PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety Disorder

razorblade-wolfveins
April 7th, 2012, 06:27 AM
So, apparently I have Social Anxiety or Phobia or whatever you want to call it. So much fun. My guidance counselor was getting worried about me, so she made me take the SPIN. (Social Phobia Inventory, for those of you who don't know.) The score that indicates Social Phobia is like 19 or something. Mine was a whopping 46. She called home. My parents, being idiots, didn't even care. They asked if it was their fault and then insisted hugs fix everything. Whatever. It's just so hard to deal with alone. Gosh, I can't even take the bus to school. Anyone else around here have to go through this?

Fractured Silhouette
April 7th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Social Anxiety high five?

Deleted User
April 7th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I go through this too, sometimes pretty badly. It was the first thing I was diagnosed with. At the time, I couldn't take the bus, I could barely walk through the hallways at school and sometimes couldn't even make eye contact with my own parents while talking to them because I was so scared of how much they were judging me and was convinced I could hear every negative thought.

It does become manageable though. I have to take the subway and bus to school everyday so exposure to the situations did honestly help. I still have to take the more empty buses and I can't eat or drink anything on them in case anyone watches ('cause that makes it come back pretty bad) but I can take the bus with almost no problem and I can get through the school hallways.

I don't know the specifics on what makes you socially anxious or how you feel when you are but I'd be more than happy to try to help you out or just chat. :) You're not alone.

razorblade-wolfveins
April 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
@Cynical Enigma *High five* haha
@Magenta Thanks. :)

ApresMidi
April 14th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Yeah I got 31 :L I never thought it was that bad, guess I just considered it normal.

Talking on the telephone is one of my weakest points , if i have to call, my heart rate goes right up and all that jazz.

Sorry , dont want to steal thread so tell me off if you want but ... I have to do a 2 min speech in English next term.

Yeah.

Just thinking about it makes my blood pressure go up.
Its compulsory, at least ,if you want good grades - its part of final result.

Any advice? Good, easy topics to talk about?

DejaVu
April 14th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Go to your psychiatrist, benzodiazepines do wonders for social anxiety.

Syvelocin
April 14th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I just took an online version (first one that popped up on google) and it gave me a 56? I think that may be an exaggeration. I've met people who can barely talk online and I'm really talkative online. Put me in a social situation and I'm a mess though. I'm diagnosed, I don't take anxiety meds but I'm working on it by myself through exposure.

I left public school for a period of time and what really was the breaking point was that my counsellor was completely apathetic toward me with all my mental disorders when I was seeking help and she thought I was going to her just to get out of class and every time she saw me in the office she said to go back to class. Even when I came to her in tears during a mental crisis. She let me eat in the office a whole two times and then said no. I tried to return to the canteen and I just couldn't do it. Canteens are hard for me. There's so much to it. My food anxiety, the fear of people looking at me and judging me for how much I'm eating (which is irrational and due to anorexia, I know. My social anxiety seems to cross borders with my anorexia and BDD), and then there was the constant fear that I'd trip and spill my food and everyone would look at me and... it just grew to be too intense.

Not that I recommend online or homeschool for you. If it's really bad, can't cope with it, it would be beneficial just so you weren't distracted from your work but I'd also recommend treatment throughout that. I feel like cooping myself up makes it even worse.