PDA

View Full Version : Up, down, up, down

Alexithymia
January 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm pretty sure I have bipolar disorder. I haven't been diagnosed, but I have been started on medication for it. (Abilify, in addition to Prozac.) I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take before it works, but up and down is starting to get me feeling even worse. My "ups" are me feeling irritable, easily angered, but laughing at everything. I feel like everyone should be paying attention to me. My "downs" are basically just severe depression. And they're getting even more severe after I've started the medicine.

The "up" is easy to deal with. I just have to make sure I listen to reason. I may respond a bit slower, but I can deal with it. However, my lows are terrible. I can't do anything. I'm just depressed. I don't even want to die, I just want to not exist. I'm too tired to even try and kill myself. I'm just ready to sleep and sleep. I could sleep forever.

I'm not asking how to deal with this, but should I be taken off the medicine, tell my parents, find a foolproof way to cope (such as cutting - as much as I shouldn't, it could save my life in the worst situations), or just suffer through it and hope that the medicine starts to work soon?

RedInkLies
January 2nd, 2012, 09:34 PM
I don't know, honestly. Cutting is kind of a suckish option. My grandmother is bipolar and she refuses to take her medicine and experiences some of the things you're talking about. If the meds don't work...AND you haven't been diagnosed...I'm not sure you should take them. Tell your parents they aren't working. I take meds for Narcolepsy and ADHD and I had to do some serious self medicating before I figured out I needed different medication all together. Prozac is just a drug like any other and has a bit of a shitty comedown. You have to figure out with your doctor if the "up" is worth the "down."

Amaryllis
January 3rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hey honey, sorry it took me so long to reply - I've been, admittedly, doing some psych ward avoidance and I apologise for that. Mark, I may not show it very well but I -do- care about you very much. You're my friend and I love you. If I were to find out you killed yourself, I'd feel very much responsible.

You should tell your parents as well as the psychiatrist you're seeing(you -are- seeing one, aren't you? If not, please find one. A good one. And if he/she doesn't help, find another.) Cutting doesn't make it better, Mark. You should know. I haven't cut in almost 10 weeks :) I'm not going to lie, there is still that weight on me that just never seems to go away no matter what I do.

But things are still much better.

There's really nothing but talk to your mental health professional and parents, Mark. That's the best move to make. You could talk to some others with bipolar disorder but what may work for them may not work for you. But self-diagnosing is never a good thing. Avoid looking up information on the symptoms of bipolar disorders, you might take on the symptoms you read about.

Good luck, Mark. Take care <3

Abyssal Echo
January 12th, 2012, 03:18 AM
I'm pretty sure I have bipolar disorder. I haven't been diagnosed, but I have been started on medication for it. (Abilify, in addition to Prozac.) I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take before it works, but up and down is starting to get me feeling even worse. My "ups" are me feeling irritable, easily angered, but laughing at everything. I feel like everyone should be paying attention to me. My "downs" are basically just severe depression. And they're getting even more severe after I've started the medicine.

The "up" is easy to deal with. I just have to make sure I listen to reason. I may respond a bit slower, but I can deal with it. However, my lows are terrible. I can't do anything. I'm just depressed. I don't even want to die, I just want to not exist. I'm too tired to even try and kill myself. I'm just ready to sleep and sleep. I could sleep forever.

I'm not asking how to deal with this, but should I be taken off the medicine, tell my parents, find a foolproof way to cope (such as cutting - as much as I shouldn't, it could save my life in the worst situations), or just suffer through it and hope that the medicine starts to work soon?

mark,
I have been dianosed Bi Polar with scitzoeffective disorder...with sucicidal tendencies... Ok ..yea I hear voices some times I have tried suicide 4 or 5 times. Anyhow for what its worth I take like 375mg of effexor and some other crap. my psyc wanted me to try Abilify but I didn't because one of the side effects was possible suicide. I have enough thoughts of that on my own. I did better on Lithium but hated the blood tests all the time.....I hate needles anyway so, I tried to OD on the litium and ended up in the hospital with a short stay in the psyc ward. now I cant get the lithium anymore....but that was my screw up and have to deal with it. I know all about the sleep thing...thatswhat I do most of the time. I found this site just lookin for some answers for some personal stuff...read some of the topics along with the posts the advice seemed pretty good to me so I joined...... Sometimes the meds can take weeks to feel the full affect of them but only takes days of not taking them to get them out of your system.... I cant tell you what to do.
It sounds to me like the meds are not working 4 U they need to try something else.