PDA

View Full Version : Bipolar?

Twilly F. Sniper
July 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM
My life is like a rollercoaster. Ups and Downs ruining my life. I have tried to commit suicide four times by strangulation. Life instinct got the better of me. When I get into an argument it often turns into a fight. What else is there to say? I looked it up and thought I matched the description of a bipolar's mind. Too boot I'm extremely socially awkward. Am I bipolar/not? Maybe need more details?

StoppingTime
July 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
Just because you, or anyone, shows symptoms, doesn't mean they have said illness.
For example, if someone is very interested in a topic, (i.e. knows just about everything to know about it) and only has one or two friends, they could match the symptoms of someone who has Aspergers syndrome. However, this doesn't mean that they have it.
What I'm saying is that symptoms don't really mean everything. How often do you feel these "ups and downs?" Monthly, weekly? If it is more common, it is most likely because you're just an average teenager going through puberty. As crazy as it sounds, it can make you do things like that.
As for social awkwardness, that could be a symptom of a whole host of illnesses/diseases, or, it could be a symtom of just being you. What I mean is, maybe that's just the kind of person you are. I too am quite socially awkward. Even holding a conversation with someone I don't know too well can be a problem for me sometimes. That doesn't mean that it is bipolar, or anything else though.
---
The suicidal thoughts and actions is what worries me the most, though. Have you ever been able to speak to someone about that? A counselor, adult, friend, anything?

Of course, nobody here are doctors. If you feel like it really may be a mental illness, and it is affecting your day to day life severely, then I'd see a doctor. It can remain confidential, if you'd like, even.
Good luck, and if there are any more details you feel comfortable sharing, don't hesitate.

bigfoot
July 22nd, 2012, 04:38 PM
yeah dude i though i was bipolar for a while... i think i just have a wierd personallity

trip15
July 22nd, 2012, 05:22 PM
see your doctor/therapist about it. Im bipolar and on medication for it and its amazing how much modern meds can help if you find the right ones

December
July 22nd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Without seeing someone to confirm your suspicions, it is impossible to say whether or not you are bipolar. My neighbor is a pediatric psychologist, and she is quite fond of saying, "the symptoms don't make the disease, but the disease makes the symptoms". I.e., just because you are showing some symptoms of bipolar disorder doesn't mean you have it, and conversely, if you have it, you will likely show some of the symptoms (and possibly a whole array of other symptoms as well). Similarly, just because you have a cough doesn't mean you have contracted the flu.

The only way to get a straight answer is to consult with a professional. I am bipolar but not on meds or anything, and most of the time its okay. So if it turns out that you are, don't think that it is the end of the world or what not. And bipolar or not, as others have said, the fact that you have considered suicide more than once is likely the most pressing of matters here. Have you ever talked to anyone about that? Doctor-patient confidentiality is a law, and if your listed age is correct at 18 this is even more true because your parents couldn't legally find out about anything that you ask your doctor, to my understanding (if you are worried about keeping all this on the down low). Either way, I suggest talking to a professional if what your experiencing is severely impacting your life, if you have questions, and because of what you said about suicide and all.

Twilly F. Sniper
June 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM
But an update, a long time after this last post (I know I should not be bumping my own thread like this, but) I was self-diagnosed with cyclothymia. When I looked it up, it matched entirely.

Deleted User
June 13th, 2013, 06:45 PM
But an update, a long time after this last post (I know I should not be bumping my own thread like this, but) I was self-diagnosed with cyclothymia. When I looked it up, it matched entirely.

Do not self-diagnose! You are not a licensed medical professional and just because you may have read something on the internet, does not mean you have it. The thing about any illness is that many have symptoms in common. And another thing is when you read something and self-diagnose, in some cases people start presenting the symptoms they think they should have and they're not necessarily real, it's just psychosomatic.

You are not trained to look at all of these symptoms from a neutral perspective and be able to objectively see what the problem is. For example: I can read the diagnostic criteria for cyclothymia and I fit every single one except that I do not have it -- I have something else which does share similar characteristics and symptoms. But what I have involves symptoms that I myself cannot see in myself but others can. So I could self-diagnose incorrectly simply by missing a huge part of my real diagnosis I'm not capable of seeing myself.

If you really want a proper answer, you need to seek professional help. You are 15 years old and I know you don't want to hear this but social awkwardness and mood swings can be the results of constantly changing relationships and hormones. Trying to commit suicide is not normal though, yes, but self-diagnosis is not going to help you. Say you go to a professional for help and say you self-diagnosed? They'll take your concerns into consideration but want to start from the beginning to see for themselves and give you an accurate answer... and it actually makes it a lot harder to help you if you've convinced yourself you have something that only may or may not be the case.

Twilly F. Sniper
June 13th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Do not self-diagnose! You are not a licensed medical professional and just because you may have read something on the internet, does not mean you have it. The thing about any illness is that many have symptoms in common. And another thing is when you read something and self-diagnose, in some cases people start presenting the symptoms they think they should have and they're not necessarily real, it's just psychosomatic.

You are not trained to look at all of these symptoms from a neutral perspective and be able to objectively see what the problem is. For example: I can read the diagnostic criteria for cyclothymia and I fit every single one except that I do not have it -- I have something else which does share similar characteristics and symptoms. But what I have involves symptoms that I myself cannot see in myself but others can. So I could self-diagnose incorrectly simply by missing a huge part of my real diagnosis I'm not capable of seeing myself.

If you really want a proper answer, you need to seek professional help. You are 15 years old and I know you don't want to hear this but social awkwardness and mood swings can be the results of constantly changing relationships and hormones. Trying to commit suicide is not normal though, yes, but self-diagnosis is not going to help you. Besides, say you go to a professional for help and say you self-diagnosed? They'll immediately dismiss that and start from the very beginning and it actually makes it a lot harder to help you if you've convinced yourself you have something that only may or may not be the case.

I understand that, but I know that I really don't know exactly what I have, it's just an assumpion based on symptoms and severity. But, it has a chance of correctness.

Deleted User
June 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I understand that, but I know that I really don't know exactly what I have, it's just an assumpion based on symptoms and severity. But, it has a chance of correctness.

Seeing a doctor about it is really your best bet rather than coming here and telling us you self-diagnosed. Any one of us will tell you to speak to a professional 'cause we can't really confirm nor deny your assumptions. Still, it's not particularly healthy either to make these assumptions because, like I said, you risk unconsciously acting on symptoms you only believe you have. I mean, if they're real then it's gonna happen anyway, but you don't want to make things worse for yourself either.

Twilly F. Sniper
June 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Seeing a doctor about it is really your best bet rather than coming here and telling us you self-diagnosed. Any one of us will tell you to speak to a professional 'cause we can't really confirm nor deny your assumptions. Still, it's not particularly healthy either to make these assumptions because, like I said, you risk unconsciously acting on symptoms you only believe you have. I mean, if they're real then it's gonna happen anyway, but you don't want to make things worse for yourself either.

It would be, but when your family is pretty much broke and can't really afford a doctor, I guess at least having somewhat of a hypothesis can be good

Shae4556
October 21st, 2013, 11:21 PM
I agree.

Its Pretty
October 21st, 2013, 11:56 PM
I have the same opinion as the above poster does.

DerBear
October 22nd, 2013, 01:03 AM
This thread was bumped :locked: