PDA

View Full Version : Fears over latest Xbox gadget!

karl
October 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM
A new computer games controller that could be mistaken for a real gun is set for release early next year.
The Delta Six controller for video games like Call of Duty looks frighteningly similar to a genuine firearm, with its inventor claiming 'the only way to get more real is to enlist'.
Aimed at adult gamers, the device is intended to give players of First-Person Shooting (FPS) games a more immersive experience than has been possible so far.

See here for story and video clip: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2214609/The-games-controller-mistaken-real-gun--fears-latest-Xbox-addon.html#ixzz28jVXV5hk

Gigablue
October 8th, 2012, 02:33 PM
This belongs in VT daily chronicle

UnknownError
October 8th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Terrible idea tbh. I don't have anything against shooter games but when you give kids things like this then its how you end up with school shootings and stuff. And inb4 "18 hurr" i know 6 year olds that play COD and MW3.

green
October 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM
this cracked me up. And to the poster who said that this is the reason why we get school shootings, no this isnt the reason. The reasons are that kids are bullies, incompetant gun owners who dont know how to lock up a rifle and shitty school counselers. violent video games do not make someone kill people unless said person all ready has issues.

Mirage
October 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM
This is icky. Accelerometer's never really got to a point of accuracy that I would like. I'll stick to my PS3 controller, thanks.

inb4consolewars

ArsenicCatNip
October 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Terrible idea tbh. I don't have anything against shooter games but when you give kids things like this then its how you end up with school shootings and stuff. And inb4 "18 hurr" i know 6 year olds that play COD and MW3.

There's been studies that have shown violent video games have nothing to do with school shootings...

UnknownError
October 9th, 2012, 10:19 AM
There's been studies that have shown violent video games have nothing to do with school shootings...

there's a difference between violent video games and giving kids replica guns.

Mortal Coil
October 9th, 2012, 10:39 AM

I have to say I'm with Con on this one. When kids associate holding a replica gun and using it to shoot characters - even if they aren't real people - with them, they grow up to crave the same feeling as they got when they played XBOX. The result? Shootings.
Of course, this rarely happens in mentally stable people, but I just wanted to point out the validity in Connor's statement.

UnknownError
October 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah obviously I didn't mean everyone is going to go out and start shooting people but those with some kind of problems could easily become mislead(?) or inspired, although that would be a small percent at that.

ArsenicCatNip
October 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM

Not necessarily there are arcade games that have models like House of the Dead and I believe Rainbow Six that both use replicas and have for a very long time, and it still never simulates actually shooting a gun(by that I mean the actual feeling like the kickback, the noise, etc) or gives kids the interest to do so.

Wayne92
October 9th, 2012, 04:15 PM
On a technological standpoint, I think its going to be a flop. It reminds me of the mock guns you use in Arcade shooters like Time Crisis or Silent Scope. I seriously doubt it will win over gamers who are use to a standard controller. If they were to make a customizable controller like the gaming mice are, then you will have my attention.
On a moral standpoint, this will give the gaming community a lot of flak. The issues of under-aged children playing games like COD or GOW is already a problem and the gamers are getting the blame when really parents need to step up and actually be responsible for their kids. Even if a kid is mentally ill enough to shoot up a building, a responsible parent should be able to notice the unusual behavior, get them help and of course not expose them to violent material and have weapons easily accessible.

Zenos
October 9th, 2012, 06:11 PM
The problem is not a replica gun it's parents not teaching their children responsibility including responibility about guns.

I can use any gun in my house my dad dosen't them up,but then he taught me how to use them responsibly,and took me hunting and thus i know once you squeeze that trigger what you kill won't comeback to life.

If more kids actually hunted with a gun and had the fuirst had experience of knowing what they kill won't comeback unlike in some videogame,then I feel these shootings would be far less likely to happen.

MattsyPad
October 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'd rather play with my controller, I'd get an advantage over all of the hardcore FPS kids using their little gun.

Sir Suomi
October 9th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I've seen similar things around the interent. Even saw a video of a machine where the player is put in a small room outfitted with a screen that rotates when the player moves, rollers on the floor, so when the player moves, the person in the game moves, a remote gun that is very similar to this, and with paintball guns, strobes, subwiffers to make it basically put the player in the game. Impressive technology.

Aves
October 10th, 2012, 01:39 AM
I love how relaxed the rules have gotten. The gun from Duck Hunt, which looks nothing like a real gun, had to have an orange barrel in America so it wouldn't get mistaken for a real gun. But now it's okay to make a realistic looking gun for a game where you shoot people? I can now understand the "violent video games" argument some older people give. Do I think this will turn kids into killers? No. Do I think it's a bit ridiculous that this is allowed? Yes.

ArsenicCatNip
October 10th, 2012, 03:09 AM
I love how relaxed the rules have gotten. The gun from Duck Hunt, which looks nothing like a real gun, had to have an orange barrel in America so it wouldn't get mistaken for a real gun. But now it's okay to make a realistic looking gun for a game where you shoot people? I can now understand the "violent video games" argument some older people give. Do I think this will turn kids into killers? No. Do I think it's a bit ridiculous that this is allowed? Yes.

You do know they changed the design of the gun from the NES because it looked too much like a real gun right?

Aves
October 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
You do know they changed the design of the gun from the NES because it looked too much like a real gun right?

It looks nothing like a real gun. And I established that in the first sentence of my post.

Straight
October 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
their advert looks crap....

MisterSix
October 11th, 2012, 03:41 PM
How do you move around or do you just play time crisis all day?
I think you are totally right. The number of school shootings in the world will sky rocket because of this./sarcasm
Why do you think the kids will go straight to school shootings? I thought the next logical step, if they were interested in things like that, would be airsoft and/or paintball.

I would have thought airsoft would have been the major 'creator' of school shooters. You're shooting real people with real looking guns

ArsenicCatNip
October 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
How do you move around or do you just play time crisis all day?
I think you are totally right. The number of school shootings in the world will sky rocket because of this./sarcasm
Why do you think the kids will go straight to school shootings? I thought the next logical step, if they were interested in things like that, would be airsoft and/or paintball.

I would have thought airsoft would have been the major 'creator' of school shooters. You're shooting real people with real looking guns

Exactly, I think people are forgetting video games are just a hobby for entertainment, not a murder simulator. I have never met a person who played strictly fighting games that felt like beating the shit out of others, just as I've never met a person who bought an FPS then shortly after felt the need to buy a gun.

Avenged
October 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
Haha people take CoD too seriously.