PDA

View Full Version : London 2012

karl
July 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Here we go!

Here we go! Crowds line Thames as Jubilee barge carries Olympic torch on last leg of 8,000-mile tour that has shown Britain at its best
Olympic flame
The torch began its final leg in London at 6.55am at Bushey Park and was carried through Hampton Court Palace
It was then carried on to the royal barge Gloriana by Olympic gold-medal winning rower Matthew Pinsent
Olympians young and old are now taking it in turns to row the flame downstream to Tower Bridge
A mini flotilla of 50 boats is accompanying the flame as it makes the final leg of its epic 8,000 mile journey
It will be carried into the Stratford stadium in east London this evening and lit by a mystery VIP

The Olympic torch began the final leg of its epic 8,000 mile journey to the Olympic Stadium this morning sailing triumphantly along the River Thames on board the Queen's majestic Jubilee barge.
The torch boarded the rowbarge Gloriana for its journey to London's iconic Tower Bridge, ahead of its final appearance at the Stratford stadium this evening where the flame will be lit by a mystery VIP at the hotly anticipated Opening Ceremony.
Thousands of people lined the river bank to watch the historic moment and catch a glimpse of the famous flame which has snaked its way through the UK and been seen by millions of excited fans over the past 70 days.

See link for full story and fabulous photos

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179690/London-2012-Olympics-opening-ceremony-countdown-begins-torch-takes-Thames-Gloriana.html#ixzz21oqpcxzH

Mayon
July 27th, 2012, 06:02 AM
And we have already made mistakes. Things are not looking great for us :D

Mortal Coil
July 27th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Watched footage of this while running today. Great motivation, I can't wait for the actual competition to really begin.

Conner Davies
July 27th, 2012, 01:52 PM
every1 in my family thinks (including me) (cba spelling) theres gonna be a bomb because of middle east and what..
a) have done to us
b) what we have done to them

Gordo
July 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
And we have already made mistakes. Things are not looking great for us :D

Oh relax. Just go with the flow. Read an article on espn today about the doom fans of UK sports feel. Trust me, all openings are flawed, it's now big deal.

Maybe you or someone here can help me with something. I want the London/BBC experience of the Olympics, NOT NBCs "produced" version every evening. I went to the BBC website on my Ipad and at every turn, it forced me over to select Comcast or "could not connect".

Anyway, as I'm writing this, instead of showing the opening, NBC-USA is showing an interview with Michael Phelps. Basically, if it isn't USA focused, we don't see it! Worse, is that I had to watch 3 minutes of commercials to see them ask Phelps if he thinks he's the greatest Olympian ever.

1. IDC
2. the question and answer took 1 minute
3. Then we got treated to another 6 commercials.

Now we are being treated to Bob Costas commenting on the parade of athletes. I'd much rather hear what the English or BBC has to say.

Iron Man
July 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Rowan Atkinson in the London Symphony Orchestra!!

http://chocolatesyrupywaffles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/IF-you-know-what-i-mean.png

karl
July 28th, 2012, 02:46 AM
Here are some great photos

Britain fires up the world: London gets the 2012 Games under way with the Greatest Show On Earth (rounded off by Macca, of course)
Sir Steve Redgrave carries the Olympic torch into the Stadium, after David Beckham accompanied it into Stratford on a speedboat
Seven young athletes then light the cauldron
Breathtaking firework display lights up the sky above east London
Sir Paul McCartney brings the show to a close, singing Beatles classic Hey Jude
Queen makes spectacular appearance in simulated helicopter arrival with James Bond star Daniel Craig
Monarch tells the world: 'I declare open the Games of London, celebrating the 30th Olympiad of the modern era'
Muhammad Ali is among flagbearers who carried the Olympic Flag into the Stadium
Tour de France champion Bradley Wiggins started the Opening Ceremony by ringing the giant Olympic Bell
Rowan Atkinson joins the orchestra as Mr Bean for a comedy skit
Sir Kenneth Branagh reads from Shakespeare's The Tempest
Dizzee Rascal and Emeli Sande perform
The audience have been handed 3D glasses and every seat has a magic wand with it
Red Arrows fly past the stadium leaving trail of red, white and blue vapour at 20:12 exactly
Danny Boyle tweets 'Proud to be British'
By RICK DEWSBURY and IAN GARLAND
PUBLISHED: 16:36 GMT, 27 July 2012 | UPDATED: 01:17 GMT, 28 July 2012
Comments (1261)

We all wondered who would light the torch - and in the end the organisers sprang a surprise as seven teenage athletes lit copper petals - brought in by each of the 204 countries - which converged in spectacular fashion to form the cauldron in the middle of the Olympic Stadium.
Outside the fireworks were equally impressive and could be seen for miles.
Sir Steve Redgrave, five-time gold medallist was the champion chosen to conclude the torch's 8,000-mile journey round Britain, but there was no doubting the night's biggest star, local boy David Beckham, who transported the flame by speedboat under Tower Bridge to the stadium.
It was the coolest moment of an amazing show and an estimated television audience of one billion tuned in worldwide to witness what had been billed as the Greatest Show on Earth

See link for full story and great photos

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179920/Olympics-Opening-Ceremony-London-gets-2012-Games-way-Greatest-Show-On-Earth-rounded-Macca-course.html#ixzz21tw1CsaJ

Donkey
July 28th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Much more character and culture than Beijing. I thought it was really well put on and I feel very patriotic after watching it, Danny Boyle did a top job along with all the volunteers and the fantastic BBC coverage. I watched it in my local pub and yeah. Good to be a Brit!

Deleted User
July 28th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Much more character and culture than Beijing. I thought it was really well put on and I feel very patriotic after watching it, Danny Boyle did a top job along with all the volunteers and the fantastic BBC coverage. I watched it in my local pub and yeah. Good to be a Brit!

Louise was actually telling me how cultural it was and how she wasn't sure if other countries would understand it as much but I found that it was excellent. That being said, being part of the Commonwealth, there was a lot in there that we can appreciate. Either way, it was a great show and you guys should be proud. I talked to a lot of Brits who were going on and on about how it wasn't going to be Beijing, wasn't going to go well, etc and I just think they're all nuts.

Conner Davies
July 28th, 2012, 08:52 AM
It was cool at the start with the industrial Revolution but it got all mixed in my mind it wasn't a representation of British history towards the end

Jess
July 28th, 2012, 09:19 AM
to be honest I thought it was okay....but Beijing's was WAY better and cooler. then again, I'm not a Brit. I'm Chinese.

ImCoolBeans
July 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I thought it was fantastic. I watched it from start to finish and didn't feel bored at all during it and I didn't want to stop watching at any time. I thought it was really well put together and you can tell that a ton of hard work and effort was put into every part of it. Danny Boyle did a great job, he was clearly the man for it.

Empty Spaces
July 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It was absolutely amazing. Arctic Monkeys, Paul McCartney <3

Ambrosia
July 28th, 2012, 01:11 PM
The opening ceremony was way too much, everything was very crowded together and you couldn't keep up with what was going on. It was so bad that the broadcasters were having to EXPLAIN everything in great detail because it was so jumbled!

But I did love the Queen skydiving. Lol

UnknownError
July 28th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I liked it alot, wish there was something doctor who related though, that's one of the best things on British tv!

Only bit I didn't get was the African/Indian dance thing but I wasn't full paying attention anyway.

FullyAlive
July 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I loved it, I thought it was really cultural and actually very british. It seemed like it had such a good atmosphere and I was very proud to be british afterwards. The only bit I didn't like so much was the younger people lighting the torch I kind of wanted an icon to do it, but I guess its showing the message they keep reiterating that the olympics is for the younger generation to encourage them etc. Although i'm really quite patriotic anyway I guess loved the jubilee stuff too so I probably would have liked whatever.

Haufen
July 29th, 2012, 06:26 PM
The Dutch outfits were fucking atrocious:

http://www.deondernemer.nl/UserFiles/image/2012/201207/20120727/londen2012.london2012.nederland.vlaggendrager.dorian.openingsceremonie.425.jpg

Those orange trousers...

Sol90
July 29th, 2012, 07:35 PM
I know. Come on us.

Liam_Johnson
July 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Team gb <3

Christine.
July 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I thought it was great. First time I watched the whole thing

level_up
August 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I think the opening ceremony was pretty good, but it was pretty funny because on the info guide on my TV it said that it was going to involve "a hill, animals and metalworkers" and so we were all geared up for something lame XD But yea I got the feeling that GB just did it's own thing, didn't try to go overboard to 'beat out' China so it ended up being pretty good.

HowlingSnail
August 12th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Well the closing ceremony isn't as good as the opening, but it's still good. And for those of you who didn't understand the Only Fools and Horses reference, here's what it was referring to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nMVWAVrVAw