PDA

View Full Version : Can't leave "rep" on IPhone

Apollo.
October 10th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hi guys, I use virtual teen on my phone the majority if not all of the time, the usability is great but I have one slight problem and I don't know if there's a way round it, basically when I want to give "rep" I can't give a reason why, The box opens but as soon as I try to type it closes. Any ideas why? This is not a major problem at all just a minor inconvenience all in all vt on iPhone is great!

StoppingTime
October 10th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yea, I've had that problem as well. It's because the browser on the iPhone (even if you download Opera or Chrome) cannot support the javascript used by this site. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any good way around it.

Mirage
October 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
The iPhone web browser can't support how freaking cool this site is :)

Really if you want to use this site a lot on iPhone you should just download Tapatalk from the app store. It is formatted to work well with the site however you can't give rep from there either. Also, Private Messaging is disabled on there due to a security glitch.

Sorry I couldn't really help :/

SosbanFach
October 10th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Yea, I've had that problem as well. It's because the browser on the iPhone (even if you download Opera or Chrome) cannot support the javascript used by this site. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any good way around it.

What is said here is absolutely true, however there is one (albeit non-optimum) solution. Virtual Bulletin has a non-JavaScript fallback, so if you use Safari, go into settings and select 'Safari'. From there, set JavaScript to 'off'. Now whenever you attempt to give rep, it will open in a new tab, and function normally. Unfortunately disabling JavaScript disables some functionality on certain sites, hence non-optimum. Nevertheless, I hope this is of some assistance.

In addition, I can absolutely recommend the TapaTalk iPhone/iPod Touch app. It lacks certain functions (reputation, visitor messages, chat, private messages as of recently etc.) but it has a far superior interface for general posting and browsing on a mobile device. It is 2.99 in the UK, but absolutely worth it.

Apollo.
October 10th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Aw ok guys, thanks for the replies anyway at least I know now:)

Desuetude
October 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Instead of just clicking the box, click and hold the scales (rep button) and it should come up with options which include 'open in a new window' or something to that effect. It'll come up with just the rep box and options on a whole new page which you'll then be able to type in. Whether this works with apple I don't know but it certainly does with android phones.

SosbanFach
October 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Instead of just clicking the box, click and hold the scales (rep button) and it should come up with options which include 'open in a new window' or something to that effect. It'll come up with just the rep box and options on a whole new page which you'll then be able to type in. Whether this works with apple I don't know but it certainly does with android phones.

It does; I didn't know that. It gives the non-JavaScript fallback without having to disable JavaScript. That's how it's done, then.

Apollo.
October 10th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys!!:D

Infidelitas
October 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I have given rep with my iPhone before. Don't know why you can't now.

ackmedsgirl666
October 13th, 2012, 09:01 PM
there is an app on iphones and ipods for online forums but it costs like 6 bucks to download. i have never seen it so i dont know how it looks or works

ackmedsgirl666
October 16th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Nice discussion, thanks for sharing
i suspect sarcasm <._.>

Infidelitas
October 16th, 2012, 04:43 AM
i suspect sarcasm <._.>

Spam bot, actually.

ackmedsgirl666
October 16th, 2012, 04:55 AM
alrighty.
man these newer members make it hard to write anything on here without getting any negative feedback.
theres this other guy on here "oldschool" whos new hes a bigger spam bot

ImCoolBeans
October 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM
alrighty.
man these newer members make it hard to write anything on here without getting any negative feedback.
theres this other guy on here "oldschool" whos new hes a bigger spam bot

By spam bot he doesn't mean a person who spams, he means a computer generated user that is only here to advertise. A lot of the times they have the links to the products their advertising in the signature and will post a short, useless and unrelated post just to get those links out there. So you got tricked by a computer :P

ackmedsgirl666
October 16th, 2012, 06:26 PM
ohhh i see :) ok