PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety-need advice today!!

foreverautumn.
October 29th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Hi, this is my first post here.
Really need some advice if anyone has any.

I've always had bad anxiety and been claustrophobic, but it's gotten steadily worse over the years. These days there's a lot of things that I just can't do because of it, and the list keeps growing.
I'm getting CBT have been for months) but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

But my problem right now is tonight:
Me and my friends have been planning a halloween party for weeks to be at a friends house. We were just going to get some food and watch a few horror films- I've been looking forward to it.
But yesterday I realised that I havn't been to any one elses house in ages. Then I got thinking about the fact that they might lock the doors while I'm there, and I won't be able to get out. I'm really panicking about it now. I've even had thoughts of trying to steal a house key while I'm there to make sure I can get out, and then leave it as I go. But I probably won't be able to find one.
I'm seriousley worried that I'll have a panic attack there, and so I'm making excuses not to go. But I really want to go.
I don't think I can though.

Does anyone have any advice that might help me to go. Please! It's tonight.
I wish I wasn't such a freak, this shouldn't be so scary for me.
help :(

cmdexe
October 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
If they lock the doors you can usually still get out. Most doors unlock from the inside. But these guys are your friends, they wouldn't do that to you. If they are the kind of people that might do that, tell them that you have a headache or feel a bit sick or something so they won't feel like winding you up and they'll be a bit sympathetic, hence if they thought locking you in was funny, they still wouldn't do it.

I don't know why you think they would do that, but I've never heard of anyone doing that. Try not to worry -- try some relaxation techniques if you get really anxious like deep breathing and relaxing, or distract yourself. Maybe talk to your therapist about stuff like this if it happens often because they are there to help you, not to make you feel worse. :)

You really want to go, so do! The key thing with anxiety is to do the things that scare you, so you realise they're not that bad and you can enjoy what you like doing. If you cancel, you might allow the fear and anxiety to get worse and you won't be able to enjoy your friends' company, which sucks, so definitely go for it :) if your friends know about your anxiety then let them know how you feel and they might help.

you're not a freak, anxiety is a physical thing (chemicals and stuff) that you kinda have to suffer with until your brain realises how to stop it. don't worry. you can't help getting it in the first place, but you can manage it to stop it getting worse :)

foreverautumn.
October 29th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks alot, thats really helpful :)