PDA

View Full Version : Pruning Trashed Posts

Kiros
October 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
As some of you know, vBulletin handles deleting posts in a way which always subtracts the post from the user's total post count. To get around this, the staff simply moves the posts to a trash can so users will not have the posts deducted from their post count. This trash can has been getting larger and larger as time goes by and I figure it's about time to empty it to reduce space and to optimize performance for quite a few procedures and database queries.

To do this, I will be using the pruning method*. Supposedly, this way of deleting posts does not subtract post count - which makes sense because prunes are quite massive in size and calculating and deducting the posts from each user would be very time consuming. However, I have not taken notice to this, so basically, I'm unsure as to whether or not post counts will be affected.

Please note, I'm only stating this as a warning that post counts may be reduced. Although, there's a good chance that nothing user-specific will come of this. In the case that a post count does drop, please do not ask for an increase to the original number, because if your post was deleted, then it was most definitely for a good reason.

The prune will take place tomorrow around the evening (CST).
* This prune will also include the trash can for the member forums.

Thank you for understanding.