PDA

View Full Version : Meds

peace.love.starving
January 19th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Best meds for ADHD inttentive type? What are your experiences?

Zenithar
January 20th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I've recently started taking adderall starting with 5mg and going up to 10mg (which is the current), and so far, I'm having decent results.

I've been through a pretty large range of ADHD medications and I cannot remember most of them. Here's a list of what I can remember and my experiences in no particular order.

1. Desoxyn (methamphetamine - yes, meth) - I don't remember if it did anything good for me except make me hallucinate. I remember trying to sleep one night and I was seeing a perfect line of insect looking things that were literally colors of the rainbow (the line would be one color, not multi-colored) and they would go from one air vent to the other. I was absolutely terrified of bugs back then. My mother immediately took me off of that one.

2. Concerta (methylphenidate) - I was on this one the longest, probably from 3rd to 8th grade on a huge variety of doses. As my ADHD symptoms faded with age, the dose was adjusted appropriately. Anyway, it worked nicely. I got honor roll every quarter of the school year until the third quarter of 6th grade (damnit, puberty!). The major downside to it was enough to make me want to change the medication. And that downside is as follows - I was practically antisocial on Concerta. I almost never spoke unless spoke to first. I never had any sort of anxiety or anything that would make me silent, I just didn't want to talk. The teachers actually described me as zombie-like when I'm on the medicine, but when I'm off (I forget a few doses here and there :P), I'm the most happy-go-lucky kid around. I guess I was just... "too focused" while I was on Concerta. I suppose I showed depression symptoms, only without the sadness associated with it. Oh, and let's not forget to mention, my appetite was crap and I was badly underweight. When my doses were lowered (and eventually removed), I have to say my social life drastically improved,

3. Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) - This one was one of the better ones. I took it through the ninth grade and I had good results; I could still be social, I could eat right (the variety of things I ate at least tripled ever since I got off concerta... I remember the day I wouldn't touch a baby back rib), and I could still make a fool of myself if I wanted to. The downside was that it still had the 'depressing' feeling I had while I was on concerta.

4. Adderall (amphetamine/dextroamphetamine) - I only recently started taking this as stated before, but I have to say, I'm having good results on just 10mg alone, which is a pretty low dose. After nearly two quarters of the school year of being off the meds due to the side effect I hated so much, my grades suffered. Bad. Although I made a deal with my parents that if I get poor grades, it's back on the meds, I was actually the one who asked them for meds. So we got an entirely new doctor (this doctor is pretty cool - he actually listens and formulates plans that work for me, not to mention he's a great listener), and he prescribed me adderall at 5mg, so I can work my way up and perfectly balance the benefits of the medications with the side effects. I have a friend also with ADHD who takes adderall and she says good things about it, so I was anticipating it. 5mg is nothing; it was just to get my body used to it. When we kicked it up to 10mg, I began to notice it. I found it so much easier to begin working and pay attention to lessons instead of day-dreaming them off. And best of all, that dreaded side effect I had before on the other two was gone. The only negative things I can think of about Adderall are some minor headaches (don't take my word for it on that one, I probably just need to drink more water), a bit of shakiness (I've got below average blood pressure, so...), and a slightly faster heartbeat, which is no biggie.
I have to say, adderall somewhat helps me perform better when I work out. Despite this, I would not recommend using it as a performance enhancer. At all.

I hope you find the right ADHD medication for yourself. There's all different kinds and different doses of each kind that should fit right for you. Hope I helped a bit, too ;)

peace.love.starving
January 21st, 2012, 09:19 PM
I have ADHD and I'm Bipolar but they still haven't prescribed me meds for my ADHD. I think it's because I have an ED. They think I might take it to lose weight or something.