PDA

View Full Version : PETA vs. Pokemon

Thanatos
October 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM
PETA has a bone to pick with Pokemon, and it’s over how the popular Nintendo video game treats its big-eyed virtual characters.

The animal rights group, which normally focuses on the abuse of dogs, cats and other animals in the real world, has crossed over into the virtual world to launch a protest against Nintendo’s newest Pokemon game, “Black and White 2.”

PETA, which stands for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, complains the characters in “Black and White 2,” all of whom are collectively called Pokemon, are abused by their “trainers.”

“The difference between real life and this fictional world full of organized animal fighting is that Pokémon games paint rosy pictures of things that are actually horrible,” PETA says on a website that promotes a parody video game, “Pokemon Black & Blue – Gotta Free ‘em All.”

PETA says Pokemon have suffered at the hands of their “cruel” trainers for generations. In its parody game, one of the Pokemon characters, Pikachu, battered with splotches of blood, bandaged and wearing a broken neck brace, rises up to confront one of the trainers, Cheren, who also appears blood-spattered and holding a bat, ready to beat down Pikachu’s defiance.

The player gets the option of allowing Pikachu to deliver a quick attack, a thunder shock, a group hug or protest. The player’s goal is to “exploit a trainer’s weakness and defeat all the trainers to free all Pokemon.”

According to CNET, Black and White 2 was released in July in Japan and is expected in North America, Europe, and Australia this month.

The Pokemon series – there are more than 600 fictional species – is second only to Nintendo’s Mario when it comes to global video game popularity.

CNET notes that this isn’t the first time PETA has launched attacks against virtual characters. It protested Nintendo’s “Super Mario 3D Land” game for dressing Mario in a fur suit and Zinga’s “Mafia Wars” game’s use of pit bulls as attack dogs.

http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black-and-white-parody/

I'm not sure whether this is a pathetic publicity stunt or PETA has really sunk that low.

Castle of Glass
October 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM
most likely a publicity stunt. like i am all for PETA, only when they have a real reason, like stopping people from test drugs on animals, but with things like this then i think it is stupid. i have a friend who has a shirt that says: PETA, people eating tasty animals. couple days ago he ran into real PETA members :P.

Jess
October 9th, 2012, 11:15 PM
most likely a publicity stunt. like i am all for PETA, only when they have a real reason, like stopping people from test drugs on animals, but with things like this then i think it is stupid. i have a friend who has a shirt that says: PETA, people eating tasty animals. couple days ago he ran into real PETA members :P.

Lol, I would love that shirt :D

But basically all you said. I support PETA, when they have a real/good reason, but THIS is just plain stupid, protesting over VIRTUAL things.

Mortal Coil
October 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM
This is pathetic. Does PETA really have to sink this low to gt publicity? Why don't they focus on more REAL things that are happening with animals?

Iron Man
October 9th, 2012, 11:36 PM
Seriously? It is a fucking video game.

FreeFall
October 9th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Holy crap I've got a personal bone to pick with PETA, literally. They've borderline harassed me throughout my life. They're the Regina George of my life, making me feel personally victimized and shit.
I can't stand the group and it's members that they need to keep in line better.

If it's a stunt, are you freakin kidding me?
If it's a legitimate stand, it's freaking PETA, there's nothing more to it, just nutso PETA.

Nevermind that Pokemon teaches you to be friends with your pokemon and have their back just like they have yours and happiness and sunshine together for all times and set them free to run with the Butterfree. You even evolve some pokemon with love. Love. Come on!

Castle of Glass
October 10th, 2012, 12:10 AM
Lol, I would love that shirt :D

But basically all you said. I support PETA, when they have a real/good reason, but THIS is just plain stupid, protesting over VIRTUAL things.

my thoughts on Sea Shepard are the same, when it is against japan and whaling i am cool with it and i support it, but when it is against one of the Faroe Island's only food supply i am against it.

Aves
October 10th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I played the game. I laughed hysterically at it. I seriously think PETA did it to troll everyone. I cannot take it seriously at all. It's obviously one sided that all humans are assholes. It's a very Thomas Hobbes way of making the humans out to be.

ArsenicCatNip
October 10th, 2012, 02:50 AM
They did the same thing with Super Mario 3D Land about the Tanooki suit then stated they had nothing against Nintendo or Mario(To make a parody of the game they had to say they had a problem with Nintendo). It's clearly all just publicity. I don't support PETA either because they do idiotic and ignorant things instead of focusing on important issues(like saving endangered species, and homeless animals, stuff that matters) Instead they just throw paint on people and spread lies.

TheMatrix
October 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Oh, please.
You all just got trolled.

Jupiter
October 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM
this is why we can't have nice things..

actually that didn't go. childhood= ruined.

nice
October 10th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Peta needs to stfu its a children's game and no harm comes from it so they need to sit their asses down.

Lyra Heartstrings
October 12th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Holy crap I've got a personal bone to pick with PETA, literally. They've borderline harassed me throughout my life. They're the Regina George of my life, making me feel personally victimized and shit.
I can't stand the group and it's members that they need to keep in line better.

If it's a stunt, are you freakin kidding me?
If it's a legitimate stand, it's freaking PETA, there's nothing more to it, just nutso PETA.

Nevermind that Pokemon teaches you to be friends with your pokemon and have their back just like they have yours and happiness and sunshine together for all times and set them free to run with the Butterfree. You even evolve some pokemon with love. Love. Come on!

The bolded made my day.
Oh, please.
You all just got trolled.

And Thomas said it perfectly. PETA is a huge troll.

Foamy
October 13th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Bullshit. It's a fuckin game.

MangoLoop
October 13th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I played the game. It's complete and utter crap!

Skyhawk
October 13th, 2012, 09:20 PM
I found the game very entertaining. I love the crazy shit PETA comes up with...I mean, where the hell do they come up with this shit?

Eliza Snark
October 15th, 2012, 06:49 AM
When I was a little kid, playing Pokemon on my gameboy actually made me care more about my pets. I always tried to avoid the other trains and tall grass as much as possible and I know I got teary at least once from losing. :(