PDA

View Full Version : Internet blackout looms for thousands: What you need to know

karl
July 5th, 2012, 12:17 PM
If you have a virus on your machine, there is a very real risk you will get kicked off the internet on Monday.
Web-users are being warned to ensure their computers are clear of the nasty 'Alureon/DNS Changer bot'.
This piece of software found its way onto hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide late last year. The software was designed to re-direct you away from trusted websites, towards spoof websites in a bid to steal financial and personal information.
When the attack was noticed, the FBI took the unusual step of setting up a 'safety-net', routing infected machines through their server to stop the 'spoof' attacks.
But these servers will be taken down on Monday, and when this happens, people still infected are likely to lose their internet connection without warning.

See link below for full story

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2169130/Alureon-virus-FBI-warn-PC-WILL-kicked-internet-Monday.html#ixzz1zllEzO22

Overcast
July 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/blackout-monday-dns-changer-know-155840354.html

Thousands of computer users may lose Internet access on Monday, when the deadline for a temporary fix to a malicious software scam shut down by the FBI last year expires.
What is it?
Millions of computers were infected with the so-called "Internet Doomsday" virus used in the hacking scam, which redirected Internet searches through DNS servers used by the scammers. (Who, in turn, allegedly netted $14 million in bogus advertising revenue.) After U.S. and Estonian authorities busted the malware ring last November, a federal judge ordered that the FBI use temporary servers while the malware victims' PCs were repaired. The temporary servers will shut down at 12:01 a.m. EDT on Monday, meaning anyone using a computer still infected with the virus will likely lose Internet access.
"Connectivity will be lost to the Internet PERIOD," Symantec, the online security firm, said in a blog post. "If your computer is still using DNS entries that are pointing to the FBI servers on July 9, you will lose TOTAL access to the Internet. No connecting to the office from home, no updating Facebook, nothing until the DNS settings are fixed."
How many computers have it?
It's unclear how widespread the "blackout" will be. According to a working group set up by security experts, more than 300,000 computers remained infected as of June 11, including 69,000 in the United States. Last week, 245,000 computers were said to be still infected with the so-called Alureon virus, according online security firm Deteque, including 45,355 U.S. machines.
Wired estimates 64,000 U.S. users and an additional 200,000 users outside the United States are still infected with the malware, "despite repeated warnings in the news, e-mail messages sent by ISPs and alerts posted by Google and Facebook." According to Internet Identity, another IT security firm, "12 percent of all Fortune 500 companies and four percent of 'major' U.S. federal agencies are still infected with DNSChanger malware."
But it's also unclear how many of those machines are still in use.
What you can do
According to Reuters, U.S. Internet providers including AT&T and Time Warner Cable "have made temporary arrangements so that their customers will be able to access the Internet using the address of the rogue DNS servers." And the problem, security experts say, is relatively easy to fix.
"It's a very easy one to fix," Gunter Ollmann, vice president of research for security company Damballa, told the news service. "There are plenty of tools available."
Online security firms, Facebook and the FBI are offering free diagnostic checks for users whose computers may be infected. Here are links to several:

Ambrosia
July 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Oh. Mai. Gawd.

IS THIS WHAT THE END OF THE WORLD IS????

Noooooooooooo!

Overcast
July 8th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Oh. Mai. Gawd.

IS THIS WHAT THE END OF THE WORLD IS????

Noooooooooooo!

haha it is!!

Jess
July 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I checked my laptop and seems like mine isn't infected.

might be the end of the world for some that do have infected computers though...

vitorioso
July 8th, 2012, 06:59 PM
It's 500,000 computers that are infected, compared to the 5 BILLION devices connected to the Internet. There is a 1 out of 10,000 chance of this affecting you. Trust me, you WON'T be affected.

Error 404
July 8th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Malware isn't a big problem to fix, so...

Hatsune Miku
July 8th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Only extremely old computers with no anti virus would get this. Lol, it's nothing to worry about.

InfinantSilence
July 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Fuck me. This shit happened to me. And i cussed the router out for it. To bad my computer eventually crashed:(

Cognizant
July 8th, 2012, 11:46 PM
It's 500,000 computers that are infected, compared to the 5 BILLION devices connected to the Internet. There is a 1 out of 10,000 chance of this affecting you. Trust me, you WON'T be affected.

My grandfather got it on his computer, apparently.

But what are the effects of it?

Rayquaza
July 9th, 2012, 10:01 AM
They're telling us that "this piece of software found its way to computers" but they aren't telling us how. Is it through some sort of silent donwload? Is it a trojan virus? Or does it get installed with PUPs? The good news is that this computer im using at the moment gave me the green DNS check thing. Yay.

Caver
July 9th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Interesting facts, that i've never heard before.

Cognizant
July 9th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Yikes..

ImCoolBeans
July 11th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I've merged these two threads.

Mynick
July 11th, 2012, 04:57 PM
They're telling us that "this piece of software found its way to computers" but they aren't telling us how. Is it through some sort of silent donwload? Is it a trojan virus? Or does it get installed with PUPs? The good news is that this computer im using at the moment gave me the green DNS check thing. Yay.
From what i have read it is from a Javascript on a compromise webpage.
http://thehackernews.com/2012/07/dnschanger-malware-thousands-may-lose.html

Sugaree
July 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM
>mfw people in my town freaking out
>mfw they were valuing each and every minute of their precious internet
>mfw July 9th came
>mfw July 9th went
>mfw nothing happened
>mfw everyone goes back to living normal lives attached to their iPhones and other internet capable devices

http://i.imgur.com/3mmgX.jpg