PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Mod.

Heavyrain4life
August 9th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I was wondering, How does one go about becoming a Mod? It seems like you have to be here a long time, or something like that.

Jay_Team_Swagg
August 9th, 2012, 01:14 AM
Well if the current staff noticing an increase in activity or something about you that seems promising, they might ask you if you want to be a mod. Another way is when there is a job opening, send in an application. Also, I was told by a mod that a good way to become a mod is not to expect it ;)

Heavyrain4life
August 9th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Well if the current staff noticing an increase in activity or something about you that seems promising, they might ask you if you want to be a mod. Another way is when there is a job opening, send in an application. Also, I was told by a mod that a good way to become a mod is not to expect it ;)

Thanks. And i honestly dont want to be a Mod. The thought just crossed my mind.

Cognizant
August 9th, 2012, 01:38 AM

Actually, if you check out the 'Job Openings forum (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)', you'll find applications. They rarely just give you the position randomly

Heavyrain4life
August 9th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Actually, if you check out the 'Job Openings forum (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)', you'll find applications. They rarely just give you the position randomly

Ah. I wouldn't have checked there, as im not seeking a job (at the moment). Thanks!

Rayquaza
August 9th, 2012, 05:30 AM
This is the answer given on the FAQ: (http://www.virtualteen.org/forums/faq.php?faq=rules#faq_staff)
Do not ask to be a staff member. Asking does not improve your chances of becoming one. Staff members are chosen by behavior, demonstrated maturity and trustworthiness, and knowledge pertaining to a particular forum and its subject. Openings may be posted, or an administrator may privately seek a potential candidate.

Foamy
August 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM
In the applications it says that you had to be here for a couple months and have at least 100? Posts.

In order to apply for this position you must have been a member for at least 3 months and have above 100 posts.

xXl0sth0peXx
August 9th, 2012, 11:40 AM

Eh, I'll disagree with this actually. I know for a fact I was chosen 'randomly' and I know that the past few mods (5 at least) were chosen were too, as shown by the fact that there's not really threads in the job openings forum. So never say rarely.

In the applications it says that you had to be here for a couple months and have at least 100? Posts.

Yup, basically this. 3 months and 100 posts at least.

ImCoolBeans
August 9th, 2012, 12:24 PM

I'm fairly sure that Ronnie and I are the only two current staff members chosen through the application process actually. So that isn't necessarily true.

Jupiter
August 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I'm fairly sure that Ronnie and I are the only two current staff members chosen through the application process actually. So that isn't necessarily true.

I think Lexi was chosen by applications.

Cognizant
August 9th, 2012, 02:28 PM

That's odd. If so many people are just chosen randomly, why have the apps?

Erasmus
August 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM

yeah, good point!

ImCoolBeans
August 9th, 2012, 02:31 PM

Well I wouldn't call it random at all, a lot of thought and watching goes into choosing a moderator, especially without applications. Applications can be helpful because members who might not be considered or noticed as much without them are brought forward and the senior staff can look into more people than they would probably be able to otherwise.

Cognizant
August 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Well I wouldn't call it random at all, a lot of thought and watching goes into choosing a moderator, especially without applications. Applications can be helpful because members who might not be considered or noticed as much without them are brought forward and the senior staff can look into more people than they would probably be able to otherwise.

Well yeah, but as you said, only a few staff members filled out the applications and got it for that reason. If a overwhelming majority of staff members were chosen because of their qualities and did NOT fill out the app, I don't really see a huge point to having them.
/rant

DerBear
August 9th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Well yeah, but as you said, only a few staff members filled out the applications and got it for that reason. If a overwhelming majority of staff members were chosen because of their qualities and did NOT fill out the app, I don't really see a huge point to having them.
/rant

What is the harm in having them?

ImCoolBeans
August 9th, 2012, 04:37 PM
/rant

As I said, current staff members. That doesn't mean that we're the only three. There have been many past members who have come on through applications too. In the last year applications have been put out three times and 3 mods have been hired through them.

We use applications as we see fit. If there is a totally obvious choice or it's a unanimous decision to hire somebody, then applications aren't really necessary. However, if we need to hire somebody and there are a few names out there, it isn't a clear cut decision or it's not unanimous then we may turn to applications to see who is interested, who else may be qualified and to see if we may have overlooked anybody as a possible option.

Applications definitely have their place and can be extremely helpful to the senior staff while hiring new moderators. So there is a pretty big point in having them.

Cognizant
August 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I'm not saying there's any harm in the applications, I'm just saying it's silly that we just hire someone without an application just because they post a lot in said section, or what have you. I don't have any problems with them being there, but I think if we transitioned to one method, such as hire everyone on applications, it would be more...fair to those who really want the position and fill out an app than random joe who was given the position without filling out an app. Imo, it levels out the playing field for everyone. I think either do all apps, or do all choosing based on what the senior staff 'sees' in that person.

I've derailed this thread enough, if you want to PM me why i'm saying what I'm saying, go right ahead :)

IAMWILL
August 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM
About the application thing, it goes in phases.
When I first became a Mod 3 years ago two other people and I were selected through applications at the same time, and the only person I remember being chosen was Rex (Enbelism). Second time I modded was through application as well. Now though it seems more Mods are personally selected by staff.

Deleted User
August 9th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm not saying there's any harm in the applications, I'm just saying it's silly that we just hire someone without an application just because they post a lot in said section, or what have you. I don't have any problems with them being there, but I think if we transitioned to one method, such as hire everyone on applications, it would be more...fair to those who really want the position and fill out an app than random joe who was given the position without filling out an app. Imo, it levels out the playing field for everyone. I think either do all apps, or do all choosing based on what the senior staff 'sees' in that person.

I've derailed this thread enough, if you want to PM me why i'm saying what I'm saying, go right ahead :)

It's not entirely random though. Not to mention, the applications are also useful in keeping old applications for later notice. Lexi and I both applied for the same position when she was modded. I was later asked to be a mod but I had filled out an application at least six months before. You don't really know who has filled out an application and who hasn't.

I can't quite see how it's unfair now. It's not as if people are just chosen because they can be. Posting a lot in the section is not the sole reason someone is chosen. As for someone really wanting the position, if they fill out an application when it's necessary, great. If not, it's not like the person asked to be a mod doesn't want to be one otherwise we'd turn down the offer.

ImCoolBeans
August 9th, 2012, 09:04 PM
The OP seems to have received their answer and now this thread is a conversation unrelated to the actual questions that was asked. :locked: