PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to the "No Suicide Note" rule?

Fiction
October 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I've seen alot of "I'm ending it tomorrow" and so on posts. It's been a long standing rule that that type of thing isn't allowed... but it doesn't seem to get enforced anymore...

I just think it should be.

Breakeven
October 4th, 2012, 02:05 PM
i agree with kathy on this ^
there should be rule about that!

Fiction
October 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
There is a rule :p There always has been. It's just not enforced anymore :p

ImCoolBeans
October 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM
It is in fact a rule and recently it does seem to be slipping by a bit more. We're going to make sure that it doesn't continue to happen.

Breakeven
October 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM
There is a rule :p There always has been. It's just not enforced anymore :p
awww D:

Fiction
October 4th, 2012, 02:45 PM
It is in fact a rule and recently it does seem to be slipping by a bit more. We're going to make sure that it doesn't continue to happen.

Thank you Mike :)

Jupiter
October 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
But why is that a rule? I don't mind it, but why?

Fiction
October 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Because saying "i'm going to kill myself" is helpful to no one. It's not helpful to other users who also have things to deal with themselves, and it's not a post that's asking for help either.

Saying "i'm suicidal and worried i'm going to do something, please help" is NOT against the rules. But saying "I will kill myself tomorrow", isn't helpful to anyone, and is.

Jupiter
October 4th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Because saying "i'm going to kill myself" is helpful to no one. It's not helpful to other users who also have things to deal with themselves, and it's not a post that's asking for help either.

Saying "i'm suicidal and worried i'm going to do something, please help" is NOT against the rules. But saying "I will kill myself tomorrow", isn't helpful to anyone, and is.

OOOOh.

I see. Thanks Kathy.

Lost in the Echo
October 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Yeah I don't like seeing threads like that either. At the top of the "Cutting and Self-harm forum" there is now an announcement that suicide threats are not allowed.

StoppingTime
October 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yeah I don't like seeing threads like that either. At the top of the "Cutting and Self-harm forum" there is now an announcement that suicide threats are not allowed.

It's been posted in the whole Psych Ward, as a reminder.

Sheriff McGregor
October 4th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I think that it should not be a rule. If they don't tell us, how are we supposed to try and talk them out of it. It saves lives that way.

ImCoolBeans
October 4th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I think that it should not be a rule. If they don't tell us, how are we supposed to try and talk them out of it. It saves lives that way.

And can send others into a dangerous, triggering state of mind. When somebody comes to seek help and they stumble upon a bunch of suicide notes do you really think that is helpful to them? There is a fine line between posting a suicide note and posting a thread explaining that you are suicidal and in need of help. Posting a thread that says "I am killing myself tonight, bye." is not helpful to other users and can actually be counterproductive by triggering other people.

This is not a new rule by any means, it is just being carried out a little more strictly now.

Sheriff McGregor
October 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
And can send others into a dangerous, triggering state of mind. When somebody comes to seek help and they stumble upon a bunch of suicide notes do you really think that is helpful to them? There is a fine line between posting a suicide note and posting a thread explaining that you are suicidal and in need of help. Posting a thread that says "I am killing myself tonight, bye." is not helpful to other users and can actually be counterproductive by triggering other people.

This is not a new rule by any means, it is just being carried out a little more strictly now.

Thanks for explaining it a little better. I stand corrected.:D

DerBear
October 5th, 2012, 07:41 PM

To be fair we do give advice to those people who sorta leave those notes and I would like to think it helps considering they sign on the next day. Sometimes people just need to get it off there chests and we help them.

Also we could just simply write "triggering" in the title or a mod could do it. And then if someone clicks on it then they know they are entering something possibly triggering.

I dunno with our main aim to help, we could post something that might make them change their mind...

ImCoolBeans
October 5th, 2012, 07:59 PM
To be fair we do give advice to those people who sorta leave those notes and I would like to think it helps considering they sign on the next day. Sometimes people just need to get it off there chests and we help them.

Also we could just simply write "triggering" in the title or a mod could do it. And then if someone clicks on it then they know they are entering something possibly triggering.

I dunno with our main aim to help, we could post something that might make them change their mind...

Nothing is stopping a user from posting a thread stating that they are having suicidal thoughts. There is a line between leaving a note behind in your wake and talking about suicidal thoughts or tendencies. The entire psych ward section of the site can be seen as triggering; but in my experience on the site when somebody leaves a note and doesn't actually return it's above and beyond any content in those sections. This rule was deemed a good idea a year or so ago and I have to say I do agree with it.

ArsenicCatNip
October 8th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Adding onto all that I don't believe a statement like "I'm killing myself bye" is very sincere. If they instead ask for help on why they're feeling suicidal and what to do then that at least gives others the opportunity to help

Mikedamaniak
October 17th, 2012, 07:11 PM
This rule is very hard to enforce and probably won't work. You see, If there's a pretty good chance that the poster is going to be dead in the next few days, and they're almost completely sure of it, there's no way there gonna give a damn about being banned

ImCoolBeans
October 17th, 2012, 07:21 PM
This rule is very hard to enforce and probably won't work. You see, If there's a pretty good chance that the poster is going to be dead in the next few days, and they're almost completely sure of it, there's no way there gonna give a damn about being banned

Where did anybody say banned anywhere in this thread? You're a bit off there :P

Mikedamaniak
October 25th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Where did anybody say banned anywhere in this thread? You're a bit off there :P
I mean banned for breaking the no suicide note rule

StoppingTime
October 25th, 2012, 08:12 PM

We don't ban people, unless they're soliciting other members, because of one individual action. Ever.

ImCoolBeans
October 25th, 2012, 09:12 PM

Nobody every said that somebody would be banned for this.