PDA

View Full Version : Compulsive music listening

Smeagol
March 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Can this be classified as a form of OCD? Because, i have this compulsive thing where I feel like I need to listen to Bonnie Dundee over and over and over... ever since my grandma died a couple years ago. And, the funny thing is, she was Irish, not Scottish. I finally learned to play it on the guitar, and now I'm even more obsessed. What is the best thing to do because I sense that this is not a healthy behavior to only listen to one song and exclude other forms of art?

Spook
March 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
It COULD be a form of OCD, but it depends on several factors. Being a sufferer of OCD myself, I could probably help you figure it out. :P

1. Do you feel like something bad (an event, harm to a family member, just plainly- 'something bad'?) is going to happen if you don't listen to the song?
2. Do you repeat the song at intervals/ count beats in the melody obsessively?

On the other hand-

1. Are you able to pull yourself away from listening to the music or able to listen to another song without being very upset or worried?

These are a couple things that could help determine. It would help if you would be more specific on the obsessiveness. Possibly, though- the music is just your way of remembering and greiving for your grandma.

Smeagol
March 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Well, the song has no connection to my grandma, really... Eh, I just get depressed if I don't listen to it, and I obsessed over it so much I figured out how to play it on the guitar. And I just get vexed with other songs and go back to Bonnie Dundee.

DejaVu
March 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Nah it's not OCD; OCD would be playing the song X times, or certain passage X times, over and over again. Or always having to play the song at a particular time of the day.

Smeagol
March 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Ok thats good... I guess I have something else about it, because, I learned to play the guitar only to play it, I have to listen to it almost constantly, and it has to be a certain version of it.

DejaVu
March 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
That's an obsession, but it's not OCD :P You'll get bored of it eventually if you listen to is so much, I'm sure.

Smeagol
March 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM
It has been going on for two years now.

DejaVu
March 6th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Wow that's pretty bad. Did your granma listen to that song a lot? Maybe you associate it with her, that's why.