PDA

View Full Version : Ban on 16 OZ Soda Drinks

StoppingTime
May 31st, 2012, 09:30 PM
NEW YORK — Is the Big Gulp to blame for obesity in the Big Apple? New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg thinks so.
But Bloomberg's proposal today that the city ban restaurants, delis and movie theaters from serving large cups of sodas and other sugary drinks is a bitter
twist for companies that make beverages like Coke, Dr Pepper and Pepsi. The ban, which would be the first of its kind in the nation, comes at a time when
soda consumption has been declining.
The industry has struggled in recent years as more health-conscious Americans have shifted away from sugary sodas toward bottled water and sports
drinks like Gatorade. That's led to a 20 percent reduction in the calories consumed per capita through carbonated beverages over the past decade,
according industry tracker Beverage Digest. Under Bloomberg's proposed ban, soda consumption could slip further.
The ban would impose a 16-ounce limit on any sugary bottled or fountain drinks that contain more than 25 calories per 8 ounces. It would not affect diet
soda and any drink that is at least half milk or milk substitute would be exempt. The proposal requires the approval of the city's Board of Health —
considered likely because its members all are appointed by Bloomberg.
It's difficult to estimate the potential financial impact of the proposed ban because there's no breakdown of what percentage of drinks sold are over the
proposed the size limit or how consumers and retailers would adjust if the ban were in place.
But Mark Kalinowski, an analyst with Janney Capital Markets who covers companies including McDonald's, said that sodas carry high margins for
beverage companies. Any successful effort by the government to ban large drinks, he said, would be bad for the industry.
Kalinowski said he doesn't think the ban will pass. But he joked that if it did, customers would revolt.
“Folks who want to buy Big Gulps and Frappuccinos, a lot of those customers, you're only going to be able to take it away from them by prying it out of
their cold, dead hands,” he said. “What are you going to do? Post a guard making sure that no patrons order no more than two or more beverages?
Maybe the mayor can outlaw all soft drinks and outlaw all fun while he's at it.”
PepsiCo Inc., the nation's second largest soda maker, declined to comment on the proposal, referring questions to the New York City Beverage
Association. But Coca-Cola Co., the largest U.S. soda maker, today blasted the move.
“The people of New York City are much smarter than the New York City Health Department believes,” the Atlanta-based company said in a statement.
“New Yorkers expect and deserve better than this. They can make their own choices about the beverages they purchase. We hope New Yorkers loudly
voice their disapproval about this arbitrary mandate.”
This certainly is not the first time the industry has had to defend itself from those blaming sodas for America's expanding waistline.
In announcing the proposal, Bloomberg's office said the single largest driver of rising obesity rates is sugary drinks, which have grown in size over the
years. The mayor's office noted that the size of a large drink at fast food chains has doubled to 64 ounces. The Center for Science in the Public Interest
said sugary soft drinks are “nutritionally worthless products” in applauding the proposal.
Meanwhile, the industry has scrambled in recent years to win back consumers — and fight off critics — by offering choices that address growing health
concerns:
Pepsi earlier this year introduced its Pepsi Next, which has about half the calories of regular sodas (or 60 calories, versus 140). The Purchase, N.Y.-
based company says the early reports on sales are positive.
Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc. last year rolled out its “Dr Pepper Ten,” which has just 10 calories. Based on the initial success, the company is testing
the 10-calorie formula with other drinks including Sunkist and Canada Dry.
Coca-Cola is set to start testing its mid-calorie versions of its Fanta and Sprite in select cities in the coming weeks. In the past few years, the company
has also offered its drinks in a variety of smaller sizes. For example, the company in 2009 introduced a 7.5-ounce “mini-can.”
As of the end of last year, the company also started printing the total caloric content on the front of its beverages, rather than making consumers do the
math with the serving sizes on nutrition panels.

~http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/233084/group/homepage/

Thoughts?
Personally, I think it's ridiculous that they are trying to say what we can and cannot drink. The line has to be drawn somewhere, no?

Jupiter
May 31st, 2012, 09:37 PM
Greeeeeat!

boonsim
May 31st, 2012, 09:46 PM
I thought this was America. Come on, what's more American than overconsumption? :)

Incompris
May 31st, 2012, 09:58 PM
Dont we have bigger issues in the world than over consumption of drinks

PoseidonX43
June 1st, 2012, 12:34 AM
This is just plan stupid.

Perfectly Flawed
June 1st, 2012, 02:56 AM
Don't worry guys 20 oz. Drinks are still perfectly fine. Party on!

Mortal Coil
June 1st, 2012, 04:13 AM
I think it's a good idea, but can see how this would be annoying.

Aves
June 1st, 2012, 04:18 AM
Don't they have more worth wile things to do like come up with bullshit reasons for marijuana being illegal? This is dumb and I hope this ban dies in a fire.

StoppingTime
June 2nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
Don't worry guys 20 oz. Drinks are still perfectly fine. Party on!

It would be a ban on 16+ oz drinks.

Jess
June 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
I agree with Alex. good idea, but honestly there are more serious issues......:/

Maverick
June 2nd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Anyone heard of refills?

Thunduhbuhlt
June 2nd, 2012, 10:31 PM
Anyone heard of refills?

Exactly. What's different if you get an 8 or 12 ounce and refill? The idea just won't work, even though it could help if it was different.

Greg1994
June 2nd, 2012, 10:43 PM
Ya, this will solve our obesity problems...

AutumnDae
June 2nd, 2012, 10:45 PM
"I'll get the 32 oz soda."
"Sorry, we don't have those. We just have 16 oz now."
"Alright, I'll take two."

Skyhawk
June 3rd, 2012, 01:25 AM
Exactly. What's different if you get an 8 or 12 ounce and refill? The idea just won't work, even though it could help if it was different.

1. Can't refill your bottle of Coke at a vending machine.
2. Some fast-food restaurants do not have public fountain-machine-things (whatever they're called) and will probably be eradicated.

Some people do that already just to be cheap. :)
--
While I do think this will be the best for the people, this takes another freedom away from us.

I personally don't drink anything carbonated 'cause they all suck (:P) but I do like my iced teas.

Only 8 million people live in NYC, this is NYC only so there's still another 7 billion people who aren't affected by this.

Infidelitas
June 3rd, 2012, 03:28 AM
Ain't gonna stop people going back to the Post-Mix machines for a refill....

Professional Russian
June 3rd, 2012, 07:51 AM
Oh when will they learn. Just buy a 2 liter bottle and drink that or do what i do just drink from the gallon...of tea. i drink from the gallon of tea.

Thunderstorm
June 3rd, 2012, 06:25 PM
Yes...the Nation's biggest city will also cause the biggest drop in the economy...and what I heard on Fox 5 (I'm in the NYC Metro) was that Bloomberg is a hipocrit! My 2nd blog post says so. He banned large sodas, but he's promoted National Donut Day! Really? So much for preventing American Obesity...why do we even have National Donut Day?

Abnormal
June 3rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
I think its rather stupid that they have to ban 16 oz soda drinks just because fat people can't control themselves. Why do others have to suffer because fat people don't know when to stop eating/drinking? That doesn't make any sense.

PerpetualImperfexion
June 3rd, 2012, 09:33 PM
There should be a warning about what over consumption of pop can lead to, but completely telling people what they can and cannot do is ridiculous and infringes on a MAJOR right. People have the right to do anything they want, no matter how irrational it is, as long as it does not directly harm another human being (or living thing in SOME cases).

CharmOfTheSOuth
June 3rd, 2012, 10:22 PM
I think it's gay that we have to suffer for other peoples abuse

Cicero
June 3rd, 2012, 11:15 PM
I think its rather stupid that they have to ban 16 oz soda drinks just because fat people can't control themselves. Why do others have to suffer because fat people don't know when to stop eating/drinking? That doesn't make any sense.

I agree ^^

Plus, it won't make them stop, they'll just get 12 ounce cans.

WickedWeekend
June 4th, 2012, 12:26 AM
It would be a ban on 16+ oz drinks.

In that case, we could buy more to add up to the amount of soda we want. More money to spend then!

Looks like the government is trying harder to leech our money away from us.

I think it's gay that we have to suffer for other peoples abuse

That is very offensive to actual homosexual people.

Neptune
June 4th, 2012, 02:20 AM
I think that the government has no right getting involved with peoples personal life if it is not going to hurt anybody else.

Drinking soda is bad for you, got that. But it's bad for you not someone else. If you wanna drink your life away, go ahead. I can understand banning smoking in public (second-hand smoking effects other peoples health) and stuff like that. But soda does not hurt anybody else except the one who is drinking it.

Bloomberg should stop worrying about other peoples problems and actually run his city.

Trendea
June 5th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Somebody better stop trying to take away my sugar

PinkFloyd
July 21st, 2012, 10:04 AM
When you say soda drinks, do you mean Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, barks rb, fanta, minute maid lemonade, mellow yellow, Rc cola, Dr. pepper, 7 up, faygo rb, faygo moon mist, faygo orange, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, mug rb, sierra mist, MOUNTAIN DEW a&w rb, sunkist and sundrop? (pretty sure i named about every soda there is...) but what about 16 oz energy drinks like monster, nos, amp, etc? I was just in nyc and there were those energy drinks being sold. Not to mention... what about 20 oz bottles?

overall I think the ban is stupid

cgk101
July 26th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Wowww

Professional Russian
July 29th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Wow how dumb are people today. ok so what if they ban 16 oz. drinks its not the end of the world just buy more of same drink and you'll get more than 16 oz. I thought the person trying to ban 16 oz. drinks would know that you could just buy more cans/bottles of the same drink

Listed MIA
July 29th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Just what we need - someone to save us from ourselves. (being sarcastic of course) Good way of ripping people off though. 2 smaller drinks is going to cost more than one bigger one. i bet its more about money than health.

Professional Russian
July 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Just what we need - someone to save us from ourselves. (being sarcastic of course) Good way of ripping people off though. 2 smaller drinks is going to cost more than one bigger one. i bet its more about money than health.

Probably. i dont doubt the US just wants more money everyone in the US just wants more. I cant say i dont want money because i want alot of it. I dont need it but i want just like every other american but a few americans have the luxury of haveing that money.

Christine.
July 29th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Haha I saw this on the Daily Show. Such a stupid idea. You could just buy two 8 oz if you wanted

gothicsanctum
July 30th, 2012, 02:06 AM
This is so stupid

Professional Russian
August 3rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
well now that think about why dont they just gallons too like my gallon of tea i have everyday and as someone else said the government is just trying to get more of our money

Mob Boss
August 3rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
There should be a warning about what over consumption of pop can lead to, but completely telling people what they can and cannot do is ridiculous and infringes on a MAJOR right. People have the right to do anything they want, no matter how irrational it is, as long as it does not directly harm another human being (or living thing in SOME cases).

I agree. I think a warning should be fine, and if people are going to choose an unhealthy lifestyle it's not really the government's business.

Carlyle
August 3rd, 2012, 01:38 PM
I find this humorous. Why waste the time on this? They should be doing something more important with there time. Besides, why should we ban something because some people don't have any self control?

West Coast Sheriff
August 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
That's stupid

War-Is-Real
August 3rd, 2012, 09:19 PM
Haha. Watch our economy fail.

riguy99
August 5th, 2012, 07:06 PM
if they do ban 16 oz soda drinks people will buy 2 instead on 1. thats what i would do.

huginnmuninn
August 5th, 2012, 09:02 PM
how do people not realize that the cause of obesity isn't that people have access to foods it's that they choose to consume a large of amount. banning food or drinks won't stop people from drinking or eating large amounts all it will do is make people buy more.

hello8
March 19th, 2013, 03:36 AM
good action..

Skyline
March 19th, 2013, 05:27 AM
good action..

Please do not post in threads that are older than 2 months. :locked:

StoppingTime
March 19th, 2013, 07:03 AM
I know this is locked, but just as an update, this never passed. :P