and just add an outer glow of white (or a light color like light lavender or something) to it so it sort of stands out from the black background (something a bit like my sig) and you could try out loads of fonts, the brush font for the "Mr Vanity" doesn't really work well visually with something like Times New Roman/fonts that look too formal. Again, the fonts are pretty nice but it could use some work (and the blurriness sorta detracts from it, but if that's what you're aiming to do, then alright.)

If I made a wrong assumption that you aren't using Photoshop, well... :D Bottom line is that it's pretty good as first try and there's a load of room for improvement. And I think that I've talked a bit too technical up there my inner Photoshop geek went full out so just VM me if you need any more help. :)

Overall, it's a 3/5. You should've seen my (shameful) first try at things like this, yours is 5 times better! :)

makyoch
December 28th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Hmm, if you're using Photoshop, I suggest starting off with a big file (something like 1600x500) at first, so when you shrink it down to the forum's limit on sig dimensions, it would look crisp and it wouldn't look blurry (unless that's the effect you're after.)

An image at 1600x500px would turn out... Ew. The sigpic limits here are, I believe, 400x130. I usually set my canvas to about that size, and work off of that as well as other, much bigger canvases to put it all together. It would totally screw up the aspect ratio if you were to resize an image from 1600x500 to 400x130 (most of the one's I've made are at around 400x128.)

Harley Quinn
December 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM
An image at 1600x500px would turn out... Ew. The sigpic limits here are, I believe, 400x130. I usually set my canvas to about that size, and work off of that as well as other, much bigger canvases to put it all together. It would totally screw up the aspect ratio if you were to resize an image from 1600x500 to 400x130 (most of the one's I've made are at around 400x128.)

400x125 is the limit, I usually make mine 400x120 though because that was the old limit. You can make the best looking sig in the world but, the quality drain as soon as you put it on VT will make anything look shit. It's not just picsigs, it effects text ones too.

If you resize a massive image, it'll end up looking blurry as hell. You're better off trying to find a small one that you want and work of that.

I made my own sig pic, this was my first photoshop attempt. What do you think. If you like it i would be happy to make more.

Considering it's your first attempt, it's not completely bad. I personally hate the font you used though. You just need to work on it more, as they say, practice makes perfect. Then again, I don't make pic sigs because to me they're impossible, I'm used to text ones. Most work like that, some can only make one type. I think Origami can only really do pic sigs - however, I may be wrong, he can correct that if he sees.

MrVanity
December 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM
400x125 is the limit, I usually make mine 400x120 though because that was the old limit. You can make the best looking sig in the world but, the quality drain as soon as you put it on VT will make anything look shit. It's not just picsigs, it effects text ones too.

If you resize a massive image, it'll end up looking blurry as hell. You're better off trying to find a small one that you want and work of that.

Considering it's your first attempt, it's not completely bad. I personally hate the font you used though. You just need to work on it more, as they say, practice makes perfect. Then again, I don't make pic sigs because to me they're impossible, I'm used to text ones. Most work like that, some can only make one type. I think Origami can only really do pic sigs - however, I may be wrong, he can correct that if he sees.

I hate the font too. I just couldn't get photoshop to accept my custom fonts.

Harley Quinn
December 29th, 2012, 06:27 AM
I hate the font too. I just couldn't get photoshop to accept my custom fonts.

Where have you downloaded them from?

If you get fonts from dafont.com, they have a FAQ that might help you (http://www.dafont.com/faq.php), they usually download into a zip file that you just need to extract/unzip and install in C:\Windows\Fonts - that is of course assuming you're using a pc not mac, otherwise I can't help you, the FAQ will.

Origami
December 29th, 2012, 07:51 PM

It's not bad for a first attempt. I've never met anyone whose 'first' sig was splendid. My own for example: http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/relyh/sasuke.png

As far as criticizing, I won't go into the fundamentals of signature making here. I don't really feel like posting a wall of text tonight; however, I would suggest finding a way to draw more attention to your render instead of your text. It fits together well enough, but ultimately the eyes are drawn to the big text in a random font more than it is to the image, which I would assume was the core piece in your sig. All in all I'd just look up some tutorials and practice if you plan on making image signature (noticed I was used as an example) but if you plan on making text sigs then just play around in Photoshop and you'll get the hang of it in time.

There are about a million ways to use purple. It's just a matter of sitting their and laboriously playing with all the different possibilities.

False. DO NOT do this. Ever. Never. Stop right now. Don't even fucking think about it. A higher resolution image shrunk down does, in fact, help retain the crisp feel of a high detailed image; however, VT has file compresses that most of you don't realize are in place. Every time you upload your image to be used here VT automatically compresses the file (reducing image quality) so that it will save server space and overall load time. Make it VT regs and work there. Your image will look better after compression if you just work small.

-DUCES!

Mirage
December 29th, 2012, 11:50 PM

It looks slightly blurry, did you save it as a .JPG?

Try saving it as a .PNG and if you don't have it already, download Paint.NET from here (http://getpaint.net). It's a much better editing program than MS Paint.

On a side note, your sig pic reminds me of the first one I ever made back in December of '11 :D Good times...

darkie
December 30th, 2012, 03:41 AM
False. DO NOT do this. Ever. Never. Stop right now. Don't even fucking think about it. A higher resolution image shrunk down does, in fact, help retain the crisp feel of a high detailed image; however, VT has file compresses that most of you don't realize are in place. Every time you upload your image to be used here VT automatically compresses the file (reducing image quality) so that it will save server space and overall load time. Make it VT regs and work there. Your image will look better after compression if you just work small.

-DUCES!

This seems to be a learning experience for me as well. The situations and restrictions in VT and the other forums I make sigs in are quite different so I guess this is a learning thing for me too, thanks! :)

MrVanity
December 30th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Where have you downloaded them from?

If you get fonts from dafont.com, they have a FAQ that might help you (http://www.dafont.com/faq.php), they usually download into a zip file that you just need to extract/unzip and install in C:\Windows\Fonts - that is of course assuming you're using a pc not mac, otherwise I can't help you, the FAQ will.

I have no problem getting to font to work in any program (word, publisher, ect) It just wont work on photoshop.

It looks slightly blurry, did you save it as a .JPG?

Try saving it as a .PNG and if you don't have it already, download Paint.NET from here. It's a much better editing program than MS Paint.

On a side note, your sig pic reminds me of the first one I ever made back in December of '11 Good times...

I'm not using MS paint this was photoshop.

Origami
December 30th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I have no problem getting to font to work in any program (word, publisher, ect) It just wont work on photoshop.

What version Photoshop are you using?

Restart your PC.
Make sure the fonts are ttf files, as others can be tricky.
All else fails, Google it.

MrVanity
January 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM
What version Photoshop are you using?

Restart your PC.
Make sure the fonts are ttf files, as others can be tricky.
All else fails, Google it.