PDA

View Full Version : Too Anxious to Seek Help for Anxiety?

starbrite5
May 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
I seriously think I may have some sort of anxiety disorder. My anxiety interferes with my life on a daily basis and makes it very difficult for me to cope in many social situations. It's not anything new; ever since I was a kid I have always been extremely panicky and over-cautious. This year, the constant feelings of inadequacy and fear have had a serious impact on my grades. I hate feeling like I'm being a burden to other people. I try to need as few things as possible to make things easier for my family and friends. My sister already has many mental health issues that my parents shell out quite a bit of money for, and I've always been the good kid that didn't need anything. I don't think my parents could handle the financial burden of another kid with anxiety issues, but I'm really sick of my problems getting put on the back-burner, especially because it can be so triggering. My best friend mentioned that she thinks someone should speak to my parents on my behalf since just the thought of mentioning it to them is enough to make my heart palpitate. I'm not really comfortable with that either, but I don't know what to do to stop feeling like this.

Ryhanna
May 22nd, 2012, 12:02 AM
I suffer from anxiety disorder also.

You don't necessarily need to seek help from a cousellor. Have you checked anything out online? There are simple relaxation techniques that I learnt that can be quite helpful when I'm feeling anxious.

My best advice is to take deep breaths and think positively. If you think counselling might be a good idea, talk to your parents about it. I know you said you don't want to ask them personally, and I totally understand how you feel, but I think it's important that you be brave enough to take that first step. :)

You can PM me if you want about anxiety with someone who also experiences it. :)

Sonic Boom
May 22nd, 2012, 01:56 AM
Speaking from experience, I think it's important to get medication for this. It helps a lot.

But if you feel guilty about making your parents pay for the whole cost, why not get a weekend job to help pay for it?

aggresivechild
May 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
as teejay said, it's really important to get help or medicine if it's needed. if it's gad it won't go away, it'll only get worse. just try speaking to your mom or dad (whoever you feel comfortable at first).