PDA

View Full Version : A Club?

aprilshowers
September 18th, 2012, 05:10 PM
So, I've been thinking a lot about how people don't really know anything about mental diseases and how irritating it is that telling my parents that I think I might be schizophrenic was the most terrifying thing I ever did, and I came to the conclusion that this situation sucks. Mental disorders are so taboo that people no nothing about them. For example, my dad thought that being schizo meant having multiple personalities. ARGH! So, I was wondering what you guys thought of a club that would focus on eliminating ignorance of mental disorders. You know, like people could go speak at the middle schools or something and explain what the different disorders are.
So, that's that. Tell me what you think, and be honest. If you think I'm being an idiot and that no one would join and it would never work, please tell me.
And if you have any ideas for a name for said club...

BrainDamage
October 21st, 2012, 07:19 AM
That we be really cool, I say go!

Mortal Coil
October 21st, 2012, 08:12 AM
It sounds like a great idea! But I can't think of a name unless it's something like... PEPP (People to End Prejudice against Psychosis...)

Breakeven
October 21st, 2012, 08:53 AM
its a nice idea, i say go for it :D

XxAlonexX
October 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM
I agree, but people will be prejudiced and stereotype no matter what you do. You may be able to help alot of people understand better but people will always have their own opinions regardless. Especially the older generation. But those few people you affect could be the difference of life or death for another

Carbarrawr
October 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
I think... that sounds awesome! I would soooooooo join that. I mean, I'm sure people like me who are pretty much obsessed with mental disorders (hence why I'm planning to go into neurology xD) I'm sure would all love to participate in something like that XD I also think it's good for the people you and/or other people might be speaking to. It would definitely make them more aware and able to help others who have difficulties, and maybe not be close-minded, ignorant, and (word for someone who automatically assumes something about a situation?) about the disorders and/or diseases. I think it's a GREAT idea, and you should try your best to get it going! You could really change many people's lives, and who knows, your idea may even grow and grow until, just like anti-smoking/drugs/drinking speeches, it's a common thing for speakers to come into schools and explain things.