PDA

View Full Version : Derealism

aprilshowers
September 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Does anyone else have times where they think that everything isn't real? Like when you're asleep and you know you're dreaming? It's happening to me more and more frequently, and it really freaks me out.

painful paradice
September 10th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I have thoughts all the time like I'm in some fake world created by people on the outside, or it's a surreal dream, or maybe I'm just out of my mind and everything I see and hear is an illusion and I'm just sitting in a mental asylum somewhere tied up out of my mind with no hope. I've always had derealistic moments though. I usually take a walk out of my head and just kind of explore a day dream like place that is completely fake but takes over my five senses and no matter how much I try to push myself out it's no use, not for several minutes anyways.

redknight
September 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM
that do that too sometimes, when im bored or just u know lol

Carbarrawr
October 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Funny I found your thread right now, I'm experiencing that right now. My world seems unreal like a dream, and my delusion seems more real than what is actually weird (:/). Also, I'm very confused. I also feel like the world and/or my house is going to blow up or something, I don't know why.

SchizLife
November 18th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah, aprilshowers, as a matter of fact, I have TRIED to make that happen and succeeded a couple of times. It's called Lucid Dreaming. If you get good at it, you can control your dreams and go on wonderful adventures and fly and all that. It is unnerving at first. I've only managed to do it twice. Pretty interesting phenomenon of our mind for sure.

BrainDamage
November 19th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah, aprilshowers, as a matter of fact, I have TRIED to make that happen and succeeded a couple of times. It's called Lucid Dreaming. If you get good at it, you can control your dreams and go on wonderful adventures and fly and all that. It is unnerving at first. I've only managed to do it twice. Pretty interesting phenomenon of our mind for sure.

Were not talking about lucid dreaming we're talking about not being able to tell the difference between a dream and real life... Meaning if its a dream you think its real of your awake you think everything is fake and your dreaming... Lucid Dreaming is nothing like that, lucid dreaming is if you controll your dream and do everything you want to in it...

SchizLife
November 19th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Were not talking about lucid dreaming we're talking about not being able to tell the difference between a dream and real life... Meaning if its a dream you think its real of your awake you think everything is fake and your dreaming... Lucid Dreaming is nothing like that, lucid dreaming is if you controll your dream and do everything you want to in it...

Well, I responded directly to aprilshowers.

I am aware of derealism, often coupled with depersonalization. I've experienced both and they were among the most disturbing and frightening experiences. I think idealogically they show the truth of the matter, that philosophically we don't know really the difference between sleeping and waking. Consciousness is too complex!

Which I'm sure inspired the wonderful children's song

"Row row row your boat (live your life), gently down the stream... (of time)"
"Merrily merrily merrily merrily, life is but a dream!"

vjaurleila
July 31st, 2013, 02:47 PM
i have exactly what you're talking about, due to my depersonalization. derealization and depersonalization go together and make you really disconnected from everything. i myself don't really understand how i think. sometimes it seems like my thoughts are telling me what to do. i hope you all find the help you are looking for, because depersonalization and derealization are both defensive, which means your brain made a wall around itself in order to stop being hurt by things around you. you can't connect to people or your environment? you can't get hurt when they hurt you. but it's a flawed system. go to therapy and find the help you all need

Harley Quinn
July 31st, 2013, 02:49 PM
Please don't bump old threads. :locked: